Quantcast

Dorado 29'er?

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I'm suprised I haven't seen anything here on this subject yet, so I thought I'd bring it up. I've seen the modified 40's and home made 29'ers in the past, but this is interesting to me because I want to know who is working on 29'er frames they refer to in this pinkbike press release.

I know there are advantages and disadvantages to each wheel size, but I don't know how anyone could really tell without a decent 29'er dh tire to test the idea.

Also, do you think these will be intended for a dh application, or more of an all-mountain 29'er type thing?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
BCD had a full on 29er DH bike. It was only 6" travel, but his rational was that a bigger wheel made up for the lose of travel. He was getting some decent kenda tires, but nobody makes a try DH tire yet.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
There's a thread on MTBR started by a guy who's doing testing on a Lenz DH 29er. 7" of travel front and rear, DH appropriate geometry. He's running a lowered 09 dorado out front, and I think some one-off 29er DH tires/wheels if I'm not mistaken. Supposedly people that have tried it have loved it.

If you go to the MTBR.com DH/FR forum the thread is titled "don't hate it because it's beautiful".

Raises some interesting questions about DHing with a 29er.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Hypothetically speaking...

29" wheels could makes sense for DH. They roll over terrain easier and DH riders are more likely to accept rotational weight gains in favor of higher speeds through rock gardens. Lots of hurdles would need to be overcome to make them a new standard though.

wanabe

Monkey
Mar 16, 2007
29 front 26 rear? If they make a wheel and fork combo that keeps the crown to ground height the same, you could just up grade your own bike. Most DH bikes should have the clearance. How awsome would my Shocker be?! <cough..cough see the classifieds