Quantcast

Dramatic Death at work today, just like the movies.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
dh girlie said:
I don't know if anyones taking offense...I'm not...I just think its sad that people are like well he deserved it...he was fat...I guess I was gone when people were making fun of the pope dying...that'll get you sent straight to hell :eek:
Well I don't take offense to anything unless it's about someone I know or the Red Sox. :D

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
I Are Baboon said:
Man, this place is hard to understand sometimes. The Pope dies and everyone has fun making jokes about it, then some fat guy dies and people take offense to the jokes.

(Note to self: Important religion figure dies, jokes are ok...random fat guy dies, tragedy)
I made some jokes about the pope myself, but they were not serious comments and they were not making light of nor taking joy in his dying. I think his death was sad and from a Christian standpoint significant, but at least he died after a long, presumably fulfilling life. I would much rather be remembered as the pope who died after like 137 years of service to others than some luckess sap who happens to synchronize his heart attack perfectly with teetering on the precipice by a faulty bannister. What if a normal-sized person tripped, another normal-sized person tried to catch them and both fell headling into that same railing? A resulting fall would surely be grounds for sympathy and suit.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
dh girlie said:
I don't know if anyones taking offense...I'm not...I just think its sad that people are like well he deserved it...he was fat..
I don't think anyone was saying he deserved it.... but he absolutely contributed to his own death. In ways that were avoidable.

-S.S.-

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
golgiaparatus said:
Holy crap! So did he make it or not... Title says "tragic death" but then you say emergency care. Either way that totally insane & awful & scary &...

Holy crap! :eek: :eek:

Well the official company line says "being treated" but how does one survive a 60 foot fall onto a marble table/floor. The table exploaded on impact. The whole reception area was covered in marble dust and chunks.

I mean they have to call the guys wife etc.

Besides we are pretty connected in the Chicago politics and if a DOA call came in OHSA would be here and that would = fines up the butt. The news papers don't even know yet.

johnbryanpeters said:
Death is inevitable. It's not special, it just happens, sooner or later. I can think of worse ways to go out, congestive heart failure, cancer, whatever.

Joking's a legitimate way to deal with it.

Yeah, death is fair game for humor, but you're going to hell if you joke about Internet fraud. :nope:

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
A sophomore at my high school that many of us knew died this morning from injuries sustained in a car crash last night. It sucks...bad.

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
riderx said:
Chew on this:
If he wasn't so fat that railing probably wouldn't have busted...
Can't agree with you on this. It doesn't sound like he took a running jump into the railing, yet it failed. Sounds to me like it was under-engineered. What if he had been of NFL proportions, say 6'5" and leaned on the rail and it failed? What if 3 or 4 average sized folks leaned on that rail and it failed?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
HarryCallahan said:
Can't agree with you on this. It doesn't sound like he took a running jump into the railing, yet it failed. Sounds to me like it was under-engineered. What if he had been of NFL proportions, say 6'5" and leaned on the rail and it failed? What if 3 or 4 average sized folks leaned on that rail and it failed?

Or what if he did not have a heart attack at all. What if he just leaned his giant azz on the rail, and it gave and he fell, and the company said, Yep, he must of had a heart attack, and fell into the rail.
Could be a lawsuit saving technique for you "conspiracy" types to ponder. :blah:

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
HarryCallahan said:

To clear this up in the official company memo:

He fell OVER the rail. and they just confirmed he died at Nothwestern from his injuries.

Sorry but originally they said it broke, now they say it didn't break.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
How does a 5'5" 300# guy accidentally fall OVER a rail that wasn't designed way too short? I doubt he had much of a vertical leap. Could this possibly be a suicide that was camoflauged for insurance purposes? i.e. life insurance doesn't pay on suicides

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
llkoolkeg said:
How does a 5'5" 300# guy accidentally fall OVER a rail that wasn't designed way too short? I doubt he had much of a vertical leap. Could this possibly be a suicide that was camoflauged for insurance purposes? i.e. life insurance doesn't pay on suicides
Now who's being crass? ;)

-S.S.-

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Hawkeye said:
Well the official company line says "being treated" but how does one survive a 60 foot fall onto a marble table/floor. The table exploaded on impact. The whole reception area was covered in marble dust and chunks.

I mean they have to call the guys wife etc.

Besides we are pretty connected in the Chicago politics and if a DOA call came in OHSA would be here and that would = fines up the butt. The news papers don't even know yet.
Terrible way to die. Makes me cringe just reading that. Really terrible, sorry to hear about all this. I'll say a prayer for his family.

And you guys can justify your poking fun at his death as much as you want, you're still assholes.

The Ito

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
llkoolkeg said:
Not hard at all if you are stumbling around in the midst of a heart attack. If it's a typical atrium style rail, most of us would need to bend down to lean on it, so with a little momentum (hello, 300 lbs coming at ya) I could see it happening pretty easily, you clip it at the waist and over you go.

Anyway there are a lot of people making unfair assumptions about this guy. I saw some humor in some of the comments but it got old pretty fast and just turned sad.

A lot of you seem to enjoy making fun of people who can't defend themselves - probably because you've tried fair fights before and lost.

