Quantcast

Downieville Epic: North Yuba-Halls Ranch-Fiddle Creek

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Last weekend was the first Downieville Epic for this year, sponsored by Sierra Buttes Trails Stewardship. The Stewardship, for short, are the people who maintain the many trails surrounding the town of Downieville, including Packer Saddle, Butcher Creek, and the Divides. The Epic rides are the reward for the hard work keeping the trails open and rideable.

The route for this Epic was the brainchild of Tim Goat, an officer of the Stewardship and the person who first invited me to Downieville (in December no less, when the town is virtually closed for winter). He loves the North Yuba Trail, but it rarely gets ridden, most choosing to shuttle their rides.

After the sign-up at the Cal-Ida Campground, about 12 miles west of Downieville, we rode across the bridge over the North Yuba River at Rocky Rest to start the Epic along the North Yuba Trail. I chuckled at Tim's description of this section, ".... is geared towards all levels of riders. Bring the family and friends." While the North Yuba trail climbs over no mountains, it has 1100 feet of steep, loose rock slopes; and if you wobble off the trail, you only fall about 100 feet down a cliffside. A perfect ride for "all levels of riders".

After finishing North Yuba, you get a chance to cool off in one of many chilly mountain streams, or in my case, the opportunity to wash off the urushiol oil (thanks Monica, for the Tecnu).

North Yuba is almost entirely tight singletrack, so it was nice to ride along the road to Halls Ranch, chatting with my fellow riders. While we might dream about a ride like North Yuba, riding along the road at an easy pace is very sociable. I joked with my new friends about today was only day this month I was going to be nice, because I "let" them follow me to the next trailhead.

After lunch, we continued up Halls Ranch. If you did some research, you'll know that the Epic is 21 miles. A relatively short distance for an Epic ride, but I doubt anyone has this climb on their rides: 2500+ feet in 1.6 miles. There were two short "flat" sections along Halls Ranch. Otherwise, it was constant 15-18% grades on loose soil. Try pushing your bike up the staircase of the Empire State Building twice, and you have an idea what Halls Ranch was like.

I did find out that the pro XC rider, Jason from WTB, was able to ride to the top on his Giant NRS carbon, but I think he was the only one.

Making it to the top was not exactly a relief either. I had to stop and rest for a while, but the descent on Fiddle Creek was no joy. You would descend 300', then climb for 100'. It was a amazing trail, with long straightaways and vicious switchbacks, but after a 12 mile ride and a 2 mile hike to the top of the ridge, I was cursing why were there uphills on my descent to the finish.

About mile 18, when I was running out of water, slurping Gu like it was morphine, and hoping a Powerbar will stop delirium, it dawned on me: this was an Epic ride. I was almost disappointed when I finally made it to the finish.

Pics:

Tim Goat, Eric in the background, Ron from Plumas and a gentleman who I believe rented a Nomad for the day

I believe this gentleman is also named Tim

The Ladies of The Ride

George, in response to my unsolicted phototaking

The Eyes Are Windows To The Soul (thanks Asa)

Ugly

What to do with your new Nomad at the top of the climb

Even at the top, I cannot get away from stalkers (just kidding Charlie)

Two of the people to blame for today's suffering (thanks Wayno and Asa)

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
sanjuro said:
After lunch, we continued up Halls Ranch. If you did some research, you'll know that the Epic is 21 miles. A relatively short distance for an Epic ride, but I doubt anyone has this climb on their rides: 2500+ feet in 1.6 miles. There were two short "flat" sections along Halls Ranch. Otherwise, it was constant 15-18% grades on loose soil. Try pushing your bike up the staircase of the Empire State Building twice, and you have an idea what Halls Ranch was like.
Daaaaammmmmnnnn. :eek: