Quantcast

don't know if its been posted, but whos getting one!

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
you want!

or

you don't want!

IMO whats the point of this thing just to look cool and make you stand out more

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
they are out now correct (at least thats what beyond bikes says, but i know, i know, it is beyond bikes anyways)

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
What??? (directed to zmtber)

It's for super D. It's more protection than a typical half face helmet. The colors are cool, but I don't like the graphic that much. I would rather just wear a full face for S-D, but that's just me.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
ha-ha very true, the thing is whats the deal with the half full-face? Isn't the big and most important aspect about a full-face is that they have a jaw/chin protector. I just don't see why they ever made this thing it serves no real purpose, if your going to get this thing think twice and buy two or three DJ lids.

what is it for to protect your new sideburns?

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
mtnbrider said:

It's for super D. It's more protection than a typical half face helmet. The colors are cool, but I don't like the graphic that much. I would rather just wear a full face for S-D, but that's just me.
Full Face for Super D would be hell.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
mtnbrider said:

come on whats the point with new FF helmets. The specialized deviant, that is probably lighter, and other helmets in that range are being made, making this thing almost completely pointless. IMO there is no real reason for this. However you probably get more vision out of the thing, I'll give you that.

and for super d can't you just use a DJ lid?

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
honestly i think the thing is hideous. the D2 is probably the dopest DH/BMX lid around.... painted, plain, stickered...it just looks cool.

it's funny how if you cut it in 1/2... ugggh

several companies had these lids out years ago (i know bell had one)...for aba bmx i think..... it didn't sell well (well the bell was uglier, but that's besides the point) I can't see these selling well. the only guys i know that would run these things are the pit crew at nascar races.... even they run cut down D2s

i'd rather run a skate lid that's a tad bit smaller, lighter, vents better & looks cooler....not to mention it's gotta be $200 cheaper!

just my 2cents

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
mtnbrider said:
I was only pointing out that it would protect your head more than a DJ helmet. I didn't say I thought it looked cool or didn't.
Eh...how?

And why not just wear an XC helmet during a Supah-D?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Well, i guess it depends on the super-D course. Big Bear had a technical course I heard.

It covers the back of the head more, and looks to have better padding than a typical DJ helmet.

Okay, then, a FF is dumb for super-D, move on...

I heard it was designed specifically for super-D. It wasn't my idea okay...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
mtnbrider said:
Well, i guess it depends on the super-D course. Big Bear had a technical course I heard.

It covers the back of the head more, and looks to have better padding than a typical DJ helmet.
First off...why would you wear a DJ helmet during an SD race? Doesn't protect your noggin any better than an XC helmet.

Second, since when did people hit the backs of their heads whilst wearing an XC helmet? Unless you manage to get a nice pointy rock in between your helmet and your neck...

I dunno. I guess I just like proving that TLD has once again come out with an overpriced and overrated product...and this time it doesn't even have looks going for it.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
thats the only style of helmet youd see in the ABA in the 80's and early 90's even. I think its partially for nostalgia purposes. I think its a good helmet for 4x and slopestyle. Where you need the big impact protection you dont get from skate lids and dont really have to worry about rocks and what not.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
i just dont understand what happens when you fall on a rock and it goes right into your face, then you be wishing you didnt get this stupid ass helmet.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
renegade999 said:
I'll buy one and run my old Jofa mouthguard. because i can.
No snaps...cant attach the Jofa

I think they should call it the Tooth Losening Device...TLD

If you are going to sacrifice the protection of a full face, why would you not go for a helmet with some venting?

As for the 80's BMX helmets, they were a little different, no cheek extention, very low profile, plus it was all that was available at the time. This thing looks like one of those street motorcycle helmets withthe face that hinges up, but with the chin bar removed like this http://www.hjchelmets.com/symax.htm

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
more info (price):

The new open-face D2 helmet has the same quality construction and revolutionary styling as the classic D2 (Daytona 2), but its versatility makes it a perfect fit for many sports including skiing, snowboarding and bicycling.
All D2 helmets are created by using aerospace technology. A multi-layer construction process, pre-preg materials and a high pressure curing technology are all called into action to create the industry's premier helmet.
All D2 helmets come with a helmet bag, a fit-kit, and an owner's manual. D2 helmets meet or exceed safety approval rating requirements from CSPC, ASTM (BMX and downhill), and DE.
Buckle chin strap
Retro-style open face
Troy Lee Designs
Price: $225.00

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
i would not use it for sking there is no point and it probably doesn't keep you worm enough to be considered to use in stormy conditions plus the visor would just fly away

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
zmtber said:
more info (price):

The new open-face D2 helmet has the same quality construction and revolutionary styling as the classic D2 (Daytona 2), but its versatility makes it a perfect fit for many sports including skiing, snowboarding and bicycling.
All D2 helmets are created by using aerospace technology. A multi-layer construction process, pre-preg materials and a high pressure curing technology are all called into action to create the industry's premier helmet.
All D2 helmets come with a helmet bag, a fit-kit, and an owner's manual. D2 helmets meet or exceed safety approval rating requirements from CSPC, ASTM (BMX and downhill), and DE.
Buckle chin strap
Retro-style open face
Troy Lee Designs
Price: $225.00
:banghead:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
zmtber said:
i would not use it for sking there is no point and it probably doesn't keep you worm enough to be considered to use in stormy conditions plus the visor would just fly away
Spoken like a person who's been skiing twice in their life.

:rolleyes:

And $225? That's cute...

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i could see it being a good lid for someone who has had a bunch of concussions(price) and needs a helmet for djing or whatever that will protect them more than a regular dj helmet but they dont want to go full face. aside from that i see no point, but in the ad for it that i saw peaty did look pretty badass with some aviators and that helmet on...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Children...I said it once in this thread, I'll say it again.

How does this helmet "protect" you any more so than an XC or DJ lid?

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I could see it being used for rock crawling competitions, or something where a full on snell helmet isn't required and is heavy/hot, a XC helmet would look stupid and a full face restricts vision.

You could also use it just to replace that guy's stupid hat just out of principal.

As for something to pedal, I would rock it for the big wheel DH races.

Backpack1

Monkey
Mar 16, 2005
GNORKAL
Utterly ghastly - but TLD is at the point where folks will suck up whatever they spill...hell I even picked up a white flame 05 D2 on bargain sale and I love it. But not that thing. No sir.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
DylanDeanDesign said:
honestly i think the thing is hideous. the D2 is probably the dopest DH/BMX lid around.... painted, plain, stickered...it just looks cool.

it's funny how if you cut it in 1/2... ugggh

several companies had these lids out years ago (i know bell had one)...for aba bmx i think..... it didn't sell well (well the bell was uglier, but that's besides the point) I can't see these selling well. the only guys i know that would run these things are the pit crew at nascar races.... even they run cut down D2s

i'd rather run a skate lid that's a tad bit smaller, lighter, vents better & looks cooler....not to mention it's gotta be $200 cheaper!

just my 2cents
I want a picture of the expression on your face when someone mails you one to paint!! :love: