Quantcast

Downhill WC 2018

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My youngest likes watching the bike vids with me too. he learned to ride his pedal bike last fall, and the first thing he said he wanted to do was jumps and flips. I like where this is going.
i've got my son on a balance bike. he's really starting to get the hang of it. i anticipate this spring he'll be full on feet up coasting along. i keep my bmx bike in the garage so i can ride up and down the sidewalks with him.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
i've got my son on a balance bike. he's really starting to get the hang of it. i anticipate this spring he'll be full on feet up coasting along. i keep my bmx bike in the garage so i can ride up and down the sidewalks with him.

The balance bikes are great. My oldest went from the balance bike to the pedal bike real quick. took my youngest an extra year to give up the balance bike. But I'm totally stoked now that they're both riding the pedal bikes. Can't wait for this summer to take them to the trails. it's gonna be awesome!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The balance bikes are great. My oldest went from the balance bike to the pedal bike real quick. took my youngest an extra year to give up the balance bike. But I'm totally stoked now that they're both riding the pedal bikes. Can't wait for this summer to take them to the trails. it's gonna be awesome!
At first he was into it a ton, then he got more into his trike, but back in the fall he was gravitating more towards the balance bike again.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
At first he was into it a ton, then he got more into his trike, but back in the fall he was gravitating more towards the balance bike again.
That's the perfect combo. Teaches them both skills they need to be able to ride: balance and pedaling. Sounds like he'll be ready for the pedal bike soon!

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Yes, balance bikes are amazing and kids can jump straight to a 16" single speed pedal bike without training wheels. Great times!

It gets bad afterward, when the kid hits the death valley of kids bike, where the only affordable bikes are 20" and 24" bikes weighting 25-30lbs with mandatory shit front suspension. What we need/want is light fully rigid bikes on which we could put used 26" XC air fork if the kid needs suspension.

I have a lot to say about this but we're getting off-topic so I'll save my rant for the Industry thread. :)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yes, balance bikes are amazing and kids can jump straight to a 16" single speed pedal bike without training wheels. Great times!

It gets bad afterward, when the kid hits the death valley of kids bike, where the only affordable bikes are 20" and 24" bikes weighting 25-30lbs with mandatory shit front suspension. What we need/want is light fully rigid bikes on which we could put used 26" XC air fork if the kid needs suspension.

I have a lot to say about this but we're getting off-topic so I'll save my rant for the Industry thread. :)
https://www.twowheelingtots.com/ultimate-20-inch-bike-comparison/

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Last edited:

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
Something, something, downhill WC 2018 thread...

I like the last sentence of Hill's interview about how you can ride clipped and be boring or ride flats and have fun.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
And this is what is wrong with the industry: they cater to middle class, middle age dads that turn a WC thread into a discussion about kids bikes.
Newsflash: GG is canceling the development of their "The Kidwoo Plus" and will release the "Little Smasher" 20" bike instead!

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Most of these guys have/had a middle aged middle class white dad.

NEWSFLASH: it's kinda the Downhill mountainbike racer demographic.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
And this is what is wrong with the ridemonkey: they cater to middle class, middle age dads that turn a WC thread into a discussion about kids bikes.
Newsflash: GG is canceling the development of their "The Kidwoo Plus" and will release the "Little Smasher" 20" bike instead!
Fixed it there.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You know Vouilloz was doing EWS right though the end of 2016 right? And doing well against the strong field of recent DH pros? Guy shreds to this day. Gotta stop with the era nonsense. He's the men's GOAT, full stop. ACC being the women's GOAT, and her achievements far eclipse even his.

https://www.rootsandrain.com/compare4997,926/ - most of the comparisons tell a similar tale.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Nah.. he's implying he's cooler than nico. Which to be fair isn't difficult.
Fonzie is my archetype of cool :busted:
henry-winkler-as-the-fonz-001.jpg

Nico does kind of look cool too. Well not as much as Fonzie, but lifting both thumbs up while holding a bike is kind of difficult... :thumb:
Nicolas_Vouilloz_Lapierre_Spicy_Bikecheck_Copyright_OBeart_VojoMag-1.jpg

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I dont know how this is still a discussion. What Nico did will never again be repeated not because he was better than everybody else, but because of ankle socks. Nobody else will wear em now though, because everybody agreed they look stupid.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Nobody else will wear em now though, because everybody agreed they look stupid.
They were a little known subclause to the skinsuit ban. Depite massive performance gains, the sport agreed the looks factor wasn't worth it and banned them too.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah, Coz putting on a little uniform that matches your bike to ride it in the woods behind your house is cool*.

* if you're 10yrs old

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Yeah, Coz putting on a little uniform that matches your bike to ride it in the woods behind your house is cool*.

* if you're 10yrs old
not even then bro
lots of rocks, eh? now where have we heard that before...
they're all stacked on the sides of the trail. watching it gives me the heebie-effing-jeebies. imagine the impact that the power of the reflected sunlight from all those rox is going to have on the crabon 29er framez?!!?!?!?!