Quantcast

Dragon + 29?

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
Hey all. Just built up my new 29er for the season, really excited on how nice it turned out. It's a 19' Jamis Dragon 29er w/ Fox F29 100mm front. King, XT cranks, Juicy 5's, Sunline Carbon bar, Easton Carbon post, WTB silverado saddle, XT hubs on Mavic 317's and WTB Stout front 2.3, Sram X9 all around and ergo grips I'm trying out. Haven't put it on scale but a quick loop around the block felt amazing. I was nervous about the 100mm fork but the HA doesn't feel dramatically different. I am coming from an GF excaliber and this feels way more nimble, especially with the shorter TT. What do you think? I race once in awhile but I built this with long epics/normal trail rides and racing in mind. Strong, light reliable. Now it needs to stop snowing!!!!!!

martini

Chimp
Nov 30, 2004
'Sconni
Looks great. I'm a dealer for Jamis, and am looking forward to getting one of those in for moi! Is the green matte or glossy?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'm hoping to get a Jamis in for Ridemonkey.com testing and review as well. Not sure which model it'll be though. Possibly the Dakota 29er - we'll see and I'll keep the forum posted as to where things stand with Jamis.

martini

Chimp
Nov 30, 2004
'Sconni
I've got a Dakota on the floor. Pretty nice bike - but then you'd expect me to say that. I doubt I'd ride one though - just not an aluminum fan. Years of Cannondales have turned me off the material. I know its better now...but still that stigma hangs on.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I prefer steel myself. But perhaps Jamis wants to get some exposure to their AL 29er in their line-up.

I saw a new Exile 29er today at lunch - very nice. I like how they give you a geared rear wheel with a spacer kit, so a conversion to geary is much easier (no need for a new rear wheel!).

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
The paint is glossy for sure. Looks amazing! I can't wait to get back on the steel HT and ride, been on aluminum for 2 years. I think Jamis did a great job on this bike other than the v mounts on the rear, I think most who ride this frame will run disc brakes. The price is very reasonable and Jamis certainly stands behind bikes (used to work at a dealer). Thanks for the compliments and I'll get some better pics. Photobucket automatically downsizes, maybe I need to upgrade to a pro account??

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Tmeyer - have you had much time on the Fox fork?

Any set up recommendations? ARe you getting the notorius Fox Clunk or are you Clunk Free.

Any set up tips - rebound, compression etc. that seem to be working well for you would be greatly appreciated by me. I'd like to get the Fox F29 (80mm version) dialled in a bit better on the Monkey Butt so testers won't have to worry much about it when they test ride it.

Thanks.

Mark

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
Tmeyer - have you had much time on the Fox fork?

Any set up recommendations? ARe you getting the notorius Fox Clunk or are you Clunk Free.

Any set up tips - rebound, compression etc. that seem to be working well for you would be greatly appreciated by me. I'd like to get the Fox F29 (80mm version) dialled in a bit better on the Monkey Butt so testers won't have to worry much about it when they test ride it.

Thanks.

Mark
I regret to inform you I don't. :disgust:but am planning on getting out on a road pedal this weekend and diving into the fork. It won't be much trail feedback but it'll be something. No clunk though, yet.

martini

Chimp
Nov 30, 2004
'Sconni
Not to totally derail this thread - but McMG - yes the Exile comes with a geared rear hub, spaced with a single cog. Get this. They use 33/21 gearing. Smart move in my mind. BUT, the cog is a standard geared cog. In combination with track ends, and a standard QR rear hub, this spells jumped chain all over the place. There's screws there for keeping tension - but they're small, and I bet pretty in-effective. So I replaced the cog w/a bmxican 20t. No worries now! I'm pretty impressed with the rest of the bike, and I don't like black bikes.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Lookin good Martini - weird that the Jamis follks wouldn't get the fact that they'd need a dedicated SS cog back there - but I guess that's that eh?

Looks sharp!

How's things going at the new shop???

Mark

martini

Chimp
Nov 30, 2004
'Sconni
Shops going quite well, thanks. Plenty for me to do. Keeps 'net surfing down - but I really don't mind that too much. It makes slower moving boards like RM and DR easier to deal with. Mtbeer is too fast, and frankly getting too boring to keep up with.