Quantcast

Downhill fitness - slightly different to usual

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
I've recently been trying to increase my fitness for DH riding, not just to make me faster, but to make it more fun as well. After as little as 2 runs on a rough/rocky track I end up with fatigue so bad I find it hard to hold onto the bars. It doesn't happen on short and smooth tracks, but even sub 2 minute tracks with lots of rocks leave me hurting pretty bad. Short shuttle turn arounds seem to make it worse, but even on long ones, my arms will recover on the way up, then start to feel bad about 30 seconds into the run. My forearms start to feel like lead and I have almost no grip strength.

I'm not sure if my bike set up has anything to do with it. Changing my brakes to Formula The One's has helped a fair bit, now I have to grab a lot less hard to slow down, but it has far from solved the problem. I've heard thing grips are better, but I already run ruffians. I've had rouges and ourys before and it wasn't much different. I do run my forks fairly stiff (5 clicks of LSC, half a turn of gate, no speedstack - Boxxer teams, soft spring - 80kg rider), but if I run them much softer they don't feel nearly as stable or grippy in hard corners.

I've been paying a lot of attention to staying loose and not gripping too hard when I ride, but I think I'm already pretty good in that respect. None of my riding mates seem to get this nearly as bad as me, even the ones that I would say are skinnier and have less general strength than me. I think I'm pretty fit in general. I ride a lot of XC, and play a lot of football (you guys probably call it soccer), but my upper body is probably lacking a fair bit.

Anyone got tips on how I can improve this? I guess going out and doing loads and loads of runs on a big hill would probably sort it, but we don't exactly have the facilities do that kind of thing in Australia! :) I've tried push-ups but they seem to work your forearms much, but I still noticed a small improvements.

Suggestions?

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
after i severly broke my ringfinger on my right hand (it stayed stiff and i had to readjust my grip on the bar) i had similar problems and started using these Motogrip Trainers:

i have one in my car and squeeze it 20x left hand, 20x right hand etc, etc... whenever i'm driving my car... it seems to have helped, i developed more strength in my forearms. these trainers are rather cheap (ca. 9,-€ on CRC) and i've seen them at the local MX-store, too. maybe worth a try....

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
If grip/forearm strength is your only issue, then there are a couple of exercises that might help. Something like the above mentioned grip ring/ball/machine would surely help. You can also do forearm curls to improve forearm strength. Grab a fairly light weight (5, 7.5, 10, or 12lb.), put your arm on a bench with your palm facing up, let your hand with weight hang over the edge of the bench, and just do sets of curls. You can do them with individual hands or with a flat bar with both hands simultaneously. Try doing sets with your hands/palms facing down as well. This should improve your forearm strength quite a bit if you do them correctly and with enough frequency.

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
If it is armpump increasing your cardiovascular fitness is the best thing to do. I am guessing this is not a big problem for you since you're a soccer player. Having strong arms/shoulders/back will help so your not relying on your forearms muscles to do most of the work.

Forearm workouts: http://www.shapefit.com/forearm-workouts-advanced-6.html

You could get like what worship_mud said or similar products are a gyroball or hand grips

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
A monthly subscription to playboy will improve your forearm strength tremendously. Make sure to switch hands for please and strength reasons.

caseyo

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
Reno
Tie a rope to a dowel or piece of broomstick or something like that, and tie the other end to a 5-10 lb weight so it's just off the ground when you hole the stick in a bicep curl position. now roll up the string and the weight. Repeat with your hands on top of the stick as well. This will kill your forearms fo sho.

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
Tie a rope to a dowel or piece of broomstick or something like that, and tie the other end to a 5-10 lb weight so it's just off the ground when you hole the stick in a bicep curl position. now roll up the string and the weight. Repeat with your hands on top of the stick as well. This will kill your forearms fo sho.

Doing these with your arms straight out will get your shoulders and forearms jacked. Roll the rope on the stick then reverse it and let it back down with your hands letting it down, not the rod just spinning in your hands letting the weight drop. Do them with your palms up and down and make sure your arms are straight out so the shoulders are getting involved.

Spahman

Monkey
Dec 13, 2006
Arlington
I've got the same problem... esp on trails with lots of braking. My hands just can't keep up

so I lowered the braking point of my levers and plan on getting one of those hand things.
should help?

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
trail building with a pick will increase your grip strength and forearm stamina very quickly. Also, I have found rock climbing or bouldering really targets those muscles better than anything as you're having fun while you do it, instead of squeezing something repetitively.

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
trail building with a pick will increase your grip strength and forearm stamina very quickly. Also, I have found rock climbing or bouldering really targets those muscles better than anything as you're having fun while you do it, instead of squeezing something repetitively.
I should have mentioned that one, I try and go bouldering every couple weeks. It helps more than anything.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
don't know if this has been said or not, but what you should be doing after every run, specially if it hurts so much, is strech your arms! itll make the pain go away, and recovery is much quicker. Plus is helps the muscle to develope properly.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
I would suggest that you try to back of the lsc, how many clicks do you get at maximum? On my own team 5 clicks would be almost be locked out. Also experiment with your brakelevers position and adjust them so they lock your wheel like 1/2 to 1 inches from your bar.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Seriously just go to a gym. I've had all the recomended forearm stuff but they weren't even close to being as helpfull as a good winter training. Now I can do as much back to back runs on 4-5min tracks and not feel my arms at all (in a good sense) and I'm a whimp (180cm and 65kg weight). Though not being able to train legs I have trouble with them to be true. Go to the gym. It will help you much more than just training one muscle group. It will make it easier to learn and make you faster. I've personally made biggest progres the year I was the fitest.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
I should have mentioned that one, I try and go bouldering every couple weeks. It helps more than anything.
Defo have to agree with that!! i do it twice a week, and its a joke how much it helps, but takes time to build up so don't expect to quick results.

Oh and the 5 finger shuffle will help release the strain after!! GO FOR IT :thumb:

mccdh

Monkey
Sep 9, 2008
Comox
Doing these with your arms straight out will get your shoulders and forearms jacked. Roll the rope on the stick then reverse it and let it back down with your hands letting it down, not the rod just spinning in your hands letting the weight drop. Do them with your palms up and down and make sure your arms are straight out so the shoulders are getting involved.
QFT! seems like a simple exercise but after one or two you start feeling it.

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
I had very similar problems to yours when I first started riding lift access. Problem instantly went away when I got the appropriate suspension setup on my bike (had x-firm fork and 750 coil.... I weigh 150 wet). It also helped me to conscientiously make an effort to relax my hands and stretch my fingers when the trail allowed.

Obviously good fitness can't hurt, but in my case the equipment made all the difference.

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
don't know if this has been said or not, but what you should be doing after every run, specially if it hurts so much, is strech your arms! itll make the pain go away, and recovery is much quicker. Plus is helps the muscle to develope properly.
I think you nailed it. Sounds like strength is good, but nerves are taking a pounding.

Try stretching both wrists by putting your hands palm to palm, with wrists bent 90 degrees, then press them together (kinda like your standing on your hands) stretching the wrists for a few seconds at a time. This also works on a wall in front of you, with your hands pressed to the wall like a push up.

Try this stretch several times a day and on your shuttle runs back up. After a couple weeks you will feel looser with your grip and have a lot better blood flow. As, mentioned by karpi, your muscle tearing will thank you for it as well. I had carpal tunnel so bad a few years ago I was thinking about getting the surgery. I healed myself from it by doing these stretches for 6 months and as a result, my arm pump control is now much better.