Quantcast

Downsides to the fox40 anyone?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Beaverbiker, the rocks move out of your way? Why do you need suspension at all?

Do the rocks move back onto the trail after you ride by?

Sounds like parting the ocean or something. Are you the child of Moses? :confused: :confused:

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I can't believe there has been this much discussion over this. It sticks out a little. So what? think about how close that is to the bike and how high up. It would take quite a coincidence to get something to really smack while riding. For the amount it sticks out, it's no different than running an XC tire vs. a large volume DH tire or a 24" vs. a 26" front wheel.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
nixhexss said:
You guys need to remember like Fraser said, these forks were tested for over a year by the top pros on the planet. None of them ripped one off that we know of. And they've been out to us, the public, for a month or so now and no stories of any problems yet. I'm definitely skeptical about the placement but I think we'll be alright.

I'm sure I'll rip mine off tomorrow now.....
It's not fair to say there are no negative issues with the 40 because the top Pro's have been using them for a year. It needs to be determined by the weekend warrior, most TOP pros don't work on their bikes, and forks are most likley serviced after each race. Not the case for the everyday Joe, who maybe changes the oil once a year or will only look into it when it starts leaking or feeling like crap.

JRogers said:
I can't believe there has been this much discussion over this. It sticks out a little. So what? think about how close that is to the bike and how high up. It would take quite a coincidence to get something to really smack while riding. For the amount it sticks out, it's no different than running an XC tire vs. a large volume DH tire or a 24" vs. a 26" front wheel.
It's actually a large black alu. cap that you see - the compression knobs are blue-colored and underneath that cap.

It's a pretty thick cap w/ large threads that thread into the bottom of the fork - so the compression knobs are well protected. I think it'll be fine (just like I haven't had an issue w/ the remote reservoir placement yet).

We'll see how things work out, but so far, the fork has performed well. I'm sure you'll be seeing more reports once we get more time on them.

J

J5ive

Jarad Graves snapped a lower crown on a proyto here in Australia hitting a tree, they quickly revamped the design (the original only had a single pinch bolt). Thats what its all about right there.

Mines riding ****ing awsome, Its like cheating over the 888. I have to change the spring to firm though, but I'm scared of those top caps. What sockets are you guys using? All of mine are multi point style (not 6) and I think they might chew these things up. I also cranked the high and low speed.

As for the worries about the material, I planned to do a comparrison with the 888, weight each individual part, but sold my 888 before I had a chance. Might borrow a mates and do it when I get a chance though..

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
J5ive said:
What sockets are you guys using? All of mine are multi point style (not 6) and I think they might chew these things up.

I bought a 6 point (32mm I think) and ground a bit off the front so there isn't a bevel on the inside. This gives more contact area and less chance of marring the topcap. Cheap sockets can be had for a couple of bucks.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
Jeremy R said:
Yep, sections of Snowshoe, Yardsale, Diablo, a couple of our local shuttles,
rocks are pretty much everywhere.
And as far as I know, pretty much all forks are gonna pop if you hit one hard enough. Chris put a hole in a boxxer lower this weekend, that was the size of a quarter, and a half inch deep. Oil shot out like Jed Clampett hit it with his rifle.
Rocks are bad, rocks are good.
Some guy ran into me at Killington and same thing happend...

After that he called it a "lefty"
:D

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Brian HCM#1 said:
It's not fair to say there are no negative issues with the 40 because the top Pro's have been using them for a year. It needs to be determined by the weekend warrior, most TOP pros don't work on their bikes, and forks are most likley serviced after each race. Not the case for the everyday Joe, who maybe changes the oil once a year or will only look into it when it starts leaking or feeling like crap.
Only we are discussing the dangly bit on the bottom, so your point is moot. If anyone will hit that thing hard enough to break it, it is someone like jared graves, not the weekend warrior.

Seal life, bushing life etc has to do with joe schmo who doesn't bother to take care of his stuff.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
My buddy has one and ive had a little time on it.

1. freakin linear as a mofo
2. ti spring is for a welter weight
3. not progressive at all
4. he likes my avy better this his $1600 non-inverted rc2

1. stiff
2. uses an xc disc brake adapter
3. Light until you take out the ti spring

4 negatives and 3 positives that gives it a :stosh:
It def is a nice beefy fork but why the hell would you give a spring thats for someone that weighs 120lbs? come on now the avg weight in america is just shy of 200. if it came with the right ti spring in it for most and still weighed under 7 lbs then it would be the best fork out there. But when you put in the steel spring its 7.4lbs almost the same as my old 888r.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Transcend said:
Only we are discussing the dangly bit on the bottom, so your point is moot. If anyone will hit that thing hard enough to break it, it is someone like jared graves, not the weekend warrior.

