Quantcast

Don't Tase Me Bro, Cyclist says

cycleryshop

Chimp
Oct 23, 2007
Police Taser fleeing bicyclist after several warnings

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

(01-29) 12:02 PST Hamilton City, Calif. (AP) --

A Glenn County sheriff's deputy shot a man with a Taser gun for allegedly riding his bike at night without proper lighting.

According to a sheriff's spokesman, the bicyclist ignored warnings from the deputy he would use the stun gun, then fled on foot.

One probe struck the bicyclist — 39-year-old Omar Herrada Rivera — but he did not receive a shock.

After being checked out at a hospital, Rivera was held in the county jail on suspicion of resisting arrest, riding a bicycle without proper lighting, riding under the influence of alcohol and using false citizenship government documents.

The sheriff's spokesman said the deputy's decision to use the Taser was proper.

___

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
One of the biggest non-stories ever.

Except...

You know darn well if it was Manimal, he wouldn't have tased the guy. He would've given him a 30 second headstart, then chased him down :D

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
One of the biggest non-stories ever.

Except...

You know darn well if it was Manimal, he wouldn't have tased the guy. He would've given him a 30 second headstart, then chased him down :D
He was on a bike though, not a moped.

One probe struck the bicyclist — 39-year-old Omar Herrada Rivera — but he did not receive a shock.
Ummmm.......no kidding? Don't they work as a circuit? (1 probe is +, the other is -)

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Don't they work as a circuit? (1 probe is +, the other is -)
both probes have to be on the person or connected to something the subject is in contact with. if one probe hits him and the other completely misses he will not receive a jolt.

now...a drunk cyclist would be a great opportunity to practice the manimal trademarked bicycle pit maneuver. it's kind of like a tire tap to the front wheel. i haven't tried it on an unsuspecting victim yet but it's worked when we've been tooling around the parking lot. :D

Feb 26, 2007
seattle area
wait a second, you can get in trouble for riding while under the influence? i take my bike when i wanna hit bars, so i dont have to drive. what kinda crap is this?

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
total crap he could have been driving drunk, but no he was smart and decided to ride home and not risk anyones life. stupid cop, i bet the shock didnt work because the tyres insulated him from grounding the current

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
both probes have to be on the person or connected to something the subject is in contact with. if one probe hits him and the other completely misses he will not receive a jolt.

Exactly what I thought, the person basically completes the "circuit" of the tazer.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Ummmm.......no kidding? Don't they work as a circuit? (1 probe is +, the other is -)

2 probes 1 shock. . .
You know how a circuit works? Everything is connected in a loop with a power source? A current wont run through an open circuit. A tazer, as it sits, is an open circuit (read: the probes aren't attached). When they are shot into a person, the person connects the probes, thus "closing" the circuit, and the current passes through them.

I'm sure manimal the animal can confirm/deny this.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Serve and protect ya pricks. Serve and protect.
i had a defense attorney grill me in court trying to trip me up about charging his client by asking, "isn't your job to serve and protect" "in what way were you 'serving' my client?"

i proceeded to inform him that nowhere on my uniform, badge, vehicle or police department do we have the term "to serve and protect" that is a term coined from LAPD that most people assume is the motto of every PD. MY job is to uphold and enforce the law mr. attorney.

i won the case :D

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
You know how a circuit works? Everything is connected in a loop with a power source? A current wont run through an open circuit. A tazer, as it sits, is an open circuit (read: the probes aren't attached). When they are shot into a person, the person connects the probes, thus "closing" the circuit, and the current passes through them.

I'm sure manimal the animal can confirm/deny this.
Yes. In electrical terms the person becomes the "resistive load" in the circuit where the voltage from the power supply is dropped across.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Last month's IEEE Spectrum had an article on how they work.

It does create a circuit with the body, but it's pretty sophisticated electronics. It uses a shaped-pulse generator that does 100ms pulses at 1200V, 1.9mA, at 19Hz.

Evidently it's designed so that if the barb just lands in your clothing, it will ionize the air between the clothes and you, to complete the circuit.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
it's too much paperwork to worry about charging DWI/DUI on a drunk cyclist. the only person a drunk cyclist will likely hurt is him/herself and maybe become a hood ornament. i'm more likely to let the air out of the tires and make them walk to solve the problem.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I witnessed two drunk friends get a stern warning by an officer. One was pulling the other down the road in an old horse drawn plow. Cop jestingly said he'd arrest them but he didn't know who to charge as the driver.