Quantcast

Downhillers trail bike, fork recommendations?

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
Looking for a new fork for my 2013 Enduro. The stock 34 Float CTD has been a bit of a let down in performance, lack of mid stroke support mainly. Considering a few different options.

a) X-Fusion Slant: cheep, lightish, 160mm travel, tapered steerer and 15mm axle. will bolt right on with no other mods needed. I have a Velvet for my hard tail and it's treated me well so far but I don't have a lot of use on it yet. Would get the regular RL2 version. I don't need a remote lock out or travel adjust. Looks good on paper but wish it had a regular compression adjust rather then the lockout.

b) Marzocchi 55CR: also very well priced, I can get one nearly as cheeply as the Slant. Like that it's beefy and has a compression adjuster. 170mm travel. Would need to change hubs as it's 20mm but thats fine. Seems to only come in straight 1 1/8 steerer tube thou. Not sure if that is worth fusing about or not.

c/d) Pony up a bit more cash for a Vengance HLR or 55RC3. Get lots of fancy adjusters, but is it worth it?

e) Keep the 34 and drop a avy cart in it. This in theory would give me the best dampener but I'm not sure I want to keep the 34. It's getting sent in for service, looks like crown-steere-unit issues. creeky as all get out.

Suggestions?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
If your 34 is going to Fox for service, have them drop in the 2014 cartridge. Allegedly it has much better mid-stroke support and still gets full travel. Cost is pretty low on the new cartridge, IIRC, and since it's already going in for service you might as well try it. If you still don't like it, then you can sell it with basically new internals and try something else.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Looking for a new fork for my 2013 Enduro. The stock 34 Float CTD has been a bit of a let down in performance, lack of mid stroke support mainly. Considering a few different options.

a) X-Fusion Slant: cheep, lightish, 160mm travel, tapered steerer and 15mm axle. will bolt right on with no other mods needed. I have a Velvet for my hard tail and it's treated me well so far but I don't have a lot of use on it yet. Would get the regular RL2 version. I don't need a remote lock out or travel adjust. Looks good on paper but wish it had a regular compression adjust rather then the lockout.

b) Marzocchi 55CR: also very well priced, I can get one nearly as cheeply as the Slant. Like that it's beefy and has a compression adjuster. 170mm travel. Would need to change hubs as it's 20mm but thats fine. Seems to only come in straight 1 1/8 steerer tube thou. Not sure if that is worth fusing about or not.

c/d) Pony up a bit more cash for a Vengance HLR or 55RC3. Get lots of fancy adjusters, but is it worth it?

e) Keep the 34 and drop a avy cart in it. This in theory would give me the best dampener but I'm not sure I want to keep the 34. It's getting sent in for service, looks like crown-steere-unit issues. creeky as all get out.

Suggestions?

Buy a cheap used lyric coil, sell the 34 and put the ava in the lyric? It may be much work but it's a nice option. Though CR seems like a nice option if you are ok with the weight.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I've heard good things about the xfusion, but never seen one in real life. Also, most of the good things are coming from people involved with the company in one way or another. I think the damper technology is relatively simple, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work well.

I really like my 888 CR, for what that's worth. It's consistent and the adjusters work, so if i want more damping, I can actually get it. It also has a useable range, which seems to be a rarity sometimes. However, I wouldn't buy a single crown fork that isn't tapered unless you either want to run an angleset or have to because of your frame. If you have the option, I can't see any logic for 1.125 vs. 1.5t

One other option I've seen recently is the manitou Minute. It looks pretty rad, lightweight, cheap ($380 for the pro), and people say the MARS spring is a pretty good system, and everybody loves TPC+. It only has 32mm stanchions, but between the tapered crown and a 15 (sigh) or 20mm through axle, it should make up for it to a degree. They come in 100/120/140mm travels, but are not swappable between. I'm thinking about picking up a tower 120 for my next trailbike fork, since marzo doesn't make a CR dampered 29er fork.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I only have a couple rides on one, but the new Pike is pretty sweet. Peeps that have them keep calling it the best long travel single crown ever. Not sure about that, but it should be on your list to at least check out.

I have a new 34 on my bronson and although it is better than last year, it is still frustrating trying to get the right mix of small bump compliance, mid-stroke support, and bottoming resistance. CTD might be good for the masses, but it's not so good if you don't like their settings.

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
If your 34 is going to Fox for service, have them drop in the 2014 cartridge. Allegedly it has much better mid-stroke support and still gets full travel. Cost is pretty low on the new cartridge, IIRC, and since it's already going in for service you might as well try it. If you still don't like it, then you can sell it with basically new internals and try something else.
+1 on trying the 2014 cartridge first before replacing the fork all together.

I had them service my 2013 32 TALAS when my bushings needed replacing and they put the 2014 cartridge in while the where at it. The improvement was noticeable from the beginning of the first ride. (I do have a trail adjust model though, so I didn't have nearly as much of a problem to begin with as those with a non-trail adjust model).

