Quantcast

Dorado Popping noise

Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
I am about 120 pounds. Running my 2012 dorado with 50psi, black knob all the way off, and red knob 4 clicks. Dorado is super stiff and makes a pop noise when it rebounds. Any suggestions why this might be happening?

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Personally my favorite fork so far!

Fixed it, had to vent the Caps
I rode the dorado for 3 years and never had to vent the caps... what ever that means. A custom little mod I did to the guards on my fork. I put a piece of velco on the top part of the guard (on the inside) where it would hit the fork, this made it much quieter. Most likely the noise you are hearing. I know they have the top out bumper dialed so its not that..

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
"Venting the caps" means loosening the top caps till any built up pressure in the leg hisses out. This has to be done frequently on moto forks, most 888s, some other forks. Depends how tight your seals are.

RedOne

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Nuremberg, Germany
I installed some grub screws for venting to the top caps of my Dorado. Because on locations with long, hard runs like Leogang the fork was stiffening up over the day.

Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
Ya you guys nailed it. Called my friend jason who is a dorado guru, he walked me through what might be the problem!

Noise was the fork gaurds, just pulled them away.
Then vented the top right cap, air hissed out, screwed it back on and it worked fine! Its been a day at platty. weekend at creek and a weekend at duryea, so I am due for one

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Avalanche had screws in the top caps for these reasons, lots of times air would hiss out when i loosened them. A classic mod for old hanebrinks was just to drill a hole and leave it empty. It allowed the fail to leak out more easily.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Avalanche had screws in the top caps for these reasons, lots of times air would hiss out when i loosened them. A classic mod for old hanebrinks was just to drill a hole and leave it empty. It allowed the fail to leak out more easily.
You could just buy a Risse and never have that problem at all.
They don't trap any air. Or oil for that matter.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
I rode the dorado for 3 years and never had to vent the caps... what ever that means. A custom little mod I did to the guards on my fork. I put a piece of velco on the top part of the guard (on the inside) where it would hit the fork, this made it much quieter. Most likely the noise you are hearing. I know they have the top out bumper dialed so its not that..
that's a good idea. i have only noticed/heard the guards rubbing a couple of times but the velcro should eliminate that. this will be the very next little tweak i do for the bike. thanks. :thumb:

RedOne

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Nuremberg, Germany
DSCN2413 (Mittel).JPG
See pic: Left side, steel ring vs. plastic guard, brake line is pressing the guard against the ring. The ring is worn down quite a bit.
It is and was not really causing noise so far.