Quantcast

Downwillers request to manufacturers....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You're right on point as usual Chris. You better step back and stop making so much sense!

Here's a shot of my workstation. Liquid cooling, multi processors, arrayed drives and loads of RAM. It eats nonlinear FEA for breakfast.
Dave,

duct taping a Ti-86 inside your case does not count as multiple processors :busted:

Sincerely,
Reality

j/k... i'm curious to know the specs of what you're running (specifically what level of RAID you are using). ps keep up the good work.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Simple conversion kits that will change shock i2i and stroke so we don't have to sell your lovely suspension equipment when we want to change bikes.

Mr Ridiculous

Margarita my slippers
Apr 21, 2006
Morgantown, WV
I think that you are completely underestimating the cost of building an LG1 and completely overestimating the cost of building a derailleur or set of cranks. The LG1 molds cost more than crank molds by a good deal. The LG1 materials are expensive, and the entire product is built right here in the USA. We mill run all of our own metals for backplates to meet our quality standards. We use our own proprietary thermoplastic blends for sliders and superchargers. We machine most of, and assemble all of our products in house, in the USA. Also, I'd guess that there are on the order of 20-50X more units of the products that you mentioned built than LG1s every year (depending on the product). Of course, the old tradeoff applies. Strength, Cost, and Weight, pick two. I promise you that your options are about to increase.
I have to say, this is about the hundredth time I've seen DW have to explain manufacturing procedure on here. I do not know you personally, but you have more patience than I would ever have. Also, you make some nifty stuff. Kudos sir, kudos.

Oct 29, 2007
13. Plastic MOTO style tire levers for DH tires. The metal scratch the rim and create more pinched tubes during instal in my opinion. The small blue PARK ones are great.......but to small.
Check out Soma Steel-Core levers, they are a plate of steel encased in durable plastic...doesn't scratch rims, and plenty of leverage and (unlike Park) strength.

Racerx7734

Monkey
Mar 4, 2002
Hostile Sausage
Check out Soma Steel-Core levers, they are a plate of steel encased in durable plastic...doesn't scratch rims, and plenty of leverage and (unlike Park) strength.
Thats sounds like the ticket........thanks.

I actually like this thread......I think it's pretty informative, sometimes bikes geeks like me think we know it all or need something we think doesn't exist......and some other cog slave (no offense) knows where to find it......sweet.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
jeez you guys really have such hard problems getting tires off? I have a very quick, easy solution for you: its called a Sawz-All.

If it can butcher a deer in the maintenance shed of my college by one of the supervisors of facilities management, it can damn well get any tire off any rim.

mfzbike

Monkey
Apr 10, 2004
Precious painville
A HARDTAIL frame specifically designed for downhill ripping.(Banshee Morphine is the closest i guess)

They could improve the Morphine by:
1)-- Slacker HA to 66* with a 5" fork probably would be better.
2)-- 1/2 pound lighter
3)--Compliant steel frame design.
4)--$100 less expensive!
http://www.bansheebikes.com/bikes/morphine.html

Yet another classic atomicfireball post......endless entertainment

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
I promise you that your options are about to increase.
Thanks for taking the time to answer Dave!

I'm loving the performance of the DRS on my dh bike and i really want to dump the boxguide that is on my hardtail....

Just that i can't afford a LG-1 so far..... and i really like the product.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
jeez you guys really have such hard problems getting tires off? I have a very quick, easy solution for you: its called a Sawz-All.

If it can butcher a deer in the maintenance shed of my college by one of the supervisors of facilities management, it can damn well get any tire off any rim.
I've found that a sawzall can be detrimental to the tires ability to hold air under pressure, when used for aiding installation.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Hmmmm, must look harder. I haven't been able to find one yet.

http://www.eastonbike.com/PRODUCTS/BARS/08/bar_rise_ml_dh_'08.html
Uh, how low do you want it? I have them,and they are in my opinion, they are neither hi nor mid rise-well maybe mid but I would consider them to be lo-rise bars. The ones on that website look twice as high as mine. Mine are a couple years old so....maybe they have changed? I had some of the recent ones in The Hub and they looked low also. I don't know what to say, they're not flat bars but they are pretty low for a bar, they are similar to the Vone bars from sunline. I think those are pretty low also.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I'd like to see the industry shift some of its marketing dollars towards training new riders. It could work as a "buy this sweet bike, get a sweet class so you know how to ride it" deal or just supporting camps and training courses in more areas kind of like a demo day with some good hands on instruction.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
So... I've seen this thread floating up and down the DH forum for a few days and after skimming through the posts, I could almost hear craniums exploding and blood pouring out of ears within the industry...

...then I cam across the rebuttal on LitterMag.

:biggrin:

I guess as a consumer its easy to forget what goes into the design/research/tooling/production/marketing/selling/distribution of DH bikes and their parts because the process is transparent when things are running smoothly. Sardonic humor aside, (totally justified) there is a lot of insight in that Litter article as to what it means and what it takes to be on the other end of the equation so to speak. I thank God that we aren't still riding the same bikes with the same type of development we had 5 years ago, let alone 10.

