Quantcast

Don't skateboard in Boston... are Freeriders next??

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
COPS COLLAR, CUFF, BOOK & BRIG TEENS: FOR SKATEBOARDING
The Boston Herald | 11 August 2004 | Casey Ross

A pair of baby-faced Whitman boys, busted on a public street for illegal skateboarding, were arrested, booked and shackled before being hauled into a Brockton juvenile court to face charges, the children's irate parents said yesterday.

``It's absurd,'' mother Stephanie Saltzman said. ``My son is 12 years old and all he was doing is skateboarding. I mean, you gotta be kidding me.''

Saltzman's son, Josh, and 14-year-old neighbor, Ryan Maxwell, were arrested Aug. 3 when a Whitman police officer caught them skateboading on South Avenue. A town bylaw prohibits using skateboards or other devices to ``coast or slide'' along public streets.

Town officials would not comment on the specifics of the case yesterday, but they said police would not arrest kids unless their illegal actions were more severe than simply skateboarding.

``They would have to be doing something that causes it to rise to that level,'' Town Administrator Frank Lynam said. ``It's at the discretion of the officer to determine whether an arrest should be made.''

Dean Leavitt, the officer who collared the rosy-cheeked boys, declined to comment yesterday.

The boys insisted they were merely skateboarding in front of their homes when an officer took their boards and ordered them into the back of his car. They said they complied without any protest.

``I couldn't believe it was happening over skateboarding,'' Josh Saltzman said. ``We have too many cops that have nothing to do in this town.''

The boys said they were booked at the police station and then driven to Brockton Juvenile Court, where they were locked in a cell for two hours before being led into a courtroom with shackles around their wrists and ankles.

Michael Maxwell, Ryan's father, said he raced to court to pick up his son after he was told the boy would be held overnight if he did not arrive before 3:30 p.m.

``I was sitting in court when they called out his name and I could see his hands and hear the jingling as he walked,'' Maxwell said. ``To arrest a child for riding on a board? I don't know what that serves.''

The boys were ordered to perform 15 hours of community service before Nov. 1.

Town officials said they have had numerous incidents involving skateboarders jumping off library steps, weaving through traffic and creating other disturbances. They say they are trying to find a suitable location for a skateboard park.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
that's pathetic. (like my spelling...;))

what happens is, cops/security guards deal w/ punk as$ skaters all the time. older kids will talk all the smack in the world to these guys. then, when the guards/cops get alone w/ a skater or find some that they can abuse(for lack of a better word) they take advantage of that. (not ALL cops, this isn't a bashing thread.)

think about the guy who is just pedaling along on his bike. going from point A to point B. a cop or guard has just kicked out some kids for jumping the stairs or whatever and this guy on the bike looks like those kids. we as riders can identify different bikes but guards/cops can't allways. so in this situation, the guard see's a guy on a bike and he's alone, so he acts the A-hole to him. thinking it's one of the same guys he just kicked out. but the bike rider is going "what's going on???"

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
What is the world coming to? On a related note, I just got cited for riding my bike at Stanford University, a local urban spot. The funny part was, I wasn't there to ride, I was just riding through to get to a bike shop. Cop sees my bike, pulls me over. Wastes 20 minutes of my time too, ass that he was. I asked what I was doing wrong, and the cop gave me some BS answer. LAME. Now I can't ride there again or I will get taken to court.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
The Kadvang said:
What is the world coming to? On a related note, I just got cited for riding my bike at Stanford University, a local urban spot. The funny part was, I wasn't there to ride, I was just riding through to get to a bike shop. Cop sees my bike, pulls me over. Wastes 20 minutes of my time too, ass that he was. I asked what I was doing wrong, and the cop gave me some BS answer. LAME. Now I can't ride there again or I will get taken to court.

that is EXACTLY what I was talking about. now imagine if the cop was being a real jerk and tried to take your bike, then started to push you in your chest when you tried to take it back. and he kept pushing your chest and being a jerk. happend to my friend awhile back. the guard ended up with a very bloody face......

