Quantcast

Downhill at Mt. Baldy, CA?

roberts

Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
I noticed Baldy sells lift tickets for bikes. Anyone ever DHed there? I have not heard anything about DH there since my friend raced 10 or so years ago.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I remember hiking mount baldy back in '96 on vetrans day. The resort's website said that they had lifts open to bikers and hikers on weekends and holidays weather permitting, well that day the weather was definately permitting and last I checked vetrans day is a holiday, but the place was like a ghost town. We had to hike up something like 500' in less than a quarter mile.

I've never talked to anyone that's ever ridden a bike or skiied mount baldy though. It seems like it could be a fun place to ride, if you like drifty steep stuff.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
I think portions of the movie Reunion was shot there...I remember Sic Vic being ragdolled on one shaly steep section. Looks terribly boring in that vid.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
I rode Baldy last year with a friend. The only place to ride down is on the fire road. Everything else is too sheer. The fall the guy took in Re:Union was pretty knarly. Pretty much too steep and rocky to ride. If you don't mind blasting down a fire road it is fun. From what I could gather the DH racing was held on the upper portion of the hill. Maybe we can convice them to open that lift during the summer.

roberts

Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
Did you ride the lift up?
Would they let you ride other parts?

I used to snowboard there and know some excellent terrain to map a couple courses.

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
i rode there a few times way back when.....when i used to ride! haha

a few friends i know really dig that place...but i wasn't really into it all that much...at least the parts we rode. the people who ran the place really didn't care where you rode...the lift operators would actually tell you to ride the gnarly sections (i think because they wanted to see you rag-doll down the hill! haha) the lift was only a two-man chair...kinda scary actually! lol. don't know if they've changed much. anyhow, the trails were either fireroad-ish or really...REALLY loose shale. if you crashed, you flowed down 50 feet...& sank down to your shins.

anyhow..they may have made some real tracks there..donno..but i'd trek elsewhere to ride personally.

-D-

BSEVEER

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
SoCal
You can go pretty damn fast on that fire road if I remember correctly, probably over 40 pretty easily.