Quantcast

Downhillzone in Seattle

Secret Squirrel said:
... paid someone to do the handling/packing/whatever instead of getting his buddy to do it "properly" shows that he didn't think everything all the way through....
Actually it sounds like he DID think it through.He paid the professionals to pack his bike.
I would expect a bike to be packed 'properly' when you 'pay' a 'bike shop' to do it.
But that's just me, I'm kind picky that way, I expect people to do the 'job' they were 'paid' to do.

As far as being a customer.......I believe DHZ has $218 of his, sounds like a customer to me.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
how hard is it to package something?

so simple. and knowing how the internet can generate so much good/bad opinions, wouldn't you WANT to make everyone you deal with as happy as possible?

this isn't the first time i've heard about bad customer service from DHZ. which is why I always mail order parts or shop at supergo....:nuts:

stinsonblvd

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Seattle
Maybe Darren didn't care because Mtbike was in from out of town...I guess he didn't factor in how fast information travels on this Internet thingy..

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Do you have to buy something from some buisness before you are a customer or are you a customer when you show an interest in spending $$$$?Maybe you are a potential customer,sometimes people will visit a retailler several time before spending $$$ it is all a way to prove there worth.

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
pnj said:
how hard is it to package something?

so simple. and knowing how the internet can generate so much good/bad opinions, wouldn't you WANT to make everyone you deal with as happy as possible?

this isn't the first time i've heard about bad customer service from DHZ. which is why I always mail order parts or shop at supergo....:nuts:
Pat the mail order whore!:evil:

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
I went into the DHZ once to take a look. Everyone was nice and I never had a need to go in again since I live in Oly.

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
you know, if Darren wasn't the little kid he is, this wouldn't be 50 posts deep. He would have taken care of it. Maybe if he messed up, he would own up. if he didn't and the poster was a clown then it would have been known by now.

I have spent about 12-15k (yes I'm an idiot) at the DHZ. Darren pissed me of a bunch of times but i got my bike taken care of. Scotty was always on the ball.
One day Darren pissed me off too much. so F him. He was acting like a baby about tripping over someones bike (not mine and it's a bike shop by the way) and he picks up the "hook on a stick to get tires off the ceiling" and swings it and hits my bike.

stupid. he needs counseling. but what do i care. all i know is, support big or little, but not Darren. And Scotty, I would love you to build my wheels again but not when Darren's making some cash.

If darren's so stand-up, why all this?

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
PsychO!1 said:
Sweet, it's been too long since we rode! :dancing:
We need to hit GM soon. Tin Mine trail is going to be destroyed, and ive still never seen it. I think skookum wants to hit it in a few weeks... you have an open calender??

BTW, Ive never had good or bad service at DHZ. I generally dont spend $$ in shops. Ive been there twice, Once to meet the guy from banshee, and the other time they were closed. I can say though, that scotty has always been super cool at the races, and always willing to take time to BS, and even give advice/tech info on product (like telling me how to improve my boxxer). Ive spoken to Darren a few times at PA/38, and he wasnt ever a dick or anything, unlike what everyone says.

vibiker

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Santa Clara / Vashon
Come on Matt. Don't hold back. Tell us what you really think. :eek:

66 said:
you know, if Darren wasn't the little kid he is, this wouldn't be 50 posts deep. He would have taken care of it. Maybe if he messed up, he would own up. if he didn't and the poster was a clown then it would have been known by now.

I have spent about 12-15k (yes I'm an idiot) at the DHZ. Darren pissed me of a bunch of times but i got my bike taken care of. Scotty was always on the ball.
One day Darren pissed me off too much. so F him. He was acting like a baby about tripping over someones bike (not mine and it's a bike shop by the way) and he picks up the "hook on a stick to get tires off the ceiling" and swings it and hits my bike.

stupid. he needs counseling. but what do i care. all i know is, support big or little, but not Darren. And Scotty, I would love you to build my wheels again but not when Darren's making some cash.

If darren's so stand-up, why all this?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
MMike said:
team shot...from the website....taken in 2000...

they need new photos.....

edit: (Look how much hair trailhacker has!! They REALLY need new photos....I kid because I love....)

I don't recognize the blonde guy in the back standing up..:think:

PS. check out that Qranc helmet....that brings back memories.

