Quantcast

Downieville Maintenance this weekend 5/20-21

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The Sierra Butte Trail Stewardship and Yuba Expeditions are sponsoring Trails Days this weekend (May 20th-21st). On Saturday we will be doing maintenance on local Downieville trails. On Sunday, we ride, the route TBD but supposedly up to Third Divide, possibly a shuttle to Packer Saddle.

For those interested, please arrive in Downieville Saturday morning at 10am. If you are going to stay overnight, prepare to camp but PM me if you need lodging.

We had a great time last maintenance weekend. There were a ton of hot kayak chicks in town, and we had a big barbeque thanks to the Stewardship. If you are going to ride in Downieville this year, please try to make it up for maintenance. It will be a blast.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I'd like to try and make it out to this. How long did you guys work until last time? I'm just wondering if I will have time to get some other things done on saturday or is it an all day event?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
dfinn said:
I'd like to try and make it out to this. How long did you guys work until last time? I'm just wondering if I will have time to get some other things done on saturday or is it an all day event?
We tell everyone to be there by 9am, so even the stragglers can make it in time. After the greetings and the sandwich making, we left around 10:30am, hiked 4 miles up from town, started digging before noon, and called it an early day by 2:30pm.

Frankly, you could be back to Tahoe by 7pm, and of course, since this is volunteer you could leave at any time (although expect a razzing). I highly advise being on time in the morning so you can leave with the group.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Heath Sherratt said:
I gotsta work sunday and my mother in law is coming up saturday for her birthday. But I'll be there in spirit with a grin on my face the whole way down.
And please, encourage anyone who does ride in Downieville to make the trip. This is a fun group of dudes, who get a lot of work done but with plenty of smiles to go around.

JLP

Chimp
Mar 26, 2003
Fremont, Ca
sanjuro said:
And please, encourage anyone who does ride in Downieville to make the trip. This is a fun group of dudes, who get a lot of work done but with plenty of smiles to go around.

Are we expected to bring tools?

calskierx

Chimp
Mar 13, 2005
Wait, packers saddle is the top right? You think the downhill is doable with some hike a bike or is this gonna turn into the donner party? or do i just have it all wrong

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
calskierx said:
Wait, packers saddle is the top right? You think the downhill is doable with some hike a bike or is this gonna turn into the donner party? or do i just have it all wrong
Aha! The myth of Downieville is that the only ride is Packer Saddle. There are some epic XC trails (most of which have been free from snow the entire winter), and last month we rode up to the top of Third Divide and then back down Second.

I do believe Packer Saddle is still snow covered and shuttles have not started yet. But I will get confirmation for everyone.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
calskierx said:
That's what I was wondering too. It makes it even more tempting to go out there and help out if there's a free shuttle to the top :) . But from what I saw on the yuba site it sounds like there's still alot of snow that needs to melt first.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I have talked to Wayne from Yuba Expeditions this morning.

1. There is still snow and apparently flooding going on up in Downieville. His conservative estimate is mid-June for the shuttles to start.

2. Trail maintenance will happen at the Forest City Loop, with riding afterwards, time permitting.

Also barbeque afterwards!

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
so will the work and riding be done on saturday? that's kind of how you made it sound but in the original post you said work on saturday, ride on sunday. just trying to figure out if we should bring a bike on saturday.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The tenative plan is to ride Saturday after trail maintenance. Sunday is free to ride as well.

EVILTWIN

Monkey
Mar 9, 2005
the loins of god
Ok, you norcal locals gotsta help us out!!! I've been here since seaotter....remodeling this guys kitchen (in Placerville).....we were supposed to go home to Boulder, CO. on Mon. Now, some juckass decided he was going to crack the granite countertop....so you guessed it, We're putting up with the spoiled kids (1 and 3) you guys gotta help. We havent been on our rides like I said since otter. Help us PLEASE!! I have a 15 pass. cargo, an M-3 and nothing to do. I saw you guys were going to dig and we're down to help. Let me know if your in for any non-local help. And get me away from these monsters!!!!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
In case any one needs up to date info, please call Yuba Expeditions 530.289.3010. They will have all the information.