Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
First: Josh, you missed out.

Second, it was sweet.

Here's a X-post from my post on MTBR:

Downieville: Good. Snow run-off: Bad.

...but not too bad. You can cruise down the fire-road from the top of the shuttle run. It's dry for about a mile, but then you hit a lot of snow run-off. Cold, wet, and with the wind blowing by you from cruising down the hill, it gets even colder.

There's a few LARGE run-off gathering pools that'll get you soaked. *bring something to clean your glasses* After that, there stream you typically have to ride through, even in June and July, is still wet, and a little deeper than normal.

Other than that, it's spectacular. It was 70-degrees yesterday, and so pristine. Light breeze in some areas, and the rocky-technical stuff was there in full force.

Please be careful, through. There was a rider who broke his leg yesterday (his femur, I believe). I wish him the best of luck in a speedy recovery. I'm sorry that I wasn't able to reach help. When we found you, I instantaneously took off to go find help and pinch-flatted about 10 (very fast) minutes down the trail. I've never ridden so hard in my life. P.S. that was my first flat in 2 years.

Cheers.

-Mike
DS Cycling

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I am bummed I missed out on it. Yesterday I rode UC. Rode up Ucon and then back down on the DH bike.

I love Downieville. We should plan a weekend trip up there for the summer.

Thats crazy about the dude with the broken leg. Wa he alone? How far out was he?

Did you hit 3rd divide? =] Thats one of my favorite parts. Hands down.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
3rd Divide... that's after that climb across that stupid bridge, right? That is my FAVORITE part. SO fast and flowy, but still plenty techinical.

I just always forget that after the first fireroad on the way down after third divide, there's still plenty of single-track and fire-road to go. Haha...

I'd imagine that the trails will be prime in the next 2-3 weeks.

I think we're gonna' plan another day-trip up there. We leave stupid early on Saturday morning (you could crash at my place in Campbell), and then come back same day.

Do the 11am and the 3pm shuttle or something. I know this is a meager goal, but I'd like to make it from top to bottom under 1hr. 45min. After that, I'll drop by goal by 15 minutes each time. Anything under an hour is lunacy. 37 mins... d*mn Mark Weir. Arrrrgg...

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
The guy with the broken leg was right after the decent started, after that climb up after the first bridge (did that make any sense?). He was in bad shape man. That's one of the largest bones in the body!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Did two runs yesterday (after riding South Yuba on Sat and Sun). That shizz is sooo prime right now. No snow on the Butcher trail, but yeah a few banks around and some runoff.

The first runs of the year are always so sweet. Less dust, more traction = teh fast. Summer is here!!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Dude... how much did you love it?

I'm so glad I went the second weekend that they were open. It was amazing!
I love it so much I've been going for many years and although we do a bunch of different rides up there, I pretty much never get tired of the main run down butcher to third and first divide. My second run yesterday was so friggin awesome. After riding our faces off in South Yuba the two days prior, only a few of us were up for a second run yesterday. I rode most of it by myself and really found the zone, super fast, clean and smooth, just one of those rad times when I'm stoked to be alive on a bike on a kick-ass ride in a great spot. Nothing else really mattered but it was also good knowing there were good friends behind me and more waiting for us in town - along with a hot pizza, cold beers, and an even colder river.

:thumb:

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Haha... Last year I took a dunk in the river, but it was about a gizillion % humidity, and about 98 degrees that day. This weekend was a cool 70 and lovely weather, so I chose not to freeze my cajones' off.

Either way, this was my third year riding at DV, and I don't think I've ridden in better weather or better terrain.

PERFECTO.

marcm

Monkey
Jun 15, 2002
Elk Grove (sacramento)
Dville was good last weekend me and my friends did two runs on Saturday the 8am and the 2pm the trail was great soooo fast well except for the flat parts those are ok. we camped for only one night but think it was perfect. hope to get more people up there for a another trip.

marc.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Haha... Last year I took a dunk in the river, but it was about a gizillion % humidity, and about 98 degrees that day. This weekend was a cool 70 and lovely weather, so I chose not to freeze my cajones' off.

Either way, this was my third year riding at DV, and I don't think I've ridden in better weather or better terrain.

PERFECTO.
I usually dip in no matter what the temps. Last year I took a wash at 10 at night. Chilly.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
When was it EVER humid in Downieville? It always seems lung-searingly bone dry.
Yeah, I was going to say...

I rode up the XC course two days before. I helped Sarge build the misting/shower station along the way.

They don't have those kinds of things in Louisiana or Florida.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
The day that we went there last year just about killed me. It was really strange. Not Florida humidity or anything, but still VERY humid for California.