Quantcast

don't you ruin this for me too, enduro

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Did anyone else watch the pinkbike video of Sam and Fabien?
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/chasing-gold-with-sam-hill.html

Two of my favourite riders ever, both incredibly talented multiple-time DH world champions, but I've never seen them together on film outside of racing. So I thought I was in for a real treat. It starts off with them in the freezing cold so I'm like sweet, some moist alpine trail slaying in 3...2...

Fail. Stupid enduro track, stupid enduro bikes, stupid slomo filming to make squids feel good about their million dollar enduro-vestment, and a whole lot of non-riding footage - which would have been fine if the riding parts were actually good. What a wasted opportunity.

Back to playing earthed on repeat.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Speaking of Clay Porter, I'll leave this old clip here so this thread isn't just a rant

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
sadly, i concur. couldn't watch the full segment. though i love racing enduro, i generally can't bear to watch allmountain-y / enduro edits. such is life. there is spectating, and there is doing.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Biggest bummer of the day:
Hill had a surgery on his damaged shoulder. He posted a pic of him with a brace on. Not sure, if he will be able to race at 100% this year again.:fie:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Jesus I thought enduro was all about epic trails yet the location and scenery is rather boring.

The trail itself looks generic as hell. Trails next to my house look the same and I get 50m of elevation at best. Ehh.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
That was a special kind of horrible. Lame trails, pseudo documentary pretensions and incredibly uninterested riding - seeing Sam Hill just coasting along feels like watching Bob Dylan in a Cadillac commercial.

livanh

Chimp
Jun 17, 2011
maybe its time to crowdfund a movie? i think even the earthed files on my HD are starting to wear out considering how often one has to watch it after every crappy documentary-epic-slowmo crap thats coming out.

craigyboy

Chimp
Aug 21, 2005
I saw the heading for this and got excited then saw the screenshot and a bike with single crown forks and thought to myself "nah not my type of thing". I steer clear of anything that doesn't involve dual crown forks. I miss the exciting days when Hill was at its best on the good old sunday, it's all about ski lifts and shuttles for me. The last good footage I watched was 3 minute gaps.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
My enduro bike has better, more aggro geometry than the iron horse in the video you linked Udi. My suspension is better and my bike weighs 10lbs les, and it's not.just a one trick pony.

I'll take than over sheer travel any day.

Now what... Should I also be angry at Enduro, or thankful? :)

Last edited:

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
To be fair, compare pretty much anything to Earthed and it's going to seem lame. I'm sure Mavic was 100% in control of that presentation. But keep on blaming enduro for everything if it helps you sleep at night.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
My enduro bike has better, more aggro geometry than the iron horse in the video you linked Udi. My suspension is better and my bike weighs 10lbs les, and it's not.just a one trick pony.

Now what... Should I also be angry at Enduro, or thankful? :)
If you can win a WC race on it then by all means have at it.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
agree with @supercow 100%...I bet Hill could have won a WC race on it if he had it bitd.

I just blame a shitty film concept and execution. Not a fan of dry, dusty, open trails like that either-but that's just personal preference based on where I live and what I'm used to riding.

Last edited:

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
If you can win a WC race on it then by all means have at it.
I can have the world's best DH bike from the future, absolutely perfect in every way shape and form, start halfway down the track and ... and still not win a world cup DH.

Where is your god now?

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Really?
I can remember there was some really weird music going on.
But wait...
Ben Reids and Brendogs section were top notch.

But really, good music is rare these days in edits or full videos.
I didn't much pay attention to the music I guess. Music appreciation is definitely an area that I admit is lacking my life. I'm a pretty boring run of the mill music enjoyer, I am not the guy with the extensive record, 8 track, cassette, CD, mini Disc, MP3, Ipod collection. I'm the guy who listens to the radio or plays pandora.

That said, I prefer race coverage, behind the scenes, training, and such way more so than a free ride video or rampage. So, yeah, 3 minute gaps was pretty interesting to me.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Music in bike videos is simple

Does it make you want to

1) go get on a bike and smash into shit..........

2) plug your ears and punch a 15 year old while saying "back in my day, your shitty music didn't exist for a reason"

3) call your brofriend and talk about your feelings

Given it's a 66% stacked deck but even so, there aren't 1/3 of videos that get it right

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005

The bike in that video is from 2005. Your bike is from 2015.
My point was mostly in regard to the riding though, not sure if you've vaguely glanced at how those two usually ride bikes but it wasn't featured in that video. I just think having that much sheer brilliance in one place at one time could have resulted in something incredible, and some enduro squid like you wasted the opportunity.

*not like you, just being a dick
*I have a spenduro bike too but let's stop filming this riding-in-a-desert rubbish

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Agreed, but my point is...let's not blame enduro as you can shred on most bikes these days...blame crappy filmatograsomethingers for making shit videos, and the companies paying them with the clear directive to make shit videos.

I couldn't agree more with that Teamrobot dude, who slants the vast majority of modern bro Shredits, with some Canadian dude flicking and wiggling his way down a track like an epileptic spastic