Quantcast

Downieville Epic Ride/Trail Daze Oct 8-9

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
There is a big Downieville Epic Ride this Saturday and a Trail Daze this Sunday, both sponsored by the Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship (www.sierratrails.org).

I will post more specifics, but this might be your last chance this year to ride Packer Saddle before winter arrives...

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
chicodude said:
Interesting...I have never been to D-ville...
it's well worth the drive. get there before it snows, and it's starting to feel like that might not be that far away.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
dfinn said:
it's well worth the drive. get there before it snows, and it's starting to feel like that might not be that far away.

Well, It may be an option...I need someone to ride with.

Which bike should I bring? Dh or XC?

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
chicodude said:
You can do either. I went there on my VP Free and only had to walk up 3 hills that werent too long. I had a blast up there. If I wasnt leaving for AZ the next weekend I think I would try to make it up there.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
chicodude said:
Well, It may be an option...I need someone to ride with.

depends on what your xc bike is? the past couple of times I've been there I've been on a 5" trail bike and I think that's just about perfect. DH bike is fun but a little over kill.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I chuckle at pictures of 50 lb DH bikes. I do have a VP-Free and I enjoy it more on that than my Kona Dawg.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Update: Trail Daze will be Saturday. We will working on the trail connector between the shuttle drop off point and the beginning of Packer Saddle. Food and DRINK will be supplied. We will probably ride down Packer as well.

Sunday will be riding from town, route tbd.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
dfinn said:
depends on what your xc bike is? the past couple of times I've been there I've been on a 5" trail bike and I think that's just about perfect. DH bike is fun but a little over kill.

Xc hardtail with 80mm fork

Or weyless 67 with super t

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
sanjuro said:
Update: Trail Daze will be Saturday. We will working on the trail connector between the shuttle drop off point and the beginning of Packer Saddle. Food and DRINK will be supplied. We will probably ride down Packer as well.

Sunday will be riding from town, route tbd.
so... if they are doing the epic ride on sunday, will someone still be there doing the shuttle?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
crap, I need to know that too. They don't seem to be answering the phone at the shop but I was gonna call today for my reservation.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
probably not but I always make my reservations ahead of time just to be sure. and that way they know you are coming, sometimes they won't run a shuttle if they don't think anyone will be there. i think they usually want a minimum of 4 people too, so it's good to call ahead.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
amydalayna said:
so... if they are doing the epic ride on sunday, will someone still be there doing the shuttle?
The shop is probably closed during the week, but I guarantee the shuttle will run as long as there are people to ride on it.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Chicodudebrah - Unless you are riding up, you probably want to bring your weyless. If you do the basic shuttle run (packer saddle-butcher ranch-third,second, and first divide) there are definitely some pedaly sections and one short climb, but there are also some super fast and rocky sections. Nothing too technical or high stakes but the rocks can be surprisingly sharp. XC tires get eaten alive. We used to rock out the hardtails on those trails but we also used to get a lot of flats...

This late in the season it's not so much a question of whether there will be any room as much as whether there will be any shuttles at all. You can't count on being able to get a shuttle every hour like you can during the summer, so call ahead and find out. The usual drivers (mike, wayne, and greg) may be riding or helping out with the trail work, not driving. If you work with them and want to ride down they will usually figure out a way to get you back up the hill. They are good peoples like that.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
wayno and greg drive shuttle? Not any of the the times I've ever been there. I've been lucky enough to have metal a bunch of times though. I like his choice in musica.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
dfinn said:
wayno and greg drive shuttle? Not any of the the times I've ever been there. I've been lucky enough to have metal a bunch of times though. I like his choice in musica.
Yep, for sure, I think more in the slower parts of the season. I actually got to ride with both Wayne and Mike at the Graeagle overnighter a little while back, was good to roll with them instead of just have them drop us off.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
OGRipper said:
Yep, for sure, I think more in the slower parts of the season. I actually got to ride with both Wayne and Mike at the Graeagle overnighter a little while back, was good to roll with them instead of just have them drop us off.

You coming up?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
chicodude said:
You coming up?
Nope. Would love to but not a good weekend for it, some other stuff happening. Have a blast.

Amy, not sure what the weather is going to be like but there are great campgrounds up near Packer Saddle/Packer Lake, as well as further up the Gold Lakes Highway toward Graeagle. There are a bunch of lakes and campgrounds up there, I've stayed at the Lakes Basin Campground but there are a bunch and it's pretty hard to go wrong. Just make sure you have a ride up the hill after your last run!