Quantcast

Dow 8900....

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Yeah... The retraction from Oct 07 high is showing bottom at 8661. If it cracks that mark, 7080 is the next stopping point.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Just touched 880 and the VIX broke 60. This is a market run on fear. Fundamentals are out.
Now is the time to ramp UP your 401k contributions. As prices fall, you get more for your money. If you put more in, you get more out in the long-term (10+yrs).
I upped my 401k by 1% adtl last week, and will after my review next week when I know how much I wil be getting next year. I will likely be adding another 5% my year end.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Just touched 880 and the VIX broke 60. This is a market run on fear. Fundamentals are out.
Now is the time to ramp UP your 401k contributions. As prices fall, you get more for your money. If you put more in, you get more out in the long-term (10+yrs).
I upped my 401k by 1% adtl last week, and will after my review next week when I know how much I wil be getting next year. I will likely be adding another 5% my year end.
buy low, sell high.

same thing i did in '87 and 9/11.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Im so glad I learned how to trade to the downside, though that doesnt mean all that much with some of this volatility.

Starting in January my company is starting its reimbursement with company stock, hopefully that will be just in time.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
**haha. I meant to say 8616. I messed up my typing.
That's where the bottom hit. before the blow through. IT is going to keep going down. Next target is 7082

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
our company's stock plan is based upon the lower of 1st & 3rd qtr closing price. our 1st quarter starts nov 1.

401k's already maxed out

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I've only been contributing 1/3 of the 401k max for most of the year, so I've got some headroom to ramp it up. Also lining up as much cash as I can to finally open an E-trade account. For anyone still alive, it's going to be like Costco up in this bitch.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I've only been contributing 1/3 of the 401k max for most of the year, so I've got some headroom to ramp it up. Also lining up as much cash as I can to finally open an E-trade account. For anyone still alive, it's going to be like Costco up in this bitch.
We're actually starting to horde lasting goods. I'm trying to get 3-4 months worth of canned/dry foods set aside. I don't have a lot of storage space, but I have a feeling that things are going to get a LOT more expensive and that if the house of cards falls, living in the City could get interesting.

I have seen multiple reports from ultra-high networth advisors suggesting that their clients buy large properties away from the cities that are totally self-supporting and off the grid in all aspects. They are referring to "other supplies" which I am led to believe are recommendations of purchasing guns for defense. If the market does truly collapse (doom-gloom/depression hypothesis), people do not have enough savings or supplies to last until things settle.

It is doom/gloom, but I am starting to see it from more high level sources which is not comforting...

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
the *real* scary thing is that should everything collapse, how many people have physical cash or commodities on hand? if the system collapses to that point, you won't be able to run to an ATM, anything held digitally will disappear, and that GLD or SLV ETF won't be worth squat.

<------ runs off to buy 3-4 months worth of tequila, because if it's all going down I want to be drunk as hell for it.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It is doom/gloom, but I am starting to see it from more high level sources which is not comforting...
You sound like Grants Pass, OR in 1999. The self proclaimed "Most Y2K prepared city in the US".

I understand what you are saying, but I don't think we are close to an Escape from NY scenario just yet.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
You sound like Grants Pass, OR in 1999. The self proclaimed "Most Y2K prepared city in the US".

I understand what you are saying, but I don't think we are close to an Escape from NY scenario just yet.
And I agree, but from my seat it's a lot uglier than is being let on...:twitch:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I have seen multiple reports from ultra-high networth advisors suggesting that their clients buy large properties away from the cities that are totally self-supporting and off the grid in all aspects. They are referring to "other supplies" which I am led to believe are recommendations of purchasing guns for defense. If the market does truly collapse (doom-gloom/depression hypothesis), people do not have enough savings or supplies to last until things settle.
Oh please, it's not going to collapse into Mad Max post-apocalyptic anarchy and even if it did, I don't own **** that anyone wants to steal. As far as I'm concerned, people will continue to need things, folks will continue to make things, and while the slowdown may suck a bit, this is bargain central and I'm going all in.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Oh please, it's not going to collapse into Mad Max post-apocalyptic anarchy and even if it did, I don't own **** that anyone wants to steal. As far as I'm concerned, people will continue to need things, folks will continue to make things, and while the slowdown may suck a bit, this is bargain central and I'm going all in.
I'll buy a gun and when you win, I'll take it from you :D

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
And I agree, but from my seat it's a lot uglier than is being let on...:twitch:
It's super ugly for anyone heavily leveraged, which is a lot of people, but enough folks will be able to ride this out (hopefully I'm one of them), that it will rebound pretty healthily and hopefully much more conservatively next time 'round.

edit: oh yeah, and eBay is going to be ****ing awesome pretty soon. Desperate people sell things CHEAP!

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
edit: oh yeah, and eBay is going to be ****ing awesome pretty soon. Desperate people sell things CHEAP!
Check Craig's List lately?

<edit> also see my house thread in the lounge. If we don't get it, we are staying put. But I would rather buy something soon in the event we all get "forgiven" and my house is free :D

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
and in the car just now i was hearing some caller rave on the dennis miller show about the jews are putting their boots to our collective neck.

talk radio is going to get very interesting again; to the point where michael savage will be aptly named "white noise"

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
off 500 more in the first 5 minutes.

ok, joke's over. i'm calling my jewish friends to have them do something about this

edit: 30 seconds later: 700

is anyone going to buy anything? buncha skirts

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
so what's your bet on the final down number today? I'm predicting quadruple digits... With Monday being a holiday I can't imagine that people are going to want to be long unless they're looking at the looong term (ie, me).

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I am not at my terminal, so I don't have my normal tools and technicals.
Off the cuff? Down 500. If we cross 8k there will likely be a sharp drop, rebound, then drop.