Quantcast

Downhill HELP for a rookie

soccerpeve

Chimp
Aug 8, 2011
I'm headed to winter park in 2 weeks to have some fun...I don't really know what I'm in for being from KANSAS....

I have a 2008 Stumpjumper FSR comp with upgraded brakes/rotors..Fox Float 120 RL fork

Questions:

1) Can this bike handle downhill? I'm not planning on doing the easiest trails, nor the hardest trails...trying for something moderate. (honestly I don't know much, but my friend has gone before)

2) If the bike can handle it, is it worth hauling it all that way? (saris rack - bolts/locks in hitch - cable locks the bike) It's about $90 to rent a Kona DH bike and full armor/helmet...I don't have armor so if I brought my bike it would be about $40 or so. The up side of bringing my bike is that I'm used to it...the downside is if I fly off a jump in to a tree, I'll damage my own bike lol. I'd really like to use my bike but if it's a risk of not having as much fun then I'd rather use the DH bike....

Thanks in advance!

Peddler

Chimp
Apr 13, 2006
Auburn, CA
This is good advice, it is a great park and you will have more fun with less chance of getting injured being on the appropriate bike. We road last week and enjoyed the trails the rental fleet looked well maintained.

soccerpeve

Chimp
Aug 8, 2011
This is good advice, it is a great park and you will have more fun with less chance of getting injured being on the appropriate bike. We road last week and enjoyed the trails the rental fleet looked well maintained.
When I ride I never use plain flat pedals...do they give you the option for "clipless" when you rent?