Quantcast

Dorkside....

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA

I like these 650b Wheels. They make sense to me. They go fast. I like the Quasi-motos too. I beat the piss out of the wheel and tire combo all week to make sure it was dialed in for the races this weekend.... Now if I could get enough tires to outfit my entire team. June won't be here soon enough!

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
It's a stock Large Darkside. I just shortened the travel in the fork to compensate for the slightly larger diameter wheels.

it sits at;
71.5/73.5 with a 12.2" bb at the moment.

martini

Chimp
Nov 30, 2004
'Sconni
Yup. Teh hottness right there. Nice looking rig Mickey. I'm curious about the fork too. Your impressions so far?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Yup. Teh hottness right there. Nice looking rig Mickey. I'm curious about the fork too. Your impressions so far?
I can't say it enough, and the other mechanics I've shown it to agree, The X-fusion is the nicest production fork we've ever played with. Quality of construction is obviously great (they make the forks(or many parts of the forks) that a whole lot of people are already riding. The airspring and damper design are super tunable and work extremely well. It took me about 12 minutes, a shock pump, a 10mm socket, 2 cone wrenches and a pin Spanner to get the exact amount of travel, mid-stroke support, progressivity and low-speed compression I wanted.

No stupid gimmicks like lockout or external compression adjustment. No silly external travel adjustment. No plastic anywhere on the fork. An intelligent stock damper oil weight (3wt). Even if they weren't the cheapest fork on the market (which they are), I'd still be buying them for my XC team, for two reasons;

1.I like buying things from the people who make them. Like Giant, Xfusion does all their manufacturing in their own facility. They have the capacity to prototype anything from dampers to lowers or crowns in a day, not months.... Unlike any of the major brands, who have at best, limited prototype and production facilities at their disposal.
2. The People. The x-fusion payroll is about 7 people worldwide. I've met and talked to quarter of them, and they like bike racing and hate surplus fluff and showroom candy about as much as I do.

If they ever manage to get their parent company to give them more resources to bring new products to production and hire more staff, it will be fair to say that some of the crappier suspenion vendors (yes, I'm talking about Marzocchi and Manitou) should be really darn scared...

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
You trim 'em! I'm always swapping back and forth between 2 or three different bar-stem combos. With my 28" Edge risers they are they right length, I swear!

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Not right now Mark. I have 6 mediums that will done the end of the week, but they all have homes. OX-platinum mediums will be done as soon as I actually find the time to get over to the bender and bend the stays....

chrismac

Chimp
Nov 3, 2006
am i seeing this correctly.. you are not running a small chainring up front..? what is the gearing?