But HEY I'll play along with this thread:

Could you guys make a gearbox bike with a transmission that doubles as a butter churn? ...also - could you make it so that each year the gearbox is upgraded to make different things? Like for example the second year of production it could make Banana Daquaris, then ice cream, then the year after that it's a kielbasa machine...? Could you make it from pure Titanium and Magnesium and sell it for $99.95?

:biggrin:

slothy

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
Ireland
marzocchi, release better tuning manuals, geared to the actuall model of your fork, also maybe upload some video guides on how to tune your fork. It wouldn't take that long to do.

This will help mongos like me tune my forks, also it will prevent mongos like me setting up my sh*t wrong and not using it as its intended....
Im not picking on marzocchi here I only bought one of their forks, so I dont know about fox or rock shox.

vtminuteman

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Sharon VT
Quote:

"- Please make up your mind and stick to it. Don't ask for 10+" hucking bikes one year and 7" travel DH race bikes the next. It takes long enough to develop a product, and then for it to not sell b/c the market has moved on to something else is a waste of resources.

- Please ride bikes appropriate to your skill/competition level. Sam Hill runs a 48deg headtube angle and a 6" bb height. You're not Sam Hill. If you want to ride that level of product anyway, don't complain about the spec, HA or BB height. It's like complaining that your F1 replica doesn't have cupholders."

Its your own fault that the dh bikes you produce don't fit the needs of every rider year to year. Most bike companies don't offer adjustable geometry/travel on there dh bikes. All it takes is extra holes to make adjustable head angle, bb height and travel. Add some more holes, make the headtube and dropouts separate pieces, then you have adjustable top tube length, and chainstay length. Bb height and headangle can be separated from each other too. Put an adjustable rear shock on it and the rider can change every important aspect of the frame to their liking. Not to mention one bike would fit all, talk about cost of manufacture savings.

Most riders and manufacturers need to realize that a simple, durable, and adjustable bike is more important than cost vs. weight.

Most riders and manufactures think a more complex, less adjustable, lighter weight, higher priced bike is the future.

[Tha]Shovla

Monkey
Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow
I think some of the price frustration comming from customers comes from a missunderstanding when one gets into the sport innitially. We are not the main stream here people. and we never will be. Our gear is specialized, our suspension is specialized and our understanding as to the level of commitment it takes both finaicially and mentally should be more specialized as well. Aside from that statement i think some companies are making ver good value bikes, most of them single crown 7 or 6 inch bikes, Norco makes some of the most affordably priced freeride bikes around IMO, just to name one. dont expect a Santa Cruz V10 to come cheep. just like dont expect the Prorche 911 to come cheep either. These bikes and their parts are produced like the cars from the LeMans circut. The Companies produce them and the parts to get feedback from the small percentage of those who ride that level of bikes and race just below that level of pro so that they can support and produce those bikes better for the pros. WE are meerly lucky to be able to buy that model. If you want to have fun buy a Norco 6 or a Norco shore model and have fun for 3K and then keep it for a couple of years and it will pay for its self. If you want a Sunday or a Demo or a V10 understand that you are buying something not really made for YOU but for someone better than you, you are just lucky to buy it and have the ability to grow into that bike. And if your are going to drop 6K for a bike maybee you should ride it for more than 1 season before you sell it for next years bike. 5K for a bike that lasts you 4 seasons or more isnt too bad. and a fork upgrade or shock upgrade after 4 seasons will have you riding a new bike.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
©2001;2828644 said:
GOOD NEWS! the industry hears you and has responded!

http://littermag.com/2008/news/newsarticle.php?newsID=1087
Stop trying to warranty your used up, clapped out crap. Warranties cover "manufacturing defects", and it's not a defect when you 50/50 a double and trash your frame/wheel/shock/etc. We don't care that you've only had it for 2 months, or that the your girlfriend mainly rode it, or that you forgot to take it off the roof of your car before driving into your garage. It's NOT WARRANTY. Slam into a lightpost in a parking lot on a snowy evening while doing donuts, and try to warranty your "but I just bought it 2 months ago" GTI.

HAHAHAHA, so true, good job anonymous awesome people AKA - AAS

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
1: Get rid of the white fad.
2: Set an industry wide standard for dropout sizing.
3:Non axle mounted deraillieurs.
4:Offer a wider selection of shorter travel dh bikes, not everyone needs a long travel dh bike.
5: UST compatible Kendas that are wider than 26x2.1.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
This list has gotten long. I confess I haven't read thru the entire thread.

Make the Socom Frame have a 65-64 degree HA. :lighten:

& Yeti to make a second DH Frame. Bring back the DH9!

