Quantcast

Downhill-enduro hybrid-ish

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
Yep.

Get yourself an enduro SC fork at 160-170mm and a 8.5x2.5 shock (For 150mm travel) for basic enduro days. Follow up with a dual crown and 8.75x2.75 (175mm) for park days and be done with it. Nicolai says their geometron G16 and G1 are fully rated to handle a dual crown.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Yep.

Get yourself an enduro SC fork at 160-170mm and a 8.5x2.5 shock (For 150mm travel) for basic enduro days. Follow up with a dual crown and 8.75x2.75 (175mm) for park days and be done with it. Nicolai says their geometron G16 and G1 are fully rated to handle a dual crown.
Does it use a different link for the two shocks?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Thanks @Lelandjt
I am a medium guy and on the wrong side of the pond for buying your frame...

@buckoW
I see that you are running air shocks on the pictures above. Have you tried the Ransom with coil? If yes, what's your opinion about it? Is it progressive enough?
I have tried an RC4, RS Super Deluxe and an Ohlins on the Ransom and I like the Ohlins the most with the RC4 in 2nd. With the RC4 I have only 150 of travel. With the Ohlins I can get it firm for DH and also supple enough for loose Italian gravely trails. It’s plenty progressive for what I do. I wouldn’t want more progression for a bike I need to pedal. The Ext, Super Deluxe and Marzocchi CR also fit.
B058CE12-6693-4606-BD71-149480EB285C.jpeg

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I like the Ohlins the most with the RC4 in 2nd.
You gonna get some enemies here for not putting the RC4 first! :brows:

Thanks for your feedback, I am trying to get a Ransom frame equipped with an EXT I saw on Pinkbike. We will see how it fares...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You gonna get some enemies here for not putting the RC4 first! :brows:

Thanks for your feedback, I am trying to get a Ransom frame equipped with an EXT I saw on Pinkbike. We will see how it fares...
No experience with it, but I thought the consensus was that Ohlins actually built their twin-tube shock similar to the mx stuff and not just basic poppet valves, unlike Fox, so that the Ohlins wouldn't suffer from the terrible digressive damping issues.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
No experience with it, but I thought the consensus was that Ohlins actually built their twin-tube shock similar to the mx stuff and not just basic poppet valves, unlike Fox, so that the Ohlins wouldn't suffer from the terrible digressive damping issues.
Yes,
Fox is just now figuring it out
The new x2 is looking more like the ohlins dirt stuff

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
It doesn't seem like I will be able to buy the Ransom frame. I was pumped about the EXT shock so it's a bit sad.

Anyhow, I am back to the drawing board! I have already a nice Fast Suspension Holy Trail in 230x65 that could fit a Clash or a Capra 29er. But I like the adjustability of the Ransom and wonder if the alloy version is also rated for DC fork. Do you know @buckoW ? It seems quite light for an alloy frame at around 3,4kg for a large.

@djjohnr did you weight your Clash? 3,7kg (8.2lbs) for just the frame with maybe the rear axle is what Commençal says.

The Capra 29 is around 2.9kg for a naked frame

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
It doesn't seem like I will be able to buy the Ransom frame. I was pumped about the EXT shock so it's a bit sad.

Anyhow, I am back to the drawing board! I have already a nice Fast Suspension Holy Trail in 230x65 that could fit a Clash or a Capra 29er. But I like the adjustability of the Ransom and wonder if the alloy version is also rated for DC fork. Do you know @buckoW ? It seems quite light for an alloy frame at around 3,4kg for a large.

@djjohnr did you weight your Clash? 3,7kg (8.2lbs) for just the frame with maybe the rear axle is what Commençal says.

The Capra 29 is around 2.9kg for a naked frame
Never weighed it. It’s not light.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You ask about stuff on here and it just magically appears infront of you?

*I'm off to start a thread about blowjobs from hot girls*

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Well, I was interested in this frame as stated somewhere above then thought that the seller found a better opportunity... that's when I asked for more options. But suddenly the seller talked to me again and all went as planed from the beginning.

I hope you also get a happy ending with your girls :brows: :pleasantry: @Gary

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Anyone got opinions on the previous generation Pivot Firebird? I'm hoping for fact based information, but rants, tirades and diatribes are welcome too. Not looking at a new model, but potentially a second hand frame.

Pivot Firebird.jpg

Are they Yeti-esque in their reputation to crack? Anything else to consider aside from the price?

Rationale for said frame is that they can take both 29 and 27.5 wheels in superboost size (well, 27.5 plus wheels, but I wouldn't do that), and the previous model is dual crown approved. So in theory, I could use it with a bunch of my DH parts, and then on my once per decade trip to Whistler, swap said parts back.

The other thing to consider is if/how to drop travel on a Boxxer, but that's for another thread...

Cheers gang!

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
The other thing to consider is if/how to drop travel on a Boxxer, but that's for another thread...
I have no experience with Pivot but I know that the boxxer can be lowered to 190 or 180mm with readily available shafts. A2C of a 180mm boxxer is roughly the same as for a 170mm single crown fork

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Are you doing the jonkranked here? If this would be common, don't you think the forums would be full of reports with all the Liteville haters? And from all the brands mentioned so far, the only one where I never have seen a snapped frame is GG. But maybe because I have never seen one in real life?
the hell's going on here?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I have no experience with Pivot but I know that the boxxer can be lowered to 190 or 180mm with readily available shafts. A2C of a 180mm boxxer is roughly the same as for a 170mm single crown fork
My Ransom currently has a 200mm 40 on it but I have a 27.5 rear wheel though. Are you running full 29?

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
My Ransom currently has a 200mm 40 on it but I have a 27.5 rear wheel though. Are you running full 29?
I run mine as a mullet for the moment, rear triangle in high position, no angleset and the boxxer at 180mm with the a2c around 1cm longer.

I tried the low shock position briefly but it felt way too low for me... maybe having the fork at 200mm would compensate? I should try.

I have way too little ride time on the Ransom to call it done. It's sad but I only manage to ride it once at a bikepark this year! :panic:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I run mine as a mullet for the moment, rear triangle in high position, no angleset and the boxxer at 180mm with the a2c around 1cm longer.

I tried the low shock position briefly but it felt way too low for me... maybe having the fork at 200mm would compensate? I should try.

I have way too little ride time on the Ransom to call it done. It's sad but I only manage to ride it once at a bikepark this year! :panic:
It is a bit too low in low position unless riding steep loamers. I agree! Also, the seat angle gets less nice with the fork at 200.

If this continues them I am going to need that shock of yours to try on my bike. That thing must feel wonderful on that bike! I’ve only tried it on the Gambler. Let’s sell it to me if you move on.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Hi, is this the shaft?

My plan would be to throw it in a 27.5 Boxxer Team. Is there anything else you need?

Cheers @Happymtb.fr ! or anyone else :)

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
If your fork is made between 2010 and 2015 that shoud be it.
Depending on your skills, you could also chop 20mm off your actual shaft.
Thanks!
Also, I feel adding 20mm to my actual shaft would be the skillful thing to do here, but there's a first time for everything I guess.