Quantcast

Downhill WC 2018

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Absolutely not, I just made a blanket statement on the internet based on a 3 minute video.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I don't really care who wins or what team anyone is on or what tyres they're using.
I just want to see world class spills n thrills.
My predictions for the most spectacular entertainers this season are

Mike Jones
George Brannigan
Danny Hart
Laurie Greenland
Aaron Gwin
Adam Brayton

Just hope they, along with a few "wild" cards. Deliver ;)
I really hope Brayton is back on form. I really like his riding style.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Oh.. So you think track bitching started in internet forums with links to POV video? Aww... how sweet.

Track bitching has been around as long as track building/race taping has. Never heard Warner or Vouilloz' views on Kaprun?

Vouilloz (1994) Kaprun WC on a GT Zaskar HARDTAIL

I was helping build local DH tracks around then and mates were running low key DH races on them. Track bitching happened even at races with a £10 entry fee. Ridemonkey didn't start the trend.
i was talking specificly about track bitching on ridemonkey from users solely based on blurry vids of unfinished tracks, in that case, la bresse was the first afaik. i was NOT talking about track bitching by actual riders. but as advanced as you are (and fucking old) you probably were king of your local downhill specific usenet group back in 1994 where you bitched about the kaprun track after seeing a stamp sized POV vid in 256 colors after connecting with your dial up modem, right?

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Bos suspension will sponsor the Propain team this year. I am glad to see that they are investing in mtb with their new inverted fork and sponsorship.

Please stay away from bitching about their customer service as there is enough of bitching about track-bitching in this thread already :busted:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
@sethimus Why don't you take a look through that old La Bresse thread? I commented in it more than once while it was current.

Not once did I bitch about the track.

Wild guess. Why do you think that is?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Brayton's been wild (and fast) from day one. really nice guy too.
Yeah but in the last 2 years he has sporadically been getting great results. If he becomes more consistent he can be a podium finisher.

Good to hear he's a nice guy too.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
I also wonder if Gwin will show up on a 29r. YT just released their line up for 2018, and if I'm not mistaken, there is no 29" Tues.

Yet last year, Gwin was pretty open about wanting to get on a 29r, if only to test it against his current bike. I can't imagine YT would say no to that...

Maybe @atrokz has some insight?

They are pretty tight lipped but my understanding is there is testing going on and they will win on whatever size is used..... ;)

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Nah the Judys didn't have the tapered legs. That's a Mag 21 SL I'm sure - the Judys weren't even around in '94.
Gah, that's what I meant... Def a Mag 21 SL... thanks for the correction. The mag 21 was actually a decent if you were light (as I was in those days) and it had a fresh build. Never had one, but it had about 1 3/4" of travel. The first real DH forks I recall were the Judy DH and the Manitou EFC which came a bit later iirc.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Gah, that's what I meant... Def a Mag 21 SL... thanks for the correction. The mag 21 was actually a decent if you were light (as I was in those days) and it had a fresh build. Never had one, but it had about 1 3/4" of travel. The first real DH forks I recall were the Judy DH and the Manitou EFC which came a bit later iirc.
original Judy XC was 63mm
Judy DH was the same fork with 80mm and a steel steerer. RAD eh?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So to recap this thread, we have people bitching about who was bitching about tracks first

whether england and scotland are the same country

whether gary was around for the paleolithic or jurassic ages

actual bitching about tracks

bitching about 29ers

discussion of racers.

well, 2 pesos is that gwin is dominant again before retiring. Either that or he tries desperately to win worlds at the sacrifice of the rest of his season. Hart continues to do kind of OK, splitting his time between 1st and 15th. I think bruni will be back in action, and I expect to see more of troy brosnan as well. I think minaar and gwin duke it out for the series while everybody else just kind of hangs out. then some just off the podium guy takes worlds (not faircloud)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
So to recap this thread, we have people bitching about who was bitching about tracks first

whether england and scotland are the same country

whether gary was around for the paleolithic or jurassic ages

actual bitching about tracks

bitching about 29ers

discussion of racers.
You should probably add this important DOWNHILL info to the DH FAQ sticky for @Udi. ;)

I aint no fackin disney dino @jonKranked

...and this aint no phase mom

Ps. I just bought a new DH frame

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
England and Scotland are the same country. Scotland decided they wanted to live under the yoke of English oppression. Scotland is like the New Jersey of England.

Also the race in Lesoggjnuigi looks stupid.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
England and Scotland are the same country. Scotland decided they wanted to live under the yoke of English oppression. Scotland is like the New Jersey of England.

Also the race in Lesoggjnuigi looks stupid.

scotland is an island off the coast of england, of course it's not the same country.

also, screw you, I called it stupid first. google it. 2003.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Bos suspension will sponsor the Propain team this year. I am glad to see that they are investing in mtb with their new inverted fork and sponsorship.

Please stay away from bitching about their customer service as there is enough of bitching about track-bitching in this thread already :busted:
Atwill is gunu be a wildcard... his trend has been faster and faster

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
The gloss gold legs give away it being the Mag Ti. Butted legs and Ti bolts compared to the regular Mag 21.

Did any of you notice that Pro GRT champion (and 14th at Worlds) Bruce Klein moved to Commencal after only 1 year on KHS? Hoping this helps his World Cup game. I love the support KHS shows to US DH racing but the team doesn't put the same effort into World Cup and probably held back Logan and Kevin's potential.

Also, I lived with the Kleins when Bruce was 17 so I take full credit for his talent.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
The gloss gold legs give away it being the Mag Ti. Butted legs and Ti bolts compared to the regular Mag 21.

Did any of you notice that Pro GRT champion (and 14th at Worlds) Bruce Klein moved to Commencal after only 1 year on KHS? Hoping this helps his World Cup game. I love the support KHS shows to US DH racing but the team doesn't put the same effort into World Cup and probably held back Logan and Kevin's potential.

Also, I lived with the Kleins when Bruce was 17 so I take full credit for his talent.
I thought he was on ellsworth in 2017?
does KHS own ellsworth?

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013

Its pretty awesome to see another young american DH racer at that world level, Refreshing when most of what you see is enduro or trailbike.
related. Also noticed his bike is the 650B version, wonder if he"ll stick to that all year?

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
No,
I thought he was on ellsworth in 2017?
does KHS own ellsworth?
He was on KHS's team with Logan Bingelli and Seamus Powell (Enduro guy). Last time I rode with those guys was Interbike Outdoor demo and they were all on 27.5". I haven't seen Bruce's Commencal or talked to him about wheel size but most top racers in DH and Enduro are testing 29" and 27.5" to decide what's best on which tracks.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
No,

He was on KHS's team with Logan Bingelli and Seamus Powell (Enduro guy). Last time I rode with those guys was Interbike Outdoor demo and they were all on 27.5". I haven't seen Bruce's Commencal or talked to him about wheel size but most top racers in DH and Enduro are testing 29" and 27.5" to decide what's best on which tracks.

wow, I for some very odd reason was getting bruce klien and lopes confused :crazy:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Apparently there a young guy that is seen by the French as the next Vouilloz. His name is Thibaut Daprela. Vouilloz is his coach and he just got into the Commencal DH team
Seems like Cecile enjoyed the VDS race this year, she's opting out of doing/dominating the full EWS series to do more WC DH and Crankworx this year.