Quantcast

Downsides to the fox40 anyone?

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
360 said:
dont know if this has been mentioned(didnt read the whole thread as it was rather derailled) but on my first serious ride of my fork today i took some good size air (maybe 12 of hieght(guess)), landing into braking bumps and my spring leg slipped in the crowns about half an inch,the bolts were torqued up right, it was a hard landing but not something i'd expect to happen.
how does one leg move without the other? i asume you botomed out, so how does one leg move up, while the other leg does not? if the fork is botomed they have to both move...

you sure they were even to start with?

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
360 said:
dont know if this has been mentioned(didnt read the whole thread as it was rather derailled) but on my first serious ride of my fork today i took some good size air (maybe 12 of hieght(guess)), landing into braking bumps and my spring leg slipped in the crowns about half an inch,the bolts were torqued up right, it was a hard landing but not something i'd expect to happen.
how does one leg move without the other? i assume you botomed out, so how does one leg move up, while the other leg does not? if the fork is bottomed they have to both move, no?... or else you bolts were really really loose, on both crowns.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
davetrump said:
how does one leg move without the other? i assume you botomed out, so how does one leg move up, while the other leg does not? if the fork is bottomed they have to both move, no?... or else you bolts were really really loose, on both crowns.

There is only a spring in one leg. If you bottomed the fork, there would only be spring force on the spring side.

I don't think you bolts were tight enough.

nickaziz

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
Transcend said:
And the ones that came stock on our 223s sounded like clogged toilets. Absolute scrap. Our 5ths were amazing last year, the manitou was junk. Funny how 2 nearly identical shocks can be miles apart in feel.
I thought the manitous would be as good as 5ths but less seal drag. I guess not... the 5th's i've ridden still seem way better.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Transcend said:
except they are the proper springweight. 3 ti springs would have jacked retail up through the roof!
Yeah, it's funny how some people are ragging on fox for "only" supplying one ti spring with the fork. Personally I'd rather have it come with three steel springs and let people buy a ti spring aftermarket if they want, that would have kept the cost down and been a more fair way of marketing the weight. Anyway at least they give you all three so you can figure out the correct spring weight, most other manufacturers make you buy the extras.

ridecruz888

Chimp
Feb 8, 2005
id wait til they've been out a while longer, the most people have had them is like 6 months, there shouldnt be any problems...yet

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Transcend said:
For a rider of a similiar style, of the same weight. I was about as close as I'd get without buying one for myself (which won't be happening).

Personally, i don't like how they feel. Period. I am not alone in this regard.
uhhh, sorry, you're not allowed to have an opinion. :nope: it's in the FAQ that Avalanche products are the best ever produced, and ever will be produced. if you don't agree, then you are a) stupid, b) riding a shock that's not set up for you.

:cool:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
dante said:
uhhh, sorry, you're not allowed to have an opinion. :nope: it's in the FAQ that Avalanche products are the best ever produced, and ever will be produced. if you don't agree, then you are a) stupid, b) riding a shock that's not set up for you.

bwahaha. :)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
OGRipper said:
Yeah, it's funny how some people are ragging on fox for "only" supplying one ti spring with the fork. Personally I'd rather have it come with three steel springs and let people buy a ti spring aftermarket if they want, that would have kept the cost down and been a more fair way of marketing the weight. Anyway at least they give you all three so you can figure out the correct spring weight, most other manufacturers make you buy the extras.
exactly! Altho the medium is great for the widest section of their target market, so that makes sense.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
dante said:

That is correct indeed :)

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
why cant they have a choise of a few ti springs and just ship what the rider wants? anyways at least they will have in the aftermarket soon... :thumb:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
dhkid said:
why cant they have a choise of a few ti springs and just ship what the rider wants? anyways at least they will have in the aftermarket soon... :thumb:
Are you actually friggin serious?

They produce many MANY forks. Having users select the spring, and then installing it would be absurd. You don't want to encourage users to open forks as soon as they buy them.

You also dont want to produce diff weights as this will affect price. They needed to drive the price down. This is all pretty common sense.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
but come on, all the other forks on the market have ti springs. . . . if i don't get one for my fox fork it will be too havy from the extra 1/8 pound and i won't be able to win the world cup :nopity:

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
most ppl open up the fork as soon as they get it to change the spring in it or get the travel to 8inches

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
OGRipper said:
I've agreed with you so far, but if they subscribed to this notion they would not give you all three springs.
Thats a good point I somehow obviously missed. :D

They do however ship it with the most common spring in it. The most common spring is ti as it will fit the most common setups.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Transcend said:
Thats a good point I somehow obviously missed. :D

They do however ship it with the most common spring in it. The most common spring is ti as it will fit the most common setups.
Not if your above 180lbs, you're stuck with steel. Can they make a firm Ti spring or would the diameter be too big for the stanchion. It would be nice if Fox would do a Ti spring trade-in for a firmer spring. (if it fit) Or a custom order.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
It does seem a little silly to ship every fork with 2 springs that you will never use. Maybe they should just sell the fork without a spring and make you buy it seperatly. ala boxxers and thier top crowns.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i thought that is ships with 7inches? it will be nice if they would allow for trade ins for different spring rates.