Arm@ndo

Chimp
Jul 27, 2005
I think it would be pretty naive not to think that even our favourite shops don't see their share of unhappy customers come through their doors.
Not to defend DHZ entirely, but how funny is it that bad service always gets publicity, it's rarely that the good service is broadcast.
We learn as humans do and try to steer clear of bad experiences.
Sometimes the outcome of a contract will depend on how dilligent we are about our homework prior to the agreement.
Yes, it sucks to have to double and triple cover yourself, but in today's society, it's a necessity.
DHZ certainly has a style of its own, call it as you wish... I have personally had run-ins with Scotty and Darren, and whether or not they may gripe about me when I leave, in the end I could give a big ol'e MIERDA since they always meet my expectations. And in the end that's what matters to me most.
In short, the attitude is something I can handle. It is blatant dishonesty that I won't stand by... and ultimately, us as consumers have a choice as to who we patronize. So, I guess if there service sucks that bad, I suppose it'll all catch up with them in the end...
When the end will be it is not certain since they've managed to hold it together for a few years...

Sorry to hear about your hassle, MTbike... I guess we all learned here.

Mtbike said:
And if I remember correctly in sales the customer is always right.
the customer is not always right, many times the customer is WRONG!!! not to say you were wrong in this instance, but i have dealt with enough idiots that think they are right and the shop should bend over backwards because they are buying a $5 part. no the customer is not always right in anything.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I totally agree...you only ever hear the bad stuff on the internet. But come on. How many threads like this have there been about other shops? I dare say none.... said it before, I'll say it again. Darren makes his own misery.....

Mtbike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Indiana
Zman said:
the customer is not always right, many times the customer is WRONG!!! not to say you were wrong in this instance, but i have dealt with enough idiots that think they are right and the shop should bend over backwards because they are buying a $5 part. no the customer is not always right in anything.
Being able to tell the difference between a pain in the ass and a good paying customer is the art of sales. Yes, sometimes you have to fire the customer because it is not worth your time. But you need to be careful how you do it or your reputation will suffer.

To many bike shop employee have a jaded attitude toward their customers. Yes customers want everything for nothing, they are a pain in the ass, that's sales. You get paid to help people solve their problems, and that can be frustrating. And on top of all this some customers want to be friendly with the shop employees, which may lead to people hanging out at your shop you don't want around, asking to go on rides and to get a discount on stuff(I always find that beer is the fastest way to a Shop Rats heart).

It is a thankless job selling and wrenching on bikes! Have You Hugged Your Local Bike Shop Employee Today?

I always thought the best way to show appreciation to my LBS was to continue to patronize them and tell everyone I know to go to the shop for all their needs.

The customer is always right...Don't forget it, that's how you get paid!

Jun 18, 2004
Mtbike said:
Being able to....BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH
...how you get paid!
here's my 2cs.... Get Over It! buddy!; soon enought you'll be riding again.... either that or maybe you sould take up jogging... or :evil: w/the :devil: but no :eviltongu

Mtbike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Indiana
Str8OutaBallard said:
here's my 2cs.... Get Over It! buddy!; soon enought you'll be riding again.... either that or maybe you sould take up jogging... or :evil: w/the :devil: but no :eviltongu
Did I touch a nerve?

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
I think if he was getting over it, this thread would have died at least 2 pages ago?
I know mmmmmmmmmmike can't let go even though hes in a different country that is at least half way across ours.
vibiker said:
Mike,
To me it sounds like he is getting over it. He is just using this forum to vent a bit which I think is quite understandable.:rolleyes:

stinsonblvd

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Seattle
So, out of my frustration with the owner of DHzone, I decided to go check out the GHY shop. I walked in and they were actually interested in talking to me. There was no cocky, pretentious, crappy behavior that seems to be the norm at certain shops in town. My faith is now restored in the LBS-I will be spending my hard earned cash in this shop.

Arm@ndo

Chimp
Jul 27, 2005
UniversalCycles has been solid for me every time !
I've only dealt with Beyond Bikes once.
A friend of mine had been interested in replacing an old bike he had.
Gave me his credit card and told me to get him solid bike for a good price. I had my eyes set on an Ellsworth Moment.
After shopping on the net, incidentally, I found that the reason why Beyond Bikes is so hot on pushing Ellsworths is because apparently the owner is Tony Ellsworth's brother.
I scanned the BBikes site and found some great deals. I called them and got a great package put together.
I asked if they'd throw in an Ellsworth Tshirt for free and asked for a solid delivery date to my door so that my friend could plan his vacation.
I the end, before I built up the bike, the frame and parts arrived well packaged but not until a week after promise date to my door. Also, I noticed that the Tshirt they agreed to send as a freebie was not the official Ellsworth Tshirt but some random shirt Ellsworth employees use at shows that had a small Ellsworth and other sponsor logos on crooked. I said, oh well, no worries, it was a freebie. Then, when checking the invoice, I noticed that they had actually charged the Tshirt to the account. I found out that the Ellsworth T's were out of stock. At that point, it became more hassle for me to follow up on it than it was worth, so I just let it go but never forgot.