Quantcast

douglas and jackson getting skinny (with pics)

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Met up with douglas yesterday for a ride. Wasn't real sure what to expect - I've been off the bike for about 6 weeks, first snow/winter ride of the season, new tires, new trails, etc etc. Turned out to be an awesome ride! Didn't take many pics, but here's a few of us playing on a skinny. Was my first time trying a skinny... pretty cool stuff. After the ride we went to a local bar/diner type place for a couple of beers and some great food. It was well worth the trip.

douglas stylin':

me, trying to hold on

and a couple of others:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
in places, it was only enough to cover the ground... an inch, maybe 2. In other places, it was a bit deeper... maybe 4" or so. That's in albany. Back here (Binghamton), we got 6-8, more in some areas. I need to switch out the Nevegals for my velociraptors before I hit the deeper snow. The nevegals were ok, but not impressive in the snow.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I was going to go for a snow ride yesterday. When things were cold enough not to be a sloppy muddy mess it was a solid sheet of ice that was impossible to even walk on. Once it warmed up it was an icy mud bath. I went to the gym:(

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Westy said:
I was going to go for a snow ride yesterday. When things were cold enough not to be a sloppy muddy mess it was a solid sheet of ice that was impossible to even walk on. Once it warmed up it was an icy mud bath. I went to the gym:(
thats sucks

the trails we hit were great....99.8% mud & ice free!

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
TreeSaw said:
Nice...pine bush is fun. Sq-Earl will be jealous, the guys he works with bailed on a ride yesterday :(
This time of the year, the powerlines actually freeze up enough so you can ride them. Try the section of the powerlines starting next to I90 and head south. There's a couple of BIG hills in there.

The old trails at Sand Bush used to be a nice. Too many non-bikers involved there now. The loop just after the powerlines on the right when starting from the water tower, the one out by the cemetary, and by the elementary school were all decent. However, with what's left, you pretty much had to string together the water tower loops, the stuff out behind Washington square (closest to the mall), and what's on the other side of the thruway to get in a good ride.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
berkshire_rider said:
This time of the year, the powerlines actually freeze up enough so you can ride them. Try the section of the powerlines starting next to I90 and head south. There's a couple of BIG hills in there.

The old trails at Sand Bush used to be a nice. Too many non-bikers involved there now. The loop just after the powerlines on the right when starting from the water tower, the one out by the cemetary, and by the elementary school were all decent. However, with what's left, you pretty much had to string together the water tower loops, the stuff out behind Washington square (closest to the mall), and what's on the other side of the thruway to get in a good ride.
not if you ignore the little white circle markers :evil:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Nice, riding in the snow can be a blast if the conditions are just right, otherwise, it's a difficult, hilarious, chaotic mess. I NEVER have a bad time riding though.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Yep - stay off of these hiker created singletrack trails because you are eroding the preserve. However, don't worry about the 100+ acres we slashed and developed for the Crossgates mall and nearby office park. :p

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
TreeSaw said:
LOL! We were down that way in the Spring riding and managed to find ourselves "out-of-bounds" a few times...such a shame too because those trails were the most fun! ;)
true! you hit the one w/the view of the cemetery? (a friend & I made sections of that trail)

berkshire_rider said:
Yep - stay off of these hiker created singletrack trails because you are eroding the preserve. However, don't worry about the 100+ acres we slashed and developed for the Crossgates mall and nearby office park. :p

yup....plus the city dump is taking over 20 acres...I'm not suppose to ride on certain trails, but a dump is ok? wtf?