Quantcast

downieville filled in like 4 seconds

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Credit card error thanks to active (thanks allot assholes) and literally 2 minutes after reg opened, FULL!!! I am so mad right now.

I blame the forest service for being so Fing lame about the size of the race

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
themontashu sucks!!!!

pedal your enduro with the 40 to the top. you can register for the xc race the morning of!!!!

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
I got shut out, too. Can't f-ing believe how quickly it filled up - I was in registering by 8:01 PDT and even without any card errors, by the time I got to check out it had already filled.

There's another thread about it here.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Nice! I got into Sport Downhill 19-34. Time to get my ass handed to me. Anyone here done it before? What should I expect etc.?
You should expect to have a great weekend and some of the best trail riding around. As for the race itself, I don't know you but if you're like most dh'ers, expect to lose way more time on the climbing and flat parts than you gain on the downhills. You'll probably be surprised at how fast some of the XC-style guys can go on the downhills, especially if they really know the course (and many do). So lots of guys can hang pretty close in the super fast stuff, then blow your doors off when they start pedaling.

As for a bike, a fairly light 5" travel rig with DH tires or a good tubeless set up is the way to go.

For training, an hour seems short but if you want to do well you need to make sure you have lot left in the tank for the last third of the course. There are flat and false-flat sections that will kill you if you're tired. To replicate the race, I suggest you start doing really hard, one-hour efforts and make sure you finish strong. Even better if you can train at elevation, in heavy dust. :biggrin:

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Thanks for all of the info man. =]

I am going to be racing it on my 30lb Tomac Snyper (5.5 inch travel bike) that seems like it will be perfect. I have been lazy and haven't converted it into ghetto tubeless yet, but I really should sooner rather than later. I have been doing the cccx race series which is basically super-d with all of the pedaling involved. I have done Downieville maybe like 10 times total so I have an idea about the climbs. I have managed to do them on big bikes (Santa Cruz VP-Free and an SWD Crazy 8) in the past, so I think on my Tomac the climbs should be MUCH better. I think I just need to start doing hour long training rides to build up the stamina to race for that long.

I am pretty pumped to do it this year. I missed out the last 2 years.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Thanks for all of the info man. =]

I am going to be racing it on my 30lb Tomac Snyper (5.5 inch travel bike) that seems like it will be perfect. I have been lazy and haven't converted it into ghetto tubeless yet, but I really should sooner rather than later. I have been doing the cccx race series which is basically super-d with all of the pedaling involved. I have done Downieville maybe like 10 times total so I have an idea about the climbs. I have managed to do them on big bikes (Santa Cruz VP-Free and an SWD Crazy 8) in the past, so I think on my Tomac the climbs should be MUCH better. I think I just need to start doing hour long training rides to build up the stamina to race for that long.

I am pretty pumped to do it this year. I missed out the last 2 years.
Good luck. Yeah your bike sounds good, just get the tires sorted. I'm a 200 pounder and I shred tires up there. I'm too lazy to deal with tubeless but have good luck with 2.35 DH tires up there.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Good luck. Yeah your bike sounds good, just get the tires sorted. I'm a 200 pounder and I shred tires up there. I'm too lazy to deal with tubeless but have good luck with 2.35 DH tires up there.
Yeah I am over 200lbs too so I am also pretty damn good at shredding tires and tubes. haha

The last few times I have been there I was running tubeless with no issues.

I think we might need to get all of the RM people who are going together for some beers. :cheers:

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
I logged in at 8 PM, started filling out the form, and made the mistake of clicking the button to sign up for an Active.com account. By the time I realized that was going to cost another $60 and got back to the checkout, it was 8:04 and all the classes were filled. Doh!

So I signed up for the all-mountain. :) ****. I think I'm about to be in a world of pain...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Yeah, I would slap on the heaviest tires you can pedal in, and start practicing pedalling. I have a Prowler MX 2.5 which I hate riding around here, but when I am in Downieville, it seems just right.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
btw, if themontashu was smart, he would have tested his CC with any other event, to be sure his Active account worked.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Josh, for those descents, you may want to run tubeless, but on a DH casing tire. Some of those rocks can mangle tubes with pinch-flats no problem. If you do run tubeless, bring some tire boots with you.

P.S. I missed you at Sea Otter man! I was looking all over for you, and never saw you!

How'd you end up doing?

asa

Monkey
May 2, 2005
For those of you who didn't get a DH spot, sign up for the XC just for fun, then stay for the band. The Saddle Tramps kick A$$!!!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
For those of you who didn't get a DH spot, sign up for the XC just for fun, then stay for the band. The Saddle Tramps kick A$$!!!
You ride most of the DH course, and I think Pauley Creek is more technical than the upper part of Packer.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
can't stop thinking about all the epic training rides im going to have to do, to make the 3 hour XC time limit fo D ville
shouldn't be too bad, the climb shouldn't take more than 2 hours and the descent should be 1 hour or less. Have you ridden the XC race route before? I've only done it once and it was tough for sure but since it's not a complete loop there is more descending than climbing by almost a thousand feet I'd imagine. I've never raced it though and maybe I will blow up with the pressure. Who knows!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
You ride most of the DH course, and I think Pauley Creek is more technical than the upper part of Packer.
more tech but less pedally which is much appreciated by that point! I LOVE that trail, don't want to jinx myself but I plan to destroy fools on that section during the XC portion. Tubeless for sure, hopefully no flats or mechanicals!

Jensen

Monkey
Apr 30, 2007
UC/SLO,ca
shouldn't be too bad, the climb shouldn't take more than 2 hours and the descent should be 1 hour or less. Have you ridden the XC race route before? I've only done it once and it was tough for sure but since it's not a complete loop there is more descending than climbing by almost a thousand feet I'd imagine. I've never raced it though and maybe I will blow up with the pressure. Who knows!

for some reason AM expert denied me, and at last ditch effort AM sport, <34 worked, so thats where ill be.

be riding my new nomad, single 34T ring, 32lbs. should be fun. never ridden downieville period, so it will eb an adventure. ill be up there to prerun for sure, and will be camping at packer saddlle, as of now.

tips, tricks etc?

are people running getto tubeless? no tubes for this race?

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I don't know the names for everything, but it doesn't matter. Scotty would kill me on a short sprinty climb, or a long, grueling climb anyday.

I'm just stoked for Downieville DH and for The Star.

:D

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
for some reason AM expert denied me, and at last ditch effort AM sport, <34 worked, so thats where ill be.

be riding my new nomad, single 34T ring, 32lbs. should be fun. never ridden downieville period, so it will eb an adventure. ill be up there to prerun for sure, and will be camping at packer saddlle, as of now.

tips, tricks etc?

are people running getto tubeless? no tubes for this race?
hmmm....tips and tricks. Nothing crazy really. I'll be running Havoc wheels with Stans and a similar bike to you. Giant ReignX with 36T ring. I think the key is just not to blow up. The AM race will cover almost 50 miles so I'm gonna try to go like 85% on the XC and maybe 90% on sunday. If you smoke your legs on the XC then your DH time will suffer because it's very pedally with a few good little climbing sections. If your legs are somewhat fresh then you can mkae up good time there. I think the best thing you can do is just to go there in the best shape you can be in.