Quantcast

Downieville Registration Open

El Santo

Chimp
Apr 14, 2002
the 'burbs of SF
Registration for the 2005 Downieville Classic is open. All lodging in Downieville is already booked, but there are still rooms available in Sierra City, which is 12 miles north of Downieville, and is closer to the start of both the XC and DH races. On the Sierra City page, the area code has changed from 916 to 530, but the numbers still work.

If you plan on racing, register now. The DH fills up *very* fast.

calskierx

Chimp
Mar 13, 2005
Watch out for my little cousin, he smoke's me on the dowhill, litle kid ,big talent named Tyler Marshall .

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Doss, we should hit it up, DVille is the shiznit. It takes about 4 hours to get up there there is some camping available as well.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I don't know for sure but when I went up there last year just to ride on a non-race weekend it was still hard to find a decent camp spot so I'd say come as early as possible or be prepared to sleep in your car on the side of the road!!!

El Santo

Chimp
Apr 14, 2002
the 'burbs of SF
Brad23 said:
what's trying to camp like for the classic.
How early would you have to show up to find a spot?
Downieville has about 3 permanent residents. During the weekend of the Classic this number prolly reaches 700 people. There aren't that many camping spots close to town, so the longer you wait, the longer your commute on race day.

Start looking for campsites now - don't wait. And absolutely don't show up race weekend w/o a place to crash.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
You can't reserve camping spots though so I'd say try to come a full or two day early and get there at sunup to catch a decent spot.

I want to race but I am having trouble with the $60 entry fee. It's not an unfair deal I'm just broke! :D

Backpack1

Monkey
Mar 16, 2005
GNORKAL
You can always find camping up top and there are advantages (and disadvantages ) to being up there.....you can camp right at the summit or at Diablo campground or Packer lake....it's all good. Build a fire, get drunk and abuse yourself the next day!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Backpack1 said:
You can always find camping up top and there are advantages (and disadvantages ) to being up there.....you can camp right at the summit or at Diablo campground or Packer lake....it's all good. Build a fire, get drunk and abuse yourself the next day!
Do i know you? Haha, just kidding but this is a great approach. There are lots of awesome campgrounds up near the top, and I'm pretty sure you can reserve most of them (if they're not already booked). There are also many more if you have a real 4x4 vehicle, there are some stunning places to stay up some of the OHV roads. It's really amazing up there and the lakes are great for swimming.

The only thing is that you need to make sure you have a way back up the mountain at the end of the day - designate a driver if you can. Otherwise don't miss the last shuttle!! The guys are Yuba are pretty cool about dropping you off at a camp site if it's not close to packer saddle. It's kind of a drag though because if you shuttle you need to leave early and miss out on post-ride silliness down in town...I can't friggin' wait for that weekend...