Quantcast

downieville conditions as of 6/12

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I think some of you were wondering just how much snow is left on the butcher ranch trail (DH trail). I rode it today. I would say that we were able to ride 85% of the trail. We had to hike a little over 2 miles from where the shuttle dropped us off, although he could've went further and I think next weekend they will be able to get people much closer. The top of the butcher ranch trail was kind of in rough shape. Alot of rock death cookies and ruts from water running down the trail. The bottom 1/2 of butcher ranch and 3rd divide trail were in great shape and probably the best that I have ever seen. No dust what so ever and alot of little fun streams and mud to get dirty in.

If you get a sandwich from the deli in the little market be sure to check for cheese. He forgot cheese on 3 out of 3 of our sandwiches. I think I discovered how d'ville is really making all of it's money. :eek:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
dfinn said:
If you get a sandwich from the deli in the little market be sure to check for cheese. He forgot cheese on 3 out of 3 of our sandwiches. I think I discovered how d'ville is really making all of it's money. :eek:
I think it is the free labor when convince out-of-towners it is fun to dig trails and cut branches for no pay.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
i know some people on here ( you know who you are ;) ) kind of had the opinion that the trail wasn't ready to ride but they were running shuttles anyways. In some ways that may be true but they also weren't charging full price so it kinda works out.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Are there going to be shuttles in Downieville during the week before the race? I'd like to get some time on course before the race. Seems every time I race without preriding I always get smashed.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Boy oh Boy are you in for a surprise.

That joint is no longer open. Trust me, if it was there would have been no cheese'less sandwiches.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I know, it was the best way to finish off a ride there (horse shoes and beer across the river at the park came in at a close second). I asked why but I forgot the answer. Something like it was too much work for that one lady to handle or something like that. I think it's going to be replaced but not sure what kind of food it will be.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Since I've never ridden the downieville, anything I ought to expect on race day? I am assuming there is nothing man made on the run, so how are the natural features such as drops and chutes? Would I be better off on my full out DH bike, or something more like my Specialized Enduro?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I think the course is butcher ranch to 3rd divide. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but if that's the case I would think you would be waaaaay better off on something like your enduro. I've ridden both a full on DH bike there and a 5" trail bike and the DH bike was overkill. There will be no stunts, there isn't really any drops or chutes. There is some pedaling though, although that kind of depends on where they place the finish line which I'm not sure of.

Do the fast guys like Weir and Henry usually ride DH bikes or trail bikes?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Dropping 4,700 vertical feet in 15 miles from Packer Saddle, the Downieville Downhill is the longest and most demanding downhill race in the nation. The singletrack course features the world famous Butcher Ranch, Third Divide and First Divide Trails. A perfect Sierra blend!
Butcher Ranch trail offers every aspect of a true MOUNTAIN MAN downhill; long-wooded corridors for reaching tear-shedding speeds, rock drop-offs to keep the pucker power puckering, and to bring true downhill fanatics to their overprotected knees, the Downieville Downhill serves up a quarter mile, 550’ climb midway- guaranteed to get heart rates into the red zone. From the top of the climb there’s no time to relax, because Third Divide trail plunges riders down another 1,500' into the Lavezzola Creek canyon for the fastest section of the course. After Third Divide it’s all pedal-work into Downieville on First Divide Trail.
Record holder Mark Weir(00:39:48.87) looks to defend his title against some of the top downhillers in the world, including Downieville's own Henry O'Donnell.

^ that's the descripton from the downieville classic web page so I think I am right. It's the exact same route I rode 2 days ago and I was happy not to have a full on DH bike for some parts of that course. There is some climbing and some flat sections towards the end of the course that you could probably make better time on a 5x5 or a light 6x6 type bike.

edit : and unless I'm missing something I think the part about the "pucker factor" and "bring true DH riders to their knees" is mostly hype. although maybe i'm just not going fast enough, but I don't think that's it.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Weir and O'Donnell typically used 5-6 inch travel bikes with air shocks front and rear. Last year both used Blurs, I believe, but I am not sure this year they are going to use Blur LT or the Nomad.

One thing to note is there is a Pro competition for overall time in both the DH and the XC courses (both run from Packer Saddle, but the XC course makes the climb up 3000' from Sierra City). You need to use the same bike for both races and I am sure Weir will compete and I hope O'Donnell does as well.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
One thing I personally would consider doing if I was racing this is either run heavier tubes or 2 ply tires. I have seen many flats and had a few myself.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
According to a WTB ad, Weir ran a 2.5 Weirwolf and a 2.4 Nanoraptor, both race models I believe.

Weir might be smoother than you or I, though...

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I would immagine he's much smoother than me and probably a good deal lighter than myself also. I believe the "race" model of those tires are pretty light and thin. Probably a good tire combo for there though. I used 2.3" Kenda blue grooves in the sticky rubber compound and they worked really nice for the varying conditions that they have going on out there now.

Backpack1

Monkey
Mar 16, 2005
GNORKAL
Ride the lightest bike you can handle...seriously...I have slogged the race 3 times...even a Bullit with Boxxers was WAY overkill! The pedalling will sap the very life out of you on a big bike. Light bike with strong tire casings would be the way to be competitive if that's yer bag. Oh and don't run low pressure, either....this is a downhill cross country race with a few sharp rocks thrown in.....a great must-do race.