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
we almost got a $100 ticket for riding our bikes on Washington DC sidewalks. We got away with a warning and the cop was pretty cool about the whole thing. It still sucks that you can't ride your bike or skateboard in certain places.

jv

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
pnj said:
that is EXACTLY what I was talking about. now imagine if the cop was being a real jerk and tried to take your bike, then started to push you in your chest when you tried to take it back. and he kept pushing your chest and being a jerk. happend to my friend awhile back. the guard ended up with a very bloody face......
Oh man if he tried to take my bike he woulda been in a load of trouble... The guy was a real a-hole, but he didnt try to get physical or anything, just the usual cop BS. I'm sick of it.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
i was skateboarding up a UNR two weeks ago, and some of the campus police tried to cite us and give us a ticket. so i said to my two friends the only thing i could think of.

RUN!
(if he cant catch us, he cant give us a tickect)

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
RIDICULOUS. this is absolutely RIDICULOUS.
hard to do on a skateboard, but on my bike i'd just ride away. i'm faster and a better rider than any bike cop.
what do you guys think of refusing to comply with the officers request in a situation like this? i don't mean being an a$$hole and getting beligerant, not cooperating, and starting a fight, but be polite the whole time and just refusing to give them what they demand. so don't show them ID, don't give them your board, simply tell the officer if you want us to leave, just ask nicely and we'll be happy to comply.

someone should clone Manimal and make all the cops like him :thumb:

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
This is beyond over top.

Whitman is a quite suburb that looks like a place Norman Rockwell would have painted. Brockton (where the court was) is drug addicts and gangs, and that is on the good side... why the hell do kids skateboarding need to be brought to a court where the other people in the cells with them are probably in for violent crimes!!!

That cop needs to be suspended at the very least! Typical small town 'bad cop'(not all cops are like this)... nothing but a F'ing bully.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
squarewheels said:
RIDICULOUS. this is absolutely RIDICULOUS.
hard to do on a skateboard, but on my bike i'd just ride away. i'm faster and a better rider than any bike cop.
what do you guys think of refusing to comply with the officers request in a situation like this? i don't mean being an a$$hole and getting beligerant, not cooperating, and starting a fight, but be polite the whole time and just refusing to give them what they demand. so don't show them ID, don't give them your board, simply tell the officer if you want us to leave, just ask nicely and we'll be happy to comply.

someone should clone Manimal and make all the cops like him :thumb:
I completly agree, except he had a car and he called in backup. Two more f**king cars. What a f**king waste. Three cops for one kid on a bike who wasn't even doing anything, jesus. Failure to comply is a good idea, be polite and leave. I told the guy I would be happy to leave and never come back, even though I wasn't doing anything, but no, that wasn't enough for him. Rediculous. I'm going back today, meeting a friend who goes to college there. I'm gonna wear my sandals. If the guy hassles me, I'm just gonna ask how he expects me to throw down with my "grinding that defaces our property" :mad: with no pegs and sandals. :confused:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
chicodude01 said:
i was skateboarding up a UNR two weeks ago, and some of the campus police tried to cite us and give us a ticket. so i said to my two friends the only thing i could think of.

RUN!
(if he cant catch us, he cant give us a tickect)
WORD! Its impossible to catch a good MTBer on a frikkin college campus unless you got an ATV and a lasso or something.

"Oh yeah biatch... follow me down these stairs... now follow me up this big azz hill... now follow me down the other side at 30mph... HEY where'd ya go? I was havin fun!"

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
The Kadvang said:
Oh man if he tried to take my bike he woulda been in a load of trouble... The guy was a real a-hole, but he didnt try to get physical or anything, just the usual cop BS. I'm sick of it.

my friend was on a bmx bike, so his seat was really low and he's pretty tall. the guard stood infront of him and when my friend stood up, the guard pulled the bike out from under him.

it's funny because my friend is the nicest guy in the world. he just snapped on the guy and the guard got hurt. bad.

as for not giving cops your ID or telling them anything, if they want info from you, and you don't cooperate, they have grounds to pretty much do what they want, I believe. and if they are A-holes, they are going to anyway.....

quadricolour

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Cambria, CA
Yeah, great, discourage kids from physical activity. Maybe the kids did something to escalate the situation, as the arrest seems a little extreme - but the whole idea of skateboarding/bmxing/whatever being a hooligan activity seems so passe.