Quantcast

Downhilling in Spain

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
I remember seeing a video of a place run by some brits, possibly brothers on either mtbcut or dirtmag this spring. Does anybody remember what I'm talking about/have any info. My friend and I want to do some riding during the winter and we feel like getting out of the states. Any suggestions for other lift access places that are open during the winter would be great but we're specifically looking for this place in spain. Thanks.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
the rock shox testing video? sorry no link, but they did some DH in spain, and vids were all over the place. Peaty, Neethling, and morland were there.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
There was article in DIRT mag a few issues back. The trails looked fantastic. It was all shuttle serviced, no lifts. I'll have a look in my stash tonight and see if I can find the companies name.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
Switchbacks DH is one company i know of - can't remember where they are, but they did get a good write up in Dirt.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Is it possible to ride in Pyrenees or Sierra Nevada during European winter? I mean January? I remember it was quite humid and windy on south of Spain during winter...

M12

Chimp
Jul 7, 2009
Hey,

I'm from Spain. All the ski resorts have just closed last Monday, so there are no chairlift bikeparks available untill next season.

However, as mentioned above, there are a couple of places you can go in the winter. La Fenasosa in Alicante would probably be my bet. That's where they did the 2010 Boxxer presentation.

Otherwise, you have Switchbacks DH, more to the south of Spain.

Both links to their websites have been posted above.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Is it possible to ride in Pyrenees or Sierra Nevada during European winter? I mean January? I remember it was quite humid and windy on south of Spain during winter...
The Pyrenees will be snow-covered, that much I can tell you; there are actually a few ski resorts in the Spanish Pyrenees close to the France border. There is some freeride in the regions near Zaragoza but not really lift-accessed DH, I cannot speak for Cataluña or anywhere west/south though.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Switchbacks dh is run by a good mate of mine.
Go and check him out seriously. His name is James McKnight and was featured in Dirt as well as numerous videoswih that company.
Tell him I sent you.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
DHSpain and SwitchBacksDH offers are intersting, but I am looking for some info about trails so I could organize suc trip on my own.
So, it has to be south of Spain for sure. Will tracks be rideable in January?

What about Canary Islands? It's still Spain ;) Tenerife? Vulcano? Gran Canaria?

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
having been to the switchbacksdh in spain, I couldn't recommend it enough, some of the best mountainbiking around. :thumb:

BrayDownhill

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Bray, Ireland
http://www.switch-backsdh.com/

Located in Benalmadena just outside Malaga for sweet DH and mediterrainean lifestyle :)
They also got a place in Bubion in the Sierra Nevada ridge. Both places are excelent, or should I say f-n awsome!
Switchbacks were very very good. Myself and a friend went last February for ten days I think. We rode for 4 Days near Malaga on some brilliant tracks, a day near Granada (on what was being called Minnaars track, broke my foot here) and then 4 or 5 days in Bubion.

Malaga was great, weather was a bit miserable when we were there but this just meant the tracks were extra grippy and the dust stayed down! Trails varied quite a bit from flat out jumpy bermy affairs to technical rocky trails to rooty forested loose stuff....everything was loose! Food was great and the guides were very cool and knew the place and trails inside out.

Minnaars track was brilliant, fast flowy and such a quick uplift. Did loads of runs, it has great criss crossing sections that join together for some superb trails, short and fun. Broke my foot here so the first day in Bubion (Minnaars track was ridden on the transit day between Malaga and Bubion) was no riding for me, second day, loads of pain killers, strap and tape and out we go.

Bubion was very different, bit more pedalling between trails but the the trails were amazing, very very natural, some where tech and others were just flat out pumpy fun, all were quite long, 7-25 mins. Bubion is a beautiful village in the mountains, very picturesque and great food. I'm amazed that this area hasn't featured in the larger MTB movies, the surroundings, long flat out and drifty trails and landscape would film so well!

The only thing I'd warn people about Switchbacks is that if your the type of person who likes to get up at the crack of dawn and get straight out on the bike and do 50million runs in the day, forget about it. The switchback boys have been bitten by that Mediterranean bug and work at a brilliantly relaxed pace. Best thing to do was to relax in the evenings, have some beers, get up around 9 in the morning, have some coffee, a nice breakfast and then the lads will whisk you away around 10ish for some savage riding. Some of the people that were there when I was there weren't very happy with this as they wanted to rush here and rush there, for me, I do that 6 days a week when I'm back home, it was great to be able to un wind over there. Its a biking HOLIDAY after all!

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
ookeeey :D That was interesting ;P

http://www.lafenasosa.com/

Seems their website is down right now, but Jean-Phillipe is pretty much the nicest guy in the world, and his bike park is awesome. This is the park where the 2010 Boxxer launch camp was held.
This is a tempting place. Do they operate in winter?

Last edited: