Quantcast

Downhill WC 2018

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
If you think that era was any less competitive then you weren't around to witness it. For Vouilloz to maintain that consistency year in/year out as the sport and equipment changed dramatically is a noteworthy feat.

Because I'm salty now I'd even say that's when mountain biking was at its peak given the level of competition and the money at stake.

I have so much to say about this but I'm not sure anything says it better than watching Nico tear up Cap D'Ail in 1993 as a junior and roasting the entire field and then watching that same rider win his 10th worlds nearly a decade later.

Steve Peat is up there too, if for nothing else than for having stayed in the mix for so many years across so many changes in course design and technology.

Y'all are nuts and you're going to say GOAT is Minnaar or Hill or some shit.

It's all moot since Gwin will be the modern era GOAT and there will be no topping that.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So to recap this thread, we have people bitching about who was bitching about tracks first

whether england and scotland are the same country

whether gary was around for the paleolithic or jurassic ages

actual bitching about tracks

bitching about 29ers

discussion of racers.

well, 2 pesos is that gwin is dominant again before retiring. Either that or he tries desperately to win worlds at the sacrifice of the rest of his season. Hart continues to do kind of OK, splitting his time between 1st and 15th. I think bruni will be back in action, and I expect to see more of troy brosnan as well. I think minaar and gwin duke it out for the series while everybody else just kind of hangs out. then some just off the podium guy takes worlds (not faircloud)
You need to update your summary and add bitching about socks.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
If you think that era was any less competitive then you weren't around to witness it.
1) I was

c) Never said anything about the level of competition. The sport was stupid on stupid equipment and spandex plus spandex and spandex.

Sorry for your loss :rofl:

.....and ankle socks

You like palmer because he helped put an end to that shit. You know this.

Downhill from about 2005 on......

Downhill in the 90s

Last edited:

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
What a strike! Just 2000 is missing where he placed 8th...
Thanks for refreshing my memory

Apparently there a young guy that is seen by the French as the next Vouilloz. His name is Thibaut Daprela. Vouilloz is his coach and he just got into the Commencal DH team
i forgot about this kid. he does look fast in the few videos i've seen. curious to see how his WC season goes. the next vouilloz is a bit premature though. let's be real, nobody is going to win 10 worlds again and most likely not 5 overall's after gwin.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
What's wrong with ankle socks :(

I already rock the farmers tan, can't be having tan lines on my shins.

Last edited:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Seems like Cecile enjoyed the VDS race this year, she's opting out of doing/dominating the full EWS series to do more WC DH and Crankworx this year.
That's great! She started her career by winning xc races and now she dominates Enduro so that it would be great to see what she can do in DH. She is physically strong, very technical and likes riding fast downhill, I would like to see her giving a match to Rachel in the future.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Having a new mechanic is quite a change. Minnaar had build a relation with Marshy over the years since 2012. He has to have a lot of trust in his new mechanic so that he can achieve the highest level of mental fitness. Then they need to be on the same line when communicating and the mechanic has to translate what the the rider expresses he wants to what the rider actually needs which can be, but not always, the same thing.

Yeah, about 5 years ago when I had Wyn's trail bike in the workstand and was yakking to him, he said the biggest problem was that with his team at the time (Bulls) the french mechanic just couldn't understand what Wyn was saying.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Now I know you guys don't really ride. Ankle socks have nothing to do with fashion or where you're from and everything to do with gravel and dirt down your socks. They always seem to stretch weird.

So I've heard.
I have always gone with less sock more better, primarily because it is just more shit to get and stay wet during stream crossings.

I do bust out the long socks for trails where shin shredding overgrown vegetation exists. Both or more east coast concerns than west.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
man, I'm going to have to check in more often, this is the ridemonkey gold that has been missing from my life lately.

What's wrong with that croatian track everyone argued about, looks gnar fun deat drop world cup approved.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
i didn't get the title of this vid
It's a series of videos Dirt have made featuring interviews with top people from the 25 years Downhill racing has been a thing...

Sam's Ft William woods section comment. :rofl:

I've missed his confident dry sense of humour at the World Cups

Last edited:

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
1) I was

c) Never said anything about the level of competition. The sport was stupid on stupid equipment and spandex plus spandex and spandex.

Sorry for your loss :rofl:

.....and ankle socks

You like palmer because he helped put an end to that shit. You know this.

Downhill from about 2005 on......

Downhill in the 90s

Had to tell my wife the internet made me cry again. I deserved this.

(Also you forgot to mention anodized parts and NEON)

Yes, Palmer and his ripped jeans was our savior.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Had to tell my wife the internet made me cry again. I deserved this.

(Also you forgot to mention anodized parts and NEON)

Yes, Palmer and his ripped jeans was our savior.
Sorry man I didn't mean to make you cry. But the pic that even started the nico talk pretty much sums it up. Dirt roads were still considered dh tracks. I have no doubt that guy would have been just as dominant (at least as far as the world champs goes) just because that's who he was and he was going to figure it out. But it's a different sport now. I don't think what someone like minnaar or Gwinn have done is any less impressive, and in some ways moreso because they've accomplished lots of things even the great nico never did. And they're going way the fuck faster on just as gnarly and sometimes gnarlier terrain with bigger consequences......in a field full of much better trained competitors.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
You know Vouilloz was doing EWS right though the end of 2016 right? And doing well against the strong field of recent DH pros? Guy shreds to this day. Gotta stop with the era nonsense. He's the men's GOAT, full stop. ACC being the women's GOAT, and her achievements far eclipse even his.

https://www.rootsandrain.com/compare4997,926/ - most of the comparisons tell a similar tale.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2015
Jesus, you guys. Page 2 of this thread is sad to watch.

I think we will see some other girls besides Rachel on the top step more often this year. They're hungrier for it.

No predictions or hopes for the men's field, just looking forward to watching.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Well, there's nothing left to announce other than Nico returning to full-time WC DH. You heard it here first!

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Well, there's nothing left to announce other than Nico returning to full-time WC DH. You heard it here first!
since we're still giving nico well deserved props, don't forget that he qualified 5th in champery in 2007, basically off the couch & 5 years after retiring from WC racing and still qualified ahead of every name brand racer other than hill. yes his final was a shitshow like everyone else but he still beat both male athertons and minnaar.

the GOAT said:
"After one minute in Champery where you don’t have to pedal, I was dead. No power in the steep parts to keep me on high lines…one minute, one thirty, I was gone."