Seal life, bushing life etc has to do with joe schmo who doesn't bother to take care of his stuff.
I'm glad to hear that if your not a pro level rider, it's never going to break. For some reason I'll disagree with you, it will be mostly on what the riding conditions are. I have a feeling N* will claim a few, oh and probably weekend warriors. Then again I'm sure you'll have your excuss all ready for that anyways.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Brian HCM#1 said:
I'm glad to hear that if your not a pro level rider, it's never going to break. For some reason I'll disagree with you, it will be mostly on what the riding conditions are. I have a feeling N* will claim a few, oh and probably weekend warriors. Then again I'm sure you'll have your excuss all ready for that anyways.
Wow, you are really becoming a tool (and that doesn't even include the hope spam).

The point was that pro level riders are MUCH more apt to break off the adjuster cover (if it ever happens) then are the random guy. They HAVE been tested, and it isn't a big deal like some people would like you to believe.

I never once said the fork would never blow a seal, destroy a bushing or just fail. I was very specific. I also never once said that their were no negative sides to the fork. So please, unless you have something constructive to say, keep your insults to yourself.

J

J5ive

I think you left out a few positives.
- low ride height
- high quality machined parts
- no plastic anything
- good turning circle
- buttery smooth
- well supported/backed here in australia :thumb:

snowskilz said:
My buddy has one and ive had a little time on it.

1. freakin linear as a mofo
2. ti spring is for a welter weight
3. not progressive at all
4. he likes my avy better this his $1600 non-inverted rc2

1. stiff
2. uses an xc disc brake adapter
3. Light until you take out the ti spring

4 negatives and 3 positives that gives it a :stosh:

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
The Graves+Tree incident... if it were a bike with a lesser headtube area, the headtube would've gone, so to be fair, at the speed he hit the tree at (50+km/h I was told), not much would've survived.
But the fact that Fox changed the crown a bit is good, regardless of the cause, as it shows they're willing to put in work if they see the need to.

BadFastard

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
Belgium
trouble with the fox is ...the new Manitou DH.

I had the chance to feel her up last weekend. Can't say a lot but it certainly felt lighter AND smoother than the fox. And that's big news guys: SPV efficiency with TPC+ feel. What more can you desire?
No bobbing, no brake dive, no spikes, no small bump laziness, no bottom out... Just smooth operation. They're definitely onto something with this one.
Downside: even more ugly than the Fox......
I'm still very happy with my dorado TPC+, Fox may be better, but the difference is not big enough to switch.

crash test

Chimp
Jan 26, 2005
Nepaug, CT
Transcend said:
Wow, you are really becoming a tool (and that doesn't even include the hope spam).

The point was that pro level riders are MUCH more apt to break off the adjuster cover (if it ever happens) then are the random guy. They HAVE been tested, and it isn't a big deal like some people would like you to believe.

I never once said the fork would never blow a seal, destroy a bushing or just fail. I was very specific. I also never once said that their were no negative sides to the fork. So please, unless you have something constructive to say, keep your insults to yourself.
I think a good point to make is that us mortal riders crash more than a pro. I am curious how well it will handle nasty crashes. Part of the reason i have such a beefy fork is for this exact reason, durability...

Jarad Graves had a nasty crash and look what happened. Thats not a good sign in my book. Would it have happened with an 888, Dorado, Avy?? who knows.. Who's an engineer, has alot of money and wants to do some stress analysis tests on different forks??

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
J5ive said:
I think you left out a few positives.
- low ride height(avy has that too)
- high quality machined parts(avy has that too)
- no plastic anything(avy is very close, 2 plastic parts if i remember)
- good turning circle(same there)
- buttery smooth(avy feels much better)
- well supported/backed here in australia(fox cs sux DD) :stosh:
Avalance is the same price a little heavier, inverted, Hand made in America, Custom valved, MX shop tuneable and serviceable.

The rc2 you cant even touch without being a fox certified mechanic or it voids the warranty. So every lil country bumpkin shop cant touch this fork or else warranty is voided. BS!

The most annoying thing is that the rc2 comes set in 7 inch travel mode. Why buy an 8 inch fork thats preset lower??? GHEY!

crash test

Chimp
Jan 26, 2005
Nepaug, CT
Rik said:
The Graves+Tree incident... if it were a bike with a lesser headtube area, the headtube would've gone, so to be fair, at the speed he hit the tree at (50+km/h I was told), not much would've survived.
But the fact that Fox changed the crown a bit is good, regardless of the cause, as it shows they're willing to put in work if they see the need to.
Just saw this post after my previous post. That partially answers my questions. Now we just need some stress tests, or more crash tests.

crash test

Chimp
Jan 26, 2005
Nepaug, CT
snowskilz said:
Avalance is the same price a little heavier, inverted, Hand made in America, Custom valved, MX shop tuneable and serviceable.

