Quantcast

Downhill in the east.

mtbman1127

Monkey
Mar 10, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Hey i live in raleigh and i want to get some DH training in on some of my day off's from work. I don't mind driving 1.5 - 2 hours to ride but i cant go much further then that. Does anyone know of anything around a 2 hour drive from Raleigh were i can get some laps in at?

cmscheip

Chimp
Mar 1, 2009
Hey Ryan I've heard of some new trails around Hanging Rock State Park. Not sure on their status or where exactly (i don't think they're inside the park), and they aren't shuttle trails, more like burly all mountain from what I've heard...just a lead sorry for no concrete info.

does anyone know the status of shuttle trails at Uwharrie?

take care

TrekBro

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
Greensboro NC
Wilson's Creek is a good place to DH, legal trails that you can shuttle. i know you just can't ride a bicycle in Hanging rock.

Last edited:

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
You're not going to find any true downhill action in that driving range. 2 hours from Raleigh will get you about 20 minutes from Dark Mtn, but 3 hours would about the minimum drive to get to some real downhill. Bummer.

mtbman1127

Monkey
Mar 10, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Yeah the two hour driving is kinda a guide. I would like to be able to drive out and back home in a day without killing myself trying. Does anyone have a Uwharrie and what trails are good. It doesn't have to be a shuttle i dont mind hiking/riding a little bit.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Where you are at there are plenty of great trails around, you just have to learn to like pedaling. Head up to Danville, VA for some good tight trails, and Uhwarrie is always good, there are some good rock sections there. If you don't have an xc bike or something to pedal on, you might want to look into that.