Quantcast

Downhill/Freeride Jumps around NYC?

Almtb

Chimp
Jan 6, 2021
Does anyone know if there are any downhill or freeride jumps around NYC? (5 boroughs, long island, Upstate, NJ, etc) I got a pretty decent-sized group of DH riders that ride in bike parks during the season but once the season ends we struggle to find an actual decent jump spot. We've been to Highbridge and Cunningham park but honestly, the jumps are not big enough for us

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
i live smack in the middle of LA, so that 'urban sprawl is stopping us' BS doesn't work with me. we are always finding new spots to build jumps, only laziness is stopping you or anyone else from getting out there and making things happen...
Yeah, go build some jumps in the middle of Central Park

Almtb

Chimp
Jan 6, 2021
get off your asses, find a nice spot and bust out some shovels then. lazy poachers always thinking the jumps just build themselves...
Ok, idk why you just had to bash me for being a "lazy ass". We already built in 3 spots, 2 of which have been destroyed by park rangers. It's almost impossible to build here in NYC because of the lack of forests and it being illegal. The spot we have now is pretty decent consisting of some tables and a huge almost 30 ft gap jump. I just simply asked if anyone knows any spots because we've been running low on luck and motivation after all of our spots keep getting shut down.

We already built in 3 spots, 2 of which have been destroyed .....we've been running low on luck and motivation after all of our spots keep getting shut down.
unfortunately, that's the life of being a trail boss. we build jumps anywhere we can find a spot. we easily lose (edited: lose, not loose) 3 spots a year, we just sprout up elsewhere. in my 35 years of building jumps, i've lost uncountable places for all sorts of reasons. some spots are sustainable and we blow them up, other places we cut our losses and move on. if you think you need the woods, you're sadly limiting yourself...

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i live smack in the middle of LA, so that 'urban sprawl is stopping us' BS doesn't work with me. we are always finding new spots to build jumps, only laziness is stopping you or anyone else from getting out there and making things happen...
i used to live in LA, i worked 3 blocks from LAX. urban sprawl works a little differently on an island. especially when that island contains the most populated city in the US, and also one of the oldest.

i used to live in LA, i worked 3 blocks from LAX. urban sprawl works a little differently on an island. especially when that island contains the most populated city in the US, and also one of the oldest.
maybe you missed the part where he is also looking upstate and over in new jersey. if you wanna be a whiny cunt and constantly make excuses, go right ahead. but let's not start acting like jumps don't exist around there or there aren't endless possibilities....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
maybe you missed the part where he is also looking upstate and over in new jersey. if you wanna be a whiny cunt and constantly make excuses, go right ahead. but let's not start acting like jumps don't exist around there or there aren't endless possibilities....
have you ever been to the part of the country in question? I lived in NJ for 5 years. i think you grossly underestimate how developed the region is, and what sections of undeveloped land are either farmland, county state or federal parks, or private property marked "no trespassing" owned by people that will 100% open fire at you. it's absolutely not "endless possibilities". its by no means impossible (case in point, i live an hour from catty), but its nowhere near as easy as you seem to think it is.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Space is at a premium, and the spots that exist don't need a "pretty decent-sized group of DH riders that ride in bike parks during the season" blowing them up and disappearing once those bikes parks open up again.

You've got 2 pumptracks, 5 jump lines and 20+ miles of trails that are free, open-to-the-public, volunteer coordinated, built and maintained, all within city limits.

Yes, DH bikes are overkill but DJ bikes are cheap. If not, check the first post and start exploring on your own. Either way, you're in for some pedalin'.

yes. i have inlaws that live upstate by Layfayette just south of Syracuse. i've built several jump spots out there over the years. some have gone, others still exist. it seems like you're looking for the area marked with signs that says to 'build dirt jumps here'. i figured that you of all people would know that almost all jump spots are illegal and built where they shouldn't be...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yes. i have inlaws that live upstate by Layfayette just south of Syracuse. i've built several jump spots out there over the years. some have gone, others still exist. it seems like you're looking for the area marked with signs that says to 'build dirt jumps here'. i figured that you of all people would know that almost all jump spots are illegal and built where they shouldn't be...
syracuse is 4+ hours from NYC, and is a drastically different region than NYC metro. up there there's absolutely more options.

and yes we know they're illegal (i almost got arrested for building before) but in the region they're looking, spots to build are harder to find, are fewer and farther between, if they last more than a season the builders are gonna keep that shit as secret as possible. not to mention the time of year they're looking to ride isn't really suitable for the size of jumps they're after, and any dirt based jumps for that matter. it's called mud season because of the freeze/thaw we get. great time to dig, terrible time to ride. for reference, Catty closes and carpets their trails mid-november, and they usually don't start riding again until may.

Last edited:
i feel you. this was never meant to be a pissing contest, just me laughing at those who say the stuff around isn't big enough for them, but don't build the stuff they are looking for. we've been told thousands of times how lucky we are to have dope spots. we always laugh about how 'lucky' we are while we have to sling dirt every few days for hours on end to keep stuff rideable and growing...

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Get some ramps and start hucking?
As kids we had a wooden kicker we would take into the park at night so we could do sends onto a grassy hill, and then pack up and leave. I wonder if the gardeners wondered why there were so many divots and skids marks halfway down a giant grass hilll.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeah unless you organize and spend the time and effort to get a legit spot built, unfortunately you just need to get used to the idea that whatever you build will probably get torn down.

Think of it like a temporary art installation - you can be the Andy Goldsworthy of dirt jumps!

As for asking random people to disclose their spots on the internet, good luck with that.