Last edited:
I only have a couple rides on one, but the new Pike is pretty sweet. Peeps that have them keep calling it the best long travel single crown ever. Not sure about that, but it should be on your list to at least check out.
have you tried it for the bronson? i'm interested in hearing the comparison between the Pike and the new 34. i'm just running a revelation right now on the bronson. i am 99% sure that i will be buying the pike next month for it.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
+2 for the Pike. Been running it for a month now and wow is all I have to say about it.

that said, someone posted a teaser facebook post from Push, who apparently are working on a retrofit for the 34. Would have the possibility to adjust volume of air spring and replace the CTD with RC2.... or you could just get Fox to plop the 2014 cart into your fork.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Apart from the long term durability questions, Pike by far. That fork is killer, only downfall is 15mm axle which is par for the course these days.

Or spend a billion dollars buying a Fox 34 and aftermarket parts to make it work correctly, but still not as good as a Pike.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Older or NOS 36 Float? Float with the SKF seals has been a treat to me.
I just replaced the 888r on my Fly with a 36 TALAS and it's been awesome. It was a PITA finding a used one with a 1.125" steer-tube long enough for my Foes, but if you can run a tapered steerer, they're everywhere, if you want the shorter travel version (mine is 170mm) they're cheap too. Think I paid $500 for mine, and couldn't be happier.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
have you tried it for the bronson? i'm interested in hearing the comparison between the Pike and the new 34. i'm just running a revelation right now on the bronson. i am 99% sure that i will be buying the pike next month for it.
Yeah, one of the two times I've ridding the new pike was on a buddy's bronson. Felt great, stayed up in its travel/less dive but still pretty plush in the small stuff. I am considering switching.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Apart from the long term durability questions, Pike by far. That fork is killer, only downfall is 15mm axle which is par for the course these days.

Or spend a billion dollars buying a Fox 34 and aftermarket parts to make it work correctly, but still not as good as a Pike.
or spend less money than either of those 2 options and have a fork that works really well. The X-Fusion stuff is really good and the price is certainly right. I have been beating on my slant pretty hard and it just keeps feeling better every ride. I don't find myself missing the compression adjust too much, they got it pretty dialed in how it is IMO.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
everyone's raving about the new pike. but i'm also hearing about a few QC issues with the sram FIT cartridge, so i'm going to continue running my 2014 fox 34 adjust on the bronson until next year. have been pretty happy with it, other than the CTD settings I never use, and the actual weight being so much higher than the claimed weight.

Was very happy with my MX tune push/fox coil back when that came out, so I'd be all over converting my fox 34 to that. or getting the 27.5 Lyrik when that comes out, and having a 20 mm thru axle again.

I agree w/ the recommendation to try the 2014 fox cartridge...a relatively cheap and simple improvement, and then you can decide what to do next year. at least fox forks have a decent resale value usually.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
My vote: Lyrik with dh cartridge. I've had mine for 2 seasons now, zero complaints or issues. I hear the solo air is a little more linear feeling, but I like the dual position air, and it resists brake dive pretty well.

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
Any of the dorks mentioned are going to be better than what you have. Cheapest option is to have Fox fit the 2014 cart in to your fork. I believe they are going this for a reduced rate since the 2013 is crap. I have a Pike on my new bike and it does feel incredible, however RS don't have the best record with new products so it might be wise to give it a miss for 6 months and see how things pan out.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I've been thoroughly impressed with the X-Fusion offerings. Just search around and you'll see how damn picky I am about suspension, and that should tell you something.

I got rid of a Lyrik in favor of a 170mm Vengeance HLR DLA, and it's a DAMN nice fork. The O2 rear shock has also far surpassed expectations.

Then consider the fact that they're usually the same price or cheaper than Fox or RS. No reason at all to pay a premium for any of those forks.

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
I've been thoroughly impressed with the X-Fusion offerings. Just search around and you'll see how damn picky I am about suspension, and that should tell you something.

I got rid of a Lyrik in favor of a 170mm Vengeance HLR DLA, and it's a DAMN nice fork. The O2 rear shock has also far surpassed expectations.

Then consider the fact that they're usually the same price or cheaper than Fox or RS. No reason at all to pay a premium for any of those forks.
or spend less money than either of those 2 options and have a fork that works really well. The X-Fusion stuff is really good and the price is certainly right. I have been beating on my slant pretty hard and it just keeps feeling better every ride. I don't find myself missing the compression adjust too much, they got it pretty dialed in how it is IMO.
X-Fusion FTW!

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
That would be awesome. However I was under the impression that the revalve was for the FIT carts only. I just have the low end non fit dampener. Would be nice if I was wrong.
sorry, i completely spaced and the re-valve i was talking about was for CTD.. i derp'd.

i have no idea what FiT revalves cost

i had a velvet RL before i bought my fox f32 (with fit damper), i really liked the x fusion.. the only reason i got rid of it was so my buddy could get a fork at a decent price, while i got a new take off, for a decent price. ;)

the one thing i did notice though, was that the whole fork felt far stiffer than my fox.. even when i took a couple of lbs out in the XF fork.. perfect for my bud who weighs 20-30 lbs more than me. i believe when he rebuilt it, he also put slightly thicker oil in it.

Last edited: