Quantcast

Downtube to STI Conversion

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I have a mid 80's Miyata 310 that I have converted to SS and now I'm going back to gears because of a deal I got on a 7spd 105 group. The frame does not have normal DT braze ons for the downtube shifters. Instead of the braze-ons on the sides of the DT there's a "nub" (for lack of a better term) on the top side of the DT that the shifter assembly mounts to.

I was wondering if I found a DT shifter set that was clamp on...could I remove the DT shifters and then mount the STI barrel adjusters to the clamp?

I guess my other option is to get a Suntour cable stop clamp that I have seen on ebay along with inline cable adjusters...

Any ideas or suggestions?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, I thought a bit about this, and I looked the great supplier, Quality, and they only have 2 cheapo clamp-on downtube shifters, and I am afraid the shifters will not be braze-on compatible.

If you look around, you can find older clamp-on shifter mounts which will fit dt shifters...

splat

Nam I am
I have a mid 80's Miyata 310 that I have converted to SS and now I'm going back to gears because of a deal I got on a 7spd 105 group. The frame does not have normal DT braze ons for the downtube shifters. Instead of the braze-ons on the sides of the DT there's a "nub" (for lack of a better term) on the top side of the DT that the shifter assembly mounts to.

I was wondering if I found a DT shifter set that was clamp on...could I remove the DT shifters and then mount the STI barrel adjusters to the clamp?

I guess my other option is to get a Suntour cable stop clamp that I have seen on ebay along with inline cable adjusters...

Any ideas or suggestions?
ahh that is the old Suntour Tripple adjuster stub! Suntour mar a Contration that when you shifter the rear derailer it actually moved the front a little too, to keep the chain from rubbing on the front derailer . I used to have one , I'll look for it , you might be ableto mouht the STI barrels on that .

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Hmm...I guess that might be another option. I think I'm going to go ahead and get that suntour cable stop with the inline barrel adjusters. Will probably be the cleanest looking install that I could do.