While I have a 303, I loved my DH9 and miss it alot!

anarchyUK

Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Boulder CO
1. Bring back the Mobster in 2.35, 2.5 and 2.7 with 3C dual ply.
2. More Dual Ply (DH) tires in smaller sizes, 2.25, 2.35
3. The Bike/Bike clothing industry to realize that there are ALOT of us who weigh in at 220 or more.
4. Prices to come down on EVERYTHING in the bike biz.....I could get a new Yamaha or 2 for what I have into my bike(s).
5. Racers should be forced to move up to the next class after a certain amount of wins in the lower class........so we dont have the HUGE sandbagging like we do at Sea otter and most of the other events. (see MotoX)
6. WTB Devo in white.
7. CB 50/50's with REAL pins so your feet dont slide off.
8. The white Vans flats on the cover of last months Decline........need to be for sale...in my size.
9. More Ti spring sizes for riders over 220
10. A Marzocchi 888 with Air in one leg and Coil in the other, best of both worlds. (see 07 66 RC2X as an example, NOT exact, I know)
11. The simplicity of the 2001 Monster T without the weight gain, just Rebound, Compression, Oil, Coils................no 90 page book to read to set your fork.
12. More 9" bikes.........why not?
13. Plastic MOTO style tire levers for DH tires. The metal scratch the rim and create more pinched tubes during instal in my opinion. The small blue PARK ones are great.......but to small.

Some of this stuff may be out already and I may just be an ASS in Reno........ok I'm an ass anyway.....but so?
im sorry, but this could be one of the best posts ever, not only do u want parts, ect. for "bigger" riders but u want them lighter? idk how tall you are, maybe your very fit, i just thought it was funny... i think working out a little might save more weight then a ti spring, i dono

Racerx7734

Monkey
Mar 4, 2002
Hostile Sausage
im sorry, but this could be one of the best posts ever, not only do u want parts, ect. for "bigger" riders but u want them lighter? idk how tall you are, maybe your very fit, i just thought it was funny... i think working out a little might save more weight then a ti spring, i dono

Ouch....that hurts........I'm not fat....I dont think the request is out of line..........I like the feel of a Ti spring over a steel one and would like to be able to run the correct spring for my weight.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
135xwhatever dishless rear 5 speeds hubs !
its been made:shocked: its called the hope pro2 ss!

Baby Jesus is now crying. Good job Alex.

This is what you really want.

14mm SS freecoaster hubs.... STANDARD! With only ridged forks.
khe makes the rear hub. choose your fork and build the bike. personally i feel for some of the manufactures out there. to be perfectly honest most of us are not even worth of the bikes that we currently own (including myself). we are not great that of riders for the most part as well and will never come close to pushing the parts to there limit.

my biggest complaint is to people that are worried soo much about weight that they are more than willing to sacrifice strength and have the bike break, but then they go and wine to other people that their bike broke. get dh parts for dh bikes, stop buying single tracks and complain.

just my pet pev

also i have alot of experience in the matter having worked in a bike shop for over 7 years now

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
1. More white components - Vogue magazine said that white is in this spring.

2. More pain jobs like Specialized had in 07-08. More purple and paisleys.

3. Pink and mint green forks. They look good with white components.

4. Manufacturers and shops should build the bikes with the bars upside down since that is how everyone rides them.

5. Softer rims. Hard rims last too long.

6. More single pivot bikes.

7. Bikes with brake jack.

8. 35" wide bars

9. Sam Hill brand bikes

10. Stop making body armour. It's no longer "cool" to protect yourself.

11. Tighter jeans for the DJ crew.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
To all you industry types with blood pouring from your eyes, this is just the wish list. Most of us, I hope and prey, know that these requests are not deliverable immediately (or possibly ever). However, instead of getting offended that customers dare question your approach, take it as free market research.

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
Ohhh snap Cannon,Great job on that

Is that a press fit design? looks it. What material, what was the I.D. of the spindle?

I've been pondering doing the exact same thing with some Hones for a little while now, I think you've pushed me over the edge of "its possible" to just do it.

Assuming its press fit, how do you deal with rotating under high stress? I was thinking of welding a similar fixture on a set of Hones. If its not press fit, PM me more info on it. Thanks

CarlE

Monkey
Jan 7, 2008
Long Island, NY
To all you industry types with blood pouring from your eyes, this is just the wish list. Most of us, I hope and prey, know that these requests are not deliverable immediately (or possibly ever). However, instead of getting offended that customers dare question your approach, take it as free market research.
I try to stop reading when blood comes out of my eyes, LOL. I, being an industry type, wonder what company wouldn't listen to what consumers say they're looking for. Obviously, if some of these ideas were to be implemented you guys wouldn't see them for a year or two and some won't pass the cutting board but that's the nature of the beast.

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
Almost two years have passed since i created this thread.....

And Revelation comes with 20mm thru axle
Shimano realesed 4pot brakes
The new saint is equal a hone for 83mm (but way pricer of course, 20mm longer axle must be soooo expesiver to produce...)
Race face came with a light and strong 83mm cranks
Manitou realeased the new dorado with the features that i described in the first post

Last edited:

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
Almost two years have passed since i created this thread.....

And Revelation comes with 20mm thru axle
Shimano realesed 4pot brakes
The new saint is equal a hone for 83mm (but way pricer of course, 20mm longer axle must be soooo expesiver to produce...)
Race face came with a light and strong 83mm cranks
Manitou realeased the new dorado with the features that i described in the first post

ssshh they can here you!