Quantcast

Downhill Practice Track

TranceX2Jake

Chimp
Jun 4, 2011
Hello Everyone,

I went downhill mountain biking for the first time several months ago and I have to say that it was the most extreme experience of my life! I am hooked now! I do not know if I want to race or anything like that, but I do know that I want to be more fluid and relaxed down the hill. That is why I am seriously considering building a small track with some berms and jumps to practice on. I know the best practice would probably be on the trails, but I am not always able to go as often as I would like to. In the mean time I was thinking of practicing on this track to keep in shape. I live in an urban area, but my grandparents have a few acres of pasture I could work with. There is a slight angle to the land, but it should be good enough to get some speed. Do you guys have any input on how I should construct my berms and jumps? Should I include rocky terrain for a scenario approach? Are there any training exercises I could do to perfect my technique? Should I base the track off of the trails I ride? By the way, I live in the SF bay area, so I ride in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Please feel free to give me any input!

Thanks,

Jake

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Hey Trance, look on the internet on how to build things. Look at pictures and experiment with the dirt. It takes time. You can speed up the process by putting logs (if you have a big kicker) or cinderblocks in your jumps. The best way to become a better rider fast it to get to a lift access riding resort out there.

limitedslip

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
1. Starting ramp
2. pedaling section to pick up speed
2a. small double
3. one long flat turn a bit loose and off camber
3a. maybe a roller or small kicker between these corners
4. one flat turn a little sharper with some choppy holes and braking bumps
5. first berm
6. second berm, right out of first
7. a couple tight flat corners to pump through

Get the corners built first, ride them for awhile then add things to jump/pump. Do it this way, because cornering skills are more fundamental, and because as a beginning builder you want to burn your track in (to get the speed correct) before sticking jumps on it.

Other suggestions:
If you have a way to build some steep switchbacks I'd try and practice those as well. Put a finish line at the bottom and time your runs with a stop watch, work on getting the times down.

TranceX2Jake

Chimp
Jun 4, 2011
Thanks for the great input from both of you! Excuse my lack of track terminology, but what is a "small double", "roller", and a "small kicker"?

limitedslip

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Mountain-Bike-Skills-2nd/dp/0736083715/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307240668&sr=8-1
http://www.leelikesbikes.com/
http://www.leelikesbikes.com/category/trail-building

Some resources for you.

A kicker is a "wedge" ramp, usually with a pretty gradual angle, and 6" to a few feet high. The tendency for beginning builders is to make them way too steep, so keep that in mind. Maybe shoot for a 6 to 1 length to height ratio.

A roller is sort of like a smooth speed bump.

A double is two ramps, a take off and landing ramp with a gap in the middle. The steepness of the lip (the part you take off of) and the landing can vary between almost flat and almost vertical. Shoot for almost flat.

Most beginning builders end up building stuff that there just isn't speed for, and putting obstacles too close together. Make sure you plan out the corners, water and PACK everything as soon as you finish building it (don't wait till the next day) and smooth out and pack down the trail between the corners. Use a flat shovel and spade shovel.

TranceX2Jake

Chimp
Jun 4, 2011
That totally clears things up! I have the first edition of the book you recommended. I am getting a lot of info from it! Should I keep the track width similar to a single track, or should I make it a bit wider so I have some room to play around in? How long should I wait to begin riding once I finish watering and packing it down? Should I wait until it is fully dried out? Thanks again for all your help!

Last edited:

limitedslip

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
How long you wait, and how much you actually have to water it depends on your dirt, the current moisture in the dirt, the weather, and your goals for the track. If your land isn't very sloped, your track is going to need to be smoother in order to keep your speed. It also depends on your tires, DH tires will tear up just about any packed dirt if the track isn't dry, whereas some smoother DJ tires can actually help finish packing it.

Wider is better, it's more work though obviously.

If you want more specific advice take some pics of your dirt and any features you are building and post them up.

b.utters

Monkey
Mar 30, 2011
If it's purely for practice, include a heap of turns and make sure you get a lot of variety in there (switch backs, long fast corners, flat turns etc).

If you can get turning right then you will find you flow through tracks a great deal faster and hence, have more fun. This will also help you later on if you decide you want to race. You will make up a lot of time on your competitors if you can rail any type of turn with ease.

Lastly if you have the terrain, try to put some technical rock sections in.