The rc2 you cant even touch without being a fox certified mechanic or it voids the warranty. So every lil country bumpkin shop cant touch this fork or else warranty is voided. BS!

The most annoying thing is that the rc2 comes set in 7 inch travel mode. Why buy an 8 inch fork thats preset lower??? GHEY!
I don't htink the Avalanche is a fair comparison like you state. Compare its performance but not its stats. It is much heavier out of the box than the Fox out of the box. Even if you have the Avy DHF ti you still have 3+ lbs on the Fox.

Don't get me wrong though i ride an Avy DHF and i love it... But it is alot heavier and burlier.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
BadFastard said:
trouble with the fox is ...the new Manitou DH.

I had the chance to feel her up last weekend. Can't say a lot but it certainly felt lighter AND smoother than the fox. And that's big news guys: SPV efficiency with TPC+ feel. What more can you desire?
No bobbing, no brake dive, no spikes, no small bump laziness, no bottom out... Just smooth operation. They're definitely onto something with this one.
Downside: even more ugly than the Fox......
I'm still very happy with my dorado TPC+, Fox may be better, but the difference is not big enough to switch.
Dammit I knew I shoulda come to BWB again last weekend.
But no, instead of a really badass DH track which is prolly the most gnar in Europe I had to go to Willingen because I was to lazy to drive 3 hours longer.
Watcha up to next? I got a 4x race this weekend in Bergschenhoek but next week Im thinking Namur or maybee Chaudfontaine...

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Transcend said:

Maybe I'm less prone to being a bandwagon (best new part of the week) hero like you, I was also refering to the cover/compression knob. However I forgot you know more than anyone else in the bike industry. Give the fork until October after the avarage person is done riding it , then make judgement. Samething a the DHX lets give it one good season, so far it feels like a nice shock, but will it blow like the RC's? Time will tell. And I'm also sure there are people out there that can ride up at pro level, but have zero intrest in racing and just ride for the love of the sport, I guess they can't break it either cause they're not "pro":rolleyes: Sorry dude I try to look at the realistic picture, not through the "best glasses" rose colored Oakleys.:rolleyes:

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
i think i am actually going to take the time and tune this fork....

my past dorado, boxxer and shiver never got much attention after i installed them. i figured if it goes up and down, and turns the bike it must work! :o:

i just cant wait to get mine :heart:

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
crash test said:
I don't htink the Avalanche is a fair comparison like you state. Compare its performance but not its stats. It is much heavier out of the box than the Fox out of the box. Even if you have the Avy DHF ti you still have 3+ lbs on the Fox.

Don't get me wrong though i ride an Avy DHF and i love it... But it is alot heavier and burlier.
What crack you smokin kid? my avy dhf ti weighs in at 8.7 lbs. that is a lb and a half heavier then the fox 40 with a steel spring

They are the same price and that is what makes them the best to compare. If you can pay 1600 for either one what is the benefit? well ive posted what i think the benefits are.

Will i ever own a 40? hell no! reason why? because fox cs sucks and when something of theirs breaks they dont fix it. If a company doesnt honor their own warranty then they arent worth doing business with. Ive broken many a part, either being my fault or a faulty product. If its faulty then their should be no questions asked. fixed and done. Not fox tho. I can go on and on about warranty issues ive had and how RS is pimp and FOX SHUX. but anyways. go buy an avy or a shiver and be super happy

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Transcend said:

Although I agree this isn't as big a deal as some think, I don't agree that pros are more likely to snap off those adjusters or the cover. Last I heard pros are better riders, more able to finesse over or around rocks and other obstacles that might slow them down. Plus pros are more likely to get new equipment during the season (or at least every year), so the chances of multiple hits over time are less for a pro than they are for a weekend warrior. The average hack is more likely to smash into rocks and hang onto their fork for a longer time, meaning more abuse over the long term.

Use derailleurs as an example: Who is more likely to bash a derailleur, a pro or your average rider who is just getting the hang of serious riding?

But I dunno, maybe I'm just a tool for having an opinion. :rolleyes:

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
buildyourown said:
I bought a 6 point (32mm I think) and ground a bit off the front so there isn't a bevel on the inside. This gives more contact area and less chance of marring the topcap. Cheap sockets can be had for a couple of bucks.
I didnt have a socket, but used a 32mm headset wrench. The thickness of the flat was the same as the thickness of the wrench. I was VERY careful and it worked fine.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
snowskilz said:
It def is a nice beefy fork but why the hell would you give a spring thats for someone that weighs 120lbs? come on now the avg weight in america is just shy of 200. if it came with the right ti spring in it for most and still weighed under 7 lbs then it would be the best fork out there. But when you put in the steel spring its 7.4lbs almost the same as my old 888r.
No one ever specs the forks for the meat of the market. They drop the spring weight down enough for the lighter weight claim and then make most people have to upgrade springs and add oil. Ive owned many a Marz fork in the past and never did one come with the proper oil height (oil = weight on a scale out of the box), and i always had to up to the heavy springs. At least fox is including 3 springs with every fork...

crash test

Chimp
Jan 26, 2005
Nepaug, CT
snowskilz said:
What crack you smokin kid? my avy dhf ti weighs in at 8.7 lbs. that is a lb and a half heavier then the fox 40 with a steel spring

They are the same price and that is what makes them the best to compare. If you can pay 1600 for either one what is the benefit? well ive posted what i think the benefits are.

