Quantcast

double barrell or Roco?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i know there are several DB owners in here and i need a shock for my bottlerocket. the DB is a bit out of my price range but i need to know if the steep price tag is worth it compared to a Roco WC. i've heard good things about both but i know that the DB is far advanced from all of the other companies....but is it sooo much better that it's worth going in the hole to get?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
i know there are several DB owners in here and i need a shock for my bottlerocket. the DB is a bit out of my price range but i need to know if the steep price tag is worth it compared to a Roco WC. i've heard good things about both but i know that the DB is far advanced from all of the other companies....but is it sooo much better that it's worth going in the hole to get?
PM Sent.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
yeah, i know andy. but the DB is so much of a "race shock" and steven told me that it feels kind of "dead" at places like salem. i know it would help drastically for DH but i only race 3-5 times per year. i don't need a race shock the other 95% of the time i ride. if it wasn't $200 more than the roco i'd probably get it...but....you know how broke i am ;)

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
yes...i KNOW the DB feels great and is highly tuneable BUT...I could buy 2 of any other shock for the price of it, even w/ my team discount. i'm a sport level DH racer during the race season (and will probably always be in sport as long as USA Cycling is running the show) but i ride the local stunt/dj trails year round and i've got a family of 5 to support on my income alone including lil manimal who will be sucking up a lot of my bike stuff budget as he gets older...so price plays a HUGE part in my decision. if switching to the DB meant that i would miraculously stand on the podium at the races then maybe, but i think that my race times are more dependant on my skill level than a neato shock. the only way i could afford the DB right now would be to sell my new HT that i just bought....and i like my hardtail.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
yes...i KNOW the DB feels great and is highly tuneable BUT...I could buy 2 of any other shock for the price of it, even w/ my team discount. i'm a sport level DH racer during the race season (and will probably always be in sport as long as USA Cycling is running the show) but i ride the local stunt/dj trails year round and i've got a family of 5 to support on my income alone including lil manimal who will be sucking up a lot of my bike stuff budget as he gets older...so price plays a HUGE part in my decision. if switching to the DB meant that i would miraculously stand on the podium at the races then maybe, but i think that my race times are more dependant on my skill level than a neato shock. the only way i could afford the DB right now would be to sell my new HT that i just bought....and i like my hardtail.

You knew the answer was the Roco before you ever started this thread. You're just hoping for a support group to ease your disappointment in having to settle for less than the Ferrari.
But trust me, that WRX you're buying will make you damn happy!

ssinga

Chimp
Jan 23, 2006
Huntsville, AL
For that matter you could probably get by on a used Romic. Your income nor your family responsibilities is preventing you from affording a CCDB, you just chose to spend your available cash on cars and hardtails it seems. Your choice, but why ask if you weren't really considering it anyway?

:crazy:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Your income nor your family responsibilities is preventing you from affording a CCDB, you just chose to spend your available cash on cars and hardtails it seems. Your choice, but why ask if you weren't really considering it anyway?

:crazy:
butch...you better set this fool straight before i have too!

i'm assuming the WRX comment was referring to my rally car runs at wolf this weekend in my beater '94 Subaru Legacy :D :D(that cost me less than $2k.)
So no, i do not have a new car nor have i ever owned a new car and my "new" hardtail cost about $500 and it was bought to replace my P2 that was stolen. Yes, budget is a huge concern and the ONLY thing i spend money on outside of taking care of my family is bike stuff. ie: my car = paid for, wife's van = paid for, credit card = paid off.
my reasoning behind this thread was that i really want a DB and i was hoping someone could convince me that the DB is worth paying double the price of just about any other shock i could get, but i've received several PM's assuring me that a DB is very wonderful and a luxury to have but that it's not going to make enough of a difference for my type of riding to make the price tag worthwhile.

my questions were answered and i thank you all for helping me w/ this decision but your rash assumption that my income or family responsibilities play no actual role in my decision is ludicrous. bizutch has seen my financial profile and he can tell you that i don't make much money but i try and use what i have well. this thread gave me the opportunity to "think out loud" about it and i've decided that, given my financial situation (3 kids, a wife and a mortgage on a cops salary), it's just not a wise financial decision to pay twice as much for something that's simply a want and not a necessity. perhaps i should have phrased my original question better, something like: If you budgeted $50 a month for your personal spending money, would it be worth it to you to save all of it every month for 5 months so you could add it to the $300 you already have for a shock...just to buy a DB? -or would something like a ROCO do the job well enough that would make the extra sacrifice obsolete?

maybe that's what i should have asked because that's what i'm facing. :rolleyes:

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
But how about this: Do you need to spend that $300 on a roco, or is your romic good enough? How much difference will you be able to tell between the romic and the roco?

I have faced these decisions many times, and I just normally convince myself its a need, not a want. Sometimes its good, sometimes its bad.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
But how about this: Do you need to spend that $300 on a roco, or is your romic good enough? How much difference will you be able to tell between the romic and the roco?

I have faced these decisions many times, and I just normally convince myself its a need, not a want. Sometimes its good, sometimes its bad.

yes, the romic works well, however...it's not made for my bike. it was a spare that was sitting around the shop and the stroke is shorter than what the frame was designed for. if it fit...i'd keep it for sure as it feels pretty nice...but i would like to eek as much travel out of this frame as possible.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
I was making an analogy.
Romic is your WRX
Double Barrel is your Ferrari. :thumb:
yeah, i realized that after i posted it...but i still got my point across.

i tend to read analogies wrong when i'm mad. ;)
edit: not mad at you butch, mad at the
Your income nor your family responsibilities is preventing you from affording a CCDB, you just chose to spend your available cash on cars and hardtails it seems
comment.