Quantcast

downhill kayak

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
That seems like the sort of thing you would end up trying drunk with your buddies standing on the side yelling.

What the heck did he even need a paddle for?

It's a good thing that lip he launched off was at the bottom and not half way down.

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
:wtf::beerjam::rockout::popcorn::cheers:

let me clarify...altho the kayaker did a great job keeping the kayak pointed in the right direction, he put himself in a situation where he had absolutely no control. he went off-stream and hit a bump he couldn't absorb which sent him hurdling thru the air...he's extreeemely lucky to not have cracked the back of his head on a rock, instead snapped his kayak. the guy was totally OC.

boone

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
I would almost call that the biggest out of control seal launch I have ever seen.
He should have had a full face on...if he were to go upside down on the way down...yuck!

The paddle was to keep him from going completely out of control, ie upside down, sideway or backwards!

Good thing that drop was not any longer, he would have been in serious trouble!

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
sweet i got a sig-but on another note, that looked pretty stupid. that might be the pot calling the kettle black since we ride downhill but i think thats another level of stupid

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
sweet i got a sig-but on another note, that looked pretty stupid. that might be the pot calling the kettle black since we ride downhill but i think thats another level of stupid
In downhill we find the line between speed and chaos and wrestle it to the ground like a demon cobra. When the fear rises up in our bellies, we use it. And we know that the fear is powerful because it has been there for billions of years. And it is good. And we ride it like a skeleton horse through the gates of hell. That guy, on the other hand, was just out of control.

the diner

Monkey
Jun 19, 2006
Davidson, NC
In downhill we find the line between speed and chaos and wrestle it to the ground like a demon cobra. When the fear rises up in our bellies, we use it. And we know that the fear is powerful because it has been there for billions of years. And it is good. And we ride it like a skeleton horse through the gates of hell. That guy, on the other hand, was just out of control.
LMAO :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :clapping:

Tweety

Chimp
May 30, 2007
Actually, it was a rock slide into a nice, calm pool. It's steeper than ****, but incredibly tame, relatively speaking, to the other stuff Tao has done. He's got a crapload of first descents on stuff that would, by all other accounts, be considered un-runnable. He's definitely a different breed, but this particular one was pretty tame. Do a Utube search for Tao Berman and see what all comes up.

B

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Everything is tame except for that one rock, hydrolic, strainer or whatever has your name on it. You kayakers are crazy- i actually admire the mindset, but know it's not for me. At least when I crash on my DH bike I can breath while I get my composure and check out my body/equipment.

You have to admit that he fell right between those two rocks in the pool. If only they had a RC helicopter to aid in the filming- that would have been even sweeter footage.

springfish

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Hood River, Oregon
Tao lives across the river from me here in Hood River. He's a super nice guy and very intense. I have nothing but respect for that guy. He's accomplished more for the sport of kayaking than any of us will EVER in mountain biking.

He's definitely NOT bender.

Feb 23, 2005
Spokanada
I think that was from Twitch 5?

Sick line for sure, in the movie he talks about how the tide went out while he was climbing so the water was several feet lower then he knew.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
That looked like it could have turned bad very quickly. How did he dent the kayak? Was that from hitting the bump or the water? Scary.