Quantcast

Dorado Help

yearoftiger

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Bay Area
Ok so my '03 dorado has a knocking noise inside the rebound adjuster leg/side when the fork gets compressed and is in action and i'm not sure what's wrong with it. The fork feels ok when i use it, but somethin tells me that the noise is not right. Also, the top rebound adjuster is loose and i can move it a couple of cm up and down. It seems to me these two problems are related. Somebody please help me...thanx

yearoftiger

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Bay Area
i tried screwing in the rebound adjuster but it just keeps turning and doesn;t screw in anymore. is the rebound adjuster supposed to stop turning after screwing it in?

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
yearoftiger said:
i tried screwing in the rebound adjuster but it just keeps turning and doesn;t screw in anymore. is the rebound adjuster supposed to stop turning after screwing it in?
Yes, it is supposed to stop.

It sounds to me like your rebound needle is not screwed into the cartridge properly.

Try pulling out the rebound adjuster (might need to put a screwdriver under it to prise it off) then put the correct sized allen key in (same size as the one on the rebound adjuster), then push down firmly while screwing in, hopefully it will bottom out and not turn anymore at some stage meaning the adjuster is would all the way in. Put the knob back on and away you go.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
downhilldemon said:
go buy a 888. Dorados suck! :)
The quality of the doroado internals is a step above what is in the 888. At least manitou anodise all internal parts.

And for the record, my old dorados felt way better then my current marzocchis.

yearoftiger

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Bay Area
yeah i tried following orven's tips by adding oil and stuff. I forgot to add that one time my friend unscrewed the rebound adjuster all the way and it felt strange after that. Could the needle have been messed up by doing this?

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
yearoftiger said:
yeah i tried following orven's tips by adding oil and stuff. I forgot to add that one time my friend unscrewed the rebound adjuster all the way and it felt strange after that. Could the needle have been messed up by doing this?
Don't think so, the needle is just a long peice of aluminum with a point down one end, a tread just above it followed by an o-ring.

The needle shouldn't have unwound that far. Actually, there is an aluminum bolt at the top, with a hole in the middle and a large allen key head, this is what holds the needle in and stops it from unwinding, it also holds the rebound rod onto the top of the fork. Have you got it on your fork?? Like in this pic

If it is missing that could explain why it is unwinding like it is and making noises like it is.