Anyway it sounds like the beginning of new Six Feet Under episode...

KleinMp99

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
United States
SkaredShtles said:
What's so sad about death? It may have been sad for his family, but they should've seen this coming. And for everyone else it may be traumatic, but I can't see how it would be *sad* for them. :confused:

-S.S.-

Yes you are right, they should have **known** that he was going to fall 6 stories and die, at work. People survive heart attacks, and this person could turn his life around with a little stomach staple, major lipo....etc. Lots of people are just born fat, and are destin to live a fat life.

J

JRB

reflux said:
I am very disappointed that fellow monkeys would talk bad about either the dead or soon-to-be-dead, that's extremely bad taste and I have come to expect more from some of you.
:stupid:

J

JRB

After reading further, I am not sure who is and who is not an idiot around here. :confused: I hate to leave anyone out, but Lisa, mack, the ito, and LL stand out as pretty decent folks right now. I don't have the patience to read it again to add to the list. These stood out. Bummer for the guy and his family.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Thats nuts. The guy I replaced at work dropped dead of a heart attack in the office. Nothing nice. 57 years old, but a smoker.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
And in other news:

A Dundalk man weighing 800 pounds called for medical assistance yesterday, authorities said, forcing firefighters to call in a tactical rescue team, remove two doors, request a sling from the National Aquarium and transport him to the hospital on the wide flatbed of a county utility truck.

Jessie Keitz, the man's sister, said yesterday that her brother, John Keitz, 38, has been immobile for about four years. She said her brother, who has asthma, among other medical problems, had a doctor's appointment yesterday for a weight-related medical procedure, and that is why the family called for help.

John Keitz sleeps in a hospital bed in the living room and has to have his things - such as a computer, game system and portable stove - brought to him, his sister said. She said that her brother weighs at least 800 pounds and has been trying to lose weight so that he can walk again.
Link

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
How can someone stay that fat? Anyone who brings more than a total of, say, 3000-4000 calories/day to someone that can't even move should be booted to the skull.

bushwacker

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
Norcal :/
riderx said:
Chew on this:
If he wasn't so fat that railing probably wouldn't have busted...
Either way, I'm sure that there are a bunch of lawyer's salivating over the fact that the "safety" railing wasn't too safe.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
riderx said:
And in other news:

Link
I saw that on that ER show on like A&E or something...its not the made up show ER, it was real live ER situations. The guy was YOUNG. And they couldn't get him up to the floor where they had the equipment to treat heart failure. The doctor was shaking his head when he walked into the guys room and his mother had a big greasy meal in front of him...it was sad.

As for everyone making fun of the dude being fat. I have a sister who is obese. She has some serious psychological issues that have stemmed from her childhood. My dad was a total prick, didn't want anything to do with really any of us and he pretty much was too busy with his new single life to give an f about any of us kids. Shes quite a bit older than the rest of us and she was at a pretty vulnerable stage in life. Anyway, she has these issues, she is STILL at 50 years old trying to deal with these issues, yes she's had psychological help, but man if that happened to my sister and people were talkin like that about her I'd tell everyone of em to f the f off cuz shes way more of a person than a lot of people could only wish to be.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
SkaredShtles said:
Settle down. You're frothing.

-S.S.-
well...we're all psycho cuz of our dad...my other sister cries at the drop of a hat...once she called me crying hysterically...and my heart friggin dropped...I was scared to death...and she was saying something about someone dying...she is a big Eddie Money fan (believe it or not we ARE true, blood related sisters, same mom, same dad) anyway, she's freakin out about someone dying...I'm freaking cuz I'm thinkin it's a grandparent or one of our parents or something. I finally get it out of her that it was EDDIE MONEY who died...I was like WHAT? You call me crying hysterically over Eddie Money dying? Turns out it was Eddie Rabbit who died.

My brothers issues are...he cannot deal with serious situations without making a big joke out of everything...

Me...I blame everything on....MY DAD and his C word wife...hahaha!

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
Just to update this:

The person in question yelled out they were having a heart attack (in a effort to collect insurance I suppose) and then JUMPED over the railing. You read it right, JUMPED. At the hospital there was no evidence of a heart attack. Our CEO recieved a inter office envelope today with the note detailing the personal struggle that resulted in the leap.

The receptionist in the lobby had just started working here 2 weeks ago and is inthe hosptial as is his friend who rode to the hospital with the bloody mass that was a person.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Hawkeye said:
Just to update this:

The person in question yelled out they were having a heart attack (in a effort to collect insurance I suppose) and then JUMPED over the railing. You read it right, JUMPED. At the hospital there was no evidence of a heart attack. Our CEO recieved a inter office envelope today with the note detailing the personal struggle that resulted in the leap.

The receptionist in the lobby had just started working here 2 weeks ago and is inthe hosptial as is his friend who rode to the hospital with the bloody mass that was a person.
From the dude??? He wrote a suicide note to your CEO? holy crap...

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
dh girlie said:
From the dude??? He wrote a suicide note to your CEO? holy crap...

He put it in the interoffice mail, a message from the dead I guess.

The part that really burns about it is that we are a half block from the Chicago River and people jump in there all the time. If he had done it that way nobody would have had to see this.