Quantcast

Double vs Triple with regards to knees

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
There are low enough gears on a double that you wouldn't be hurting your knees if you used them. You just need to build your hamstring and quad muscles up to take a lot of stress off your knees and try to use easier gears with a higher cadence.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Pau11y said:
I'm not sure. But thinking of Pros, Ulrich should be crippled if it's doing too much damage...
And how many pro athletes leave their sport with damaged bodies? I'd say nearly all of those who are starters on their teams.

Besides, pros are a different breed of creature who receive the best coaching, training and all that.

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
LordOpie said:
Just how much damage does extended duration of lower cadence do to a persons knees? Any idea?

I don't even play a doctor on TV, but I would think it would depend on your bike fit, your personal anatomy, and how hard you were working at that lower cadence, i.e. how much torque you are putting on your knees. And it's my impression that this is the sort of thing where you feel it if you are hurting yourself.

You know how new or casual cyclists often grind along in too tough a gear on the theory they are getting a better workout? A few years ago my dad was experiencing knee pain and problems from working out at the gym. His doctor told him he was doing too many rep's of too high a weight, and if he wanted to do that many rep's lighten up on the weight.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Pau11y said:
I'm not sure. But thinking of Pros, Ulrich should be crippled if it's doing too much damage...
One day of injuries in the tour. Granted one or two might have been crashes...

Tom Boonen (QST) crashed on the descent from Courchevel at the start of stage 11. He has a swollen and bruised left knee.
Alejandro Valverde (IBA) has also injured his left knee.
Tobias Steinhauser (TMO) has abraisions on his right elbow and knee.
David Etxebarria (EUS) has contusions on his right elbow.
Bernhard Eisel (FDJ) has problems with both his knees.
Angelo Furlan (DOM) has problems with his right knee.
Magnus Backstedt (LIQ) has injured his left wrist and knee.
Juan Manuel Garate (SDV) has problems with his right knee.
Thor Hushovd (C.A) has severe muscle pain.
Jean-Patrick Nazon (A2R) abandoned the 11th stage because of breathing difficulties.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Pau11y said:

Ullrich had knee surgery, more than once. It's a major problem, probably even more so for us weekend warriors, than for pros. Pro's have training programs designed to help strengthen the knees, and still have problems.

I have osteoarthritis and I have a triple, I don't use the granny much, but I live near major mountains and it's nice to have the option. When I need it, I need it. Your needs may vary.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I wouldn't extrapolate racer injuries to regular human beings. Firstly, the crashes can be horrendous, but these guys ride right afterward they crash and for days after. Secondly, the wear and tear on the 700+ miles a week is not what normal people are doing.

One point I agree with is how new riders sometimes slog along in too big of a gear. A safe bet is a cadence of 80-100rpm for any climb. If you do not have the right gear, then possibly a triple is necessary.

But there are a lot of factors to knee problems. Saddle position and height, crank length, riding style all go into it. I would not give any recommendations without considering them all.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
damn, I knew I should've added "ceteris paribus"... in other words, perfect fit, etc. Forget everything else and give your opinions on your average serious recreational riders.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
See that ride profile? I would have preferred a triple there. The second climb floored me. I climbed it at an average pace of 5 mph at maybe 50 rpms. It friggin' hurt! When I redo the De Rosa for flat rides, I'm going to change the Strong to a climber w/ a triple, or was that vise versa? Ehy, anyway one of them will have a triple.