Will i ever own a 40? hell no! reason why? because fox cs sucks and when something of theirs breaks they dont fix it. If a company doesnt honor their own warranty then they arent worth doing business with. Ive broken many a part, either being my fault or a faulty product. If its faulty then their should be no questions asked. fixed and done. Not fox tho. I can go on and on about warranty issues ive had and how RS is pimp and FOX SHUX. but anyways. go buy an avy or a shiver and be super happy
No crack smoking going on over hear. I was under the impression that the DHF ti was about 9.5lbs with oil in it. I know Avy claims it is lighter. IF you actually weighed your fork than my point isn't as strong.. But the weight difference is more substantial with the Fox TI spring version.

Either way the Fox looks to be a good fork and i look forward to future feedback on it..

No reason to get all worked up. It sounds like one to many peple have slammed on your Avy.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
snowskilz said:
Uhhhhhhhh, you're comparing the ti spring in the Avy with the steel spring in the Fox? Stock vs Stock you've got a 2lb weight penalty for the Avy... Whether that's worth it to you to have Avy damping and an inverted fork is up to you, but at least compare stock to stock.

Although must be said, I'm a welterweight (160lbs) so I'm fine with the stock springs. :oink:

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Kevin said:
Dammit I knew I shoulda come to BWB again last weekend.
But no, instead of a really badass DH track which is prolly the most gnar in Europe I had to go to Willingen because I was to lazy to drive 3 hours longer.
Watcha up to next? I got a 4x race this weekend in Bergschenhoek but next week Im thinking Namur or maybee Chaudfontaine...
how is willingen ?? going to hit the WC there this year ???? i ve hit winterberg loads of times but never willingen... was it wet ??? do ya happen to know if winterberg is open yet...

and yes, i agree BWB is defnately one of the most G N A R courses in europe... in my experience anyway... can t wait to hit morzine again in july :thumb:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Brian HCM#1 said:
Maybe I'm less prone to being a bandwagon (best new part of the week) hero like you,
BWAHAHA - this coming from the avalanche/hope bandwagon driver himself. :thumb: Pot call the kettle black much?

As a side note, I have been waiting for this fork since I worked for fox 3 years ago and the dampers were in the prototype stage.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
partsbara said:
how is willingen ?? going to hit the WC there this year ???? i ve hit winterberg loads of times but never willingen... was it wet ??? do ya happen to know if winterberg is open yet...

and yes, i agree BWB is defnately one of the most G N A R courses in europe... in my experience anyway... can t wait to hit morzine again in july :thumb:
Hm how is Willingen...
Well to be honest, its crap.
Its a really smooth freeride track with lots of berms and table's, a couple of step downs and some northshore drops. Its kinda like the freeX at Winterberg but much longer and more versatile.
BUT, the lift sucks megaballs, I think its even slower then my grandma.
Ill definitly be at the WC in Willingen in June, I think we got a hotel or something there. I was kinda surprised to see that they havent even begun building the new DH and the new 4X track at Willingen with only like 2 months to go...
Winterberg will prolly open the frst of may.
The opening of BWB 2 weeks ago was awsome, track was in perfect condition.
You really missed a sweet weekend of riding. Crashed the gap and the drop really hard and I was lucky to walk away in one piece but HOTDAM I had fun :sneaky:

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
good stuff... the gap before just before the left hand corner ??? yeah that section is pretty cool... took me a while to build up the nerve to hit that one...

we had a good ride out at burg frank... locals made the jumps even bigger... not that then needed to... the biggest one must now be 30 + foot... about a 7' tall take off, sick... consequences of coming up short are bad... very bad...

i think a few of us are lookin at BWB on the 17th

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Brian HCM#1 said:
Maybe I'm less prone to being a bandwagon (best new part of the week)
Brian, even I had to laugh out loud at this line... :rolleyes: Not that you are a bandwagon person but you definitely are in the "best new part of the week crew".

At first I got a chuckle out of this thread now I read it in disbelief. Its amazing all the e-arguments going on over a fork that most of us haven't spent time on. Time will tell how good or bad this fork really is.

Anyways, back to the normally scheduled program.