Quantcast

Dow 8900....

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack

maybe, but looks more down than up after the opening bell. i'll be happy with some level trading for awhile, a couple of deep breaths while people analyze what everything's worth, and go from there. the panicked selling, and then panicked buying aren't doing anybody but daytraders any good.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
something something dead cat bounce something something.
Given the low volume on yesterday, it was not a bottom.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Just don't go on a monkey killing spree and stuff.

<edit> Don't these "smart people" know that most insurance policies don't pay out on suicides? WTF?

Carlene Balderrama shot herself to death, leaving an insurance policy and a suicide note on a table.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
This is a band-aid. A Large band-aid, but still a bandaid.
I could see a drop at some point to ~7000, but 6k is looking less likely.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Will this at least unfreeze the credit markets and get everyone looking back to actual valuations and balance sheets? They're bad enough without people running around claiming the sky is falling and that Libor rates are going to hit 20%.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I won't give advice without knowing your full situation, but at this point, hedging is never a bad idea. You can hedge using S&P Short indices, but know that if the market goes up, their value goes down.
Your best bet at this point is to slowly use dry powder and buy on the way down. There are no gurantees that you will catch the bottom, or that you won't be catching a falling knife, but you will be bringing your average cost down as you buy.
As I mentioned earlier, I am increasing my 401k contributions specifically to catch this downward trend. I am not retiring for 30 years, so I am building up my share count at hopefully lower and lower prices.