Quantcast

Downwillers request to manufacturers....

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
Hopefully somebody working at the industry brands will read this.

We need:

-Shimano to make a 83mm Bottom bracket HONE crankset in 165 and 170mm crank lenghts.

-Deity to make a Low-rise version of their Handlebars (710mm)

-Fsa to make their Gravity light crankset in 7050 tv alloy.

-Cane Creek to make their Double Barrel shock more affordable.

-A fork manufacturer to make a position sensitive rebound damped fork with separate Hi-low speed rebound adjusters.

- A rock shock revelation with 20mm axle or a pike dual air with a 85-130mm travel change range.

These are mines so far....

add yours:monkey:

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
a reliable sub 7lb fork (yeah yeah yeah, talk up any fork you want but i've had an issue with each)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i would like the following:

-people stop worrying about what the pros are riding
-people getting the bikes super light just so they can jack off to it on a scale
-groms riding sam hill's jock

that's my list.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
-Deity to make a Low-rise version of their Handlebars (710mm)

dirty thirtys. buy em and cut em if they are to big for ya. 25mm rise

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
lol @ Jonkranked. So true...

a reliable sub 7lb fork (yeah yeah yeah, talk up any fork you want but i've had an issue with each)
Agreed. The first manufacturer to demonstrate to me that they can do this will win my cash.

I'd also like Shimano to make a Shadow Saint rear dérailleur, in a super short cage, non-rapid-rise version.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Manitou to make a revised xvert carbon, with 35mm legs, tpc+ damping and air spring. I loved that fork, light and buttery smooth......

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
mavic to make a ust 729
marzocchi bring back the shiver
shimano bring back the xt 4 piston brakes
michelin make a 2.5 and 2.7 version of the dh32
somebody to make a 2 inch rise 29+ wide bar for those of us who like higher bars
marzocchi to actually fill their products with oil :lighten:

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
-80mm Pike would be sweet
-50-70mm travel slalom/DJ frame (might exist, not up on my short travel stuff right now)
-thinner lock-on grips
-mass produced transmission (Think dirt bike style operation)
-Showa DH fork available to the rest of us shmoes

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
-mass produced transmission (Think dirt bike style operation)
Every dirt bike transmission is an integral part of the bike's design, completely specific to each manufacturer. Its made out of relatively robust and heavy cast aluminum and magnesium alloy, and they build them in quantities of over 60 thousand per model, for each manufacturer. Plus some parts (gears etc..) are shared across models to further cut cost. There aren't even close to 60,000 DH bikes sold in the world each year. Not even remotely close.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Every dirt bike transmission is an integral part of the bike's design, completely specific to each manufacturer. Its made out of relatively robust and heavy cast aluminum and magnesium alloy, and they build them in quantities of over 60 thousand per model, for each manufacturer. Plus some parts (gears etc..) are shared across models to further cut cost. There aren't even close to 60,000 DH bikes sold in the world each year. Not even remotely close.
The US really consumes that many DH bikes in a year? I figured the number would have been lower

banj

Monkey
Apr 3, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario
Why limit it to DH bikes. They're not the only ones that could benefit from an enclosed drivetrain.

danielsapp414

Monkey
Mar 27, 2005
Boone, NC
In reference to the Cane Creek Double Barrel:
sure, it's expensive, but it also works, a smart person once reminded me when I was debating spending the money that people will without thinking about it shell out the money for a Fox 40, or Boxxer World Cup, but then complain when a piece of rear suspension that works well costs more than a typical rear shock but still much much less than any "race" fork. There's really no point in having half of your suspension the best it can be and the other half be mediocre. Might as well just get a halfway decent fork and then a standard shock if you're going to do that. That is the real way to save some money. I'm not saying everyone with a nice fork should go buy a db, however, it's stupid to not put time into setting up the back half of your bike's suspension or having it properly tuned or having a shock that works extremely well if you're going to drop a grand or more on a fork for performance reasons.

