Quantcast

Down by the river...

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Just bought a beater van on ebay to convert to a weekender gas saving 4 big hit bike hauler to get up north this summer. Who can help with info on a 4 bike rack on top. Am I better off building one? I would prefer not to have to remove wheels.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Damn, paint it red and you'd have Ironhide from the Transformers!

When I was stationed on Okinawa, my friend had one of those vans, it was a stick. The battery kept dying so we always had to ghetto clutch start it. He got it for free from some dude.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Yeah a friend of mine had one of those in HS. We lived in Hermosa beach and the thing couldn't get up half the hills (very small hills). It was classic.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
ncrider said:
Yeah a friend of mine had one of those in HS. We lived in Hermosa beach and the thing couldn't get up half the hills (very small hills). It was classic.
Oh jeez, I figured it was weak, but I gotta get up mountains. Here begins another money pit... I am now open to a RM mobile sponsorship.

PBV

Chimp
Apr 18, 2005
Boston
Nice. Now your only choice is to add HP. Drop a turbo in it, dump it a couple inches, throw some chrome rims on. Hells yes. You could be one icey hot stunna'

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I seem to remember those having a problem with spontaneously combusting.

I could be wrong.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
stevew said:
I seem to remember those having a problem with spontaneously combusting.

I could be wrong.
I have a 1985 Toyota van for sale. Cheap.
;)

No, I know nothing is easy, and planned to put some time and a little money in this beast, and at worst be sitting with a disposable bike hauler.

Nobody runs 4 bikes on top?

Denny

Chimp
Aug 27, 2002
Seattle, WA
I had a friend with one of those, said it took him 4 hours to change the alternator, because the engine is in a pretty stupid place (under the floorboards).

I'm a fan of rear-mount racks. You could weld up a big platform that plugs into a receiver hitch, then tie the bikes down like motorcycles, sideways... less aero drag, less lifting 50lb bikes 8 feet in the air. Somebody might even make one of these racks, but I haven't shopped around.

PBV

Chimp
Apr 18, 2005
Boston
Denny said:
I had a friend with one of those, said it took him 4 hours to change the alternator, because the engine is in a pretty stupid place (under the floorboards).

I'm a fan of rear-mount racks. You could weld up a big platform that plugs into a receiver hitch, then tie the bikes down like motorcycles, sideways... less aero drag, less lifting 50lb bikes 8 feet in the air. Somebody might even make one of these racks, but I haven't shopped around.
I'd be leary of adding too much weight (platform on rear) to a car with such little HP to begin with. I think something light weight would be a necesity, no?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
It's a 1985. I haven't seen it yet, but I just spoke with the dude, and the auction didn't seem to mention that there was no battery (but it runs well, just needs a tune up...) When I show up this weekend with a battery and the thing doesn't start, dude's burnt.