Quantcast

Dorado SC for dirt jumping ?

tne

Chimp
Feb 14, 2002
hi,
I'm considering switching my Dorado SC from my Uzzi to my DJ bike ..
I have an old Marzo Z5 on my DJ bike and I'd like to replace it with a 90-100mm, thru-axle forks (I was considering a Sherman or a Stance). and in the other side, my Dorado is too heavy and not soft and plush enought for my Uzzi SL, so I'm wondering if it could do the job on a DJ bike, if there's a way to limit the travel to 90 or 100mm.
What do you guys think about that ? I'm not an heavy rider (135lbs), and I ride my hardtail for DJ and also to ride on BMX tracks.

tne

Chimp
Feb 14, 2002
I didn't try yet, but I'm almost sure that without reducing the travel, the head angle would be far from what we can expect on a DJ bike ... Axe-to-crown is about 2" higher on the Dorado than on my old Marzo ! too much IMO .. the other reason why I'd like to reduce the travel is stiffness. As it is right know, the dorado is less flexy the the Z5 (good point), but definitively more flexy than a 100mm/thru-axle/not upside-down fork ..

Tully, you're right, that fork is too pretty to dirt jump ! but also too pretty to be sold !! :p
Although I know that the Dorado is too heavy for my Uzzi SL, I can't decide myself to let it go .. I have to find an other usage for it ! :rolleyes:

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
tne said:
Tully, you're right, that fork is too pretty to dirt jump ! but also too pretty to be sold !! :p
Although I know that the Dorado is too heavy for my Uzzi SL, I can't decide myself to let it go .. I have to find an other usage for it ! :rolleyes:
Well, maybe you could use it as an excuse to build another bike...

Sep 18, 2004
virginia.......
I would think it would be way to much travel.....but then again it would look sweet. Just make sure the rake is not overkill then you could snap the headtube or bend something :dead:

tne

Chimp
Feb 14, 2002
Tully said:
Well, maybe you could use it as an excuse to build another bike...
I'd like to do that, but I can't afford a 4th bike .. well, I mean it won't be reasonable ..
(mmm .. actually, to put that Dorado on a DJ bike is not reasonable anyway .. :p )

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
rennie ran one on his asrx for 2 years and bones (x rpm rider) ran one on his old school asx and it felt uber steep before he went to 24 inch rear

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
Well, if it can be lowered, I wouldn't hesitate to jump it, especially because inverted forks are supposed to be so stiff front-to-back.

tne

Chimp
Feb 14, 2002
Finally, no need to ask to Answer, to change the travel is pretty easy !
I'll not explain all the details (my english is not good enough to clearly explain that, I don't know the name for each small parts inside the fork..). Basicaly, I just cut a little bit more than 1" off the firm spring, and put a 'spacer' to reduce the travel (I put the small piece of spring, but I'll try to find a better spacer).

travel is now just under 4" (more or less 90mm), axle-to-crown lenght is 480mm. the fork is very stiff and firm (that's what I was looking for) .. and looks pretty cool on my DJ bike !