Pbody

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Have the manufacturer's stop changing designs/technology/etc. every year AND slow down their R&D and senseless marketing . . . . . in order to cut costs allowing the retail price of a bike to come down so more people can get into the sport and grow the sport.

We'll never be able to compete with the popularity of skateboard and snowboards if the prices don't come down. And I know a lot of smaller companies will hate me for this, but eliminate the mass no. of companies out there with product. Market share is too split right now. Think moto. That industry has done well with only 3-4 major manufacturers of bikes. It still kills me that you have to pay just as much for a competitive DH bike as a Moto.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
trail nazi's to go phuq themselves.
The USFS to loosen up enough to not need a permit to move a rock on the trail.
Snow Summit to hold DH races again

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
a lightweight avalanche fork...

fewer flat bars...

another lawill bike...

a lightweight internal gear hub, with 7 speeds.

a reliable, solid set of brakes that don't need replacing yearly...

Racerx7734

Monkey
Mar 4, 2002
Hostile Sausage
1. Bring back the Mobster in 2.35, 2.5 and 2.7 with 3C dual ply.
2. More Dual Ply (DH) tires in smaller sizes, 2.25, 2.35
3. The Bike/Bike clothing industry to realize that there are ALOT of us who weigh in at 220 or more.
4. Prices to come down on EVERYTHING in the bike biz.....I could get a new Yamaha or 2 for what I have into my bike(s).
5. Racers should be forced to move up to the next class after a certain amount of wins in the lower class........so we dont have the HUGE sandbagging like we do at Sea otter and most of the other events. (see MotoX)
6. WTB Devo in white.
7. CB 50/50's with REAL pins so your feet dont slide off.
8. The white Vans flats on the cover of last months Decline........need to be for sale...in my size.
9. More Ti spring sizes for riders over 220
10. A Marzocchi 888 with Air in one leg and Coil in the other, best of both worlds. (see 07 66 RC2X as an example, NOT exact, I know)
11. The simplicity of the 2001 Monster T without the weight gain, just Rebound, Compression, Oil, Coils................no 90 page book to read to set your fork.
12. More 9" bikes.........why not?
13. Plastic MOTO style tire levers for DH tires. The metal scratch the rim and create more pinched tubes during instal in my opinion. The small blue PARK ones are great.......but to small.

Some of this stuff may be out already and I may just be an ASS in Reno........ok I'm an ass anyway.....but so?

ridefast

Monkey
Jan 25, 2006
Not where I'd like
In reference to the Cane Creek Double Barrel:
sure, it's expensive, but it also works, a smart person once reminded me when I was debating spending the money that people will without thinking about it shell out the money for a Fox 40, or Boxxer World Cup, but then complain when a piece of rear suspension that works well costs more than a typical rear shock but still much much less than any "race" fork. There's really no point in having half of your suspension the best it can be and the other half be mediocre. Might as well just get a halfway decent fork and then a standard shock if you're going to do that. That is the real way to save some money. I'm not saying everyone with a nice fork should go buy a db, however, it's stupid to not put time into setting up the back half of your bike's suspension or having it properly tuned or having a shock that works extremely well if you're going to drop a grand or more on a fork for performance reasons.
[/discussion on shock pricing]

OilCanRacer

Chimp
Feb 13, 2008
White brake lines that are light weight, durable and cheap.

internal hub same, light weight, durable and cheap

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
There aren't even close to 60,000 DH bikes sold in the world each year. Not even remotely close.
And at $6,500 a pop, there never will be. My $6k is going to a moto this year.

I can't possibly justify a $6k DH bike to my wife, but if I say I'm going to to buy a moto for $6k, she'll just ask what color I'm getting?

I know, it's the whole economies of scale-volume-chicken and egg thingy. I just think there are huge inefficiencies in the bike world, and they need to get sorted out to bring the prices back to reasonable levels.