Quantcast

Downhill timing systems

ricebowls

Monkey
May 24, 2002
san francisco
I'm helping promote a DH race and was wondering if anyone here had experience with timing systems and if they could provide some guildlines and advice.
Obviously would like to keep the cost down but good accurate timing is of utmost importance. In other grass roots races I've participated in it looks like they set your start time and then deduct it from your finish time to get the elapsed time. Sounds simple but I've been in enough races to know there's almost always problems.
Any advice would be appriciated.

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Had any luck with your timing? That happens to be the business I am in. Milliseconds Sports Timing. We are a transponder timing company. Transponder timing is the way to go for DH unless you can find a DH Ski Racing set up. You know, gate at the top and electric eye at the bottom. I have seen people try to time DH a number of different ways and screw them up a number of different ways. I can tell you that if you try to use an Excell Spreadsheet to put data in and then have it calculate for you, you will get very frustrated. Excell is a base 100 numeric system and does not take into account a 60 second clock.

If you have good radio comms, you could use a PDA with Pocket Timer, but then you still have to have a way to get your results.

Transponder timing...you can run off a start list and have all your clocks synced up. Finisher comes across the line, data transferred to computer. Pretty easy and very accurate and fast. We can print results within seconds of the conclusion of the race.

If you are interested in more, PM me.