Quantcast

Drat

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
So I just installed my brand new Juicy 5s. It appears they are in need of a bleeding. Both levers go straight to the bar. Hardly any stopping power.

This sucks arse.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Pull the wheel and pump them a time or two. Reinstall the wheel and see if that helps. Every pair of Juicy 3s on new bikes feel like crumbs until I do this.

It's worth a shot for you.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I've adjusted the reach on the lever, but that only brought it closer to the bar. How to adjust the throw? Nothing about that in the manual.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Pull the wheel and pump them a time or two. Reinstall the wheel and see if that helps. Every pair of Juicy 3s on new bikes feel like crumbs until I do this.

It's worth a shot for you.
remove the wheel then pull the lever? That doesn't sound right at all...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I've adjusted the reach on the lever, but that only brought it closer to the bar. How to adjust the throw? Nothing about that in the manual.
Same thing.

Think it is time for a bleed. Unfortunately the screw in fittings cost .30, the syringes and hyrdo fluid $39.70.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Bleeds can happen anytime. Maybe the brakes were shipped upside down.

I suppose it is easy for me to say because I have access to bleed kits and I do it every week on someone's bike.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van

I suppose it is easy for me to say because I have access to bleed kits and I do it every week on someone's bike.
Exactly. It is a process I'd like to learn, but I wasn't in the mood to learn just right now. This puts this weekend's ride in jeopardy...

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
What?? I was under the impression that with properly bled brakes this should be irrelevant. Or is my sarcasm meter broken? It's probably the not sleeping thing, but I am so confused.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
What?? I was under the impression that with properly bled brakes this should be irrelevant. Or is my sarcasm meter broken? It's probably the not sleeping thing, but I am so confused.
It is hard to determine why a pre-bled brake done 6-24 months ago in a foreign country would be soft now. I haven't seen a bike's brakes go soft because it was hanging upside down, but I don't chance it either.

I deal with a lot of complete bikes, which are typically shipped upright, and I haven't seen a Juicy brake totally soft, but soft enough that we typically rebleed 1 out of 5 brakes.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
OK- don't do it. I'm just telling you what makes Juicys on new bikes work for me.
I did this once in my truck, I had forgot to put the passenger side, rear wheel back on when I was bleeding the rear drivers side. I stepped on the brakes launched the pistons and boots across the driveway. :(

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I did this once in my truck, I had forgot to put the passenger side, rear wheel back on when I was bleeding the rear drivers side. I stepped on the brakes launched the pistons and boots across the driveway. :(
I'm talking "gentle nudges", not full on rip the lever off pulls.

btw - it's awesome when people finish a repair on their auto and they don't have all of the wheels on. :rofl:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
This is why Mail order is the suxors compared to LBS's
I did go the LBS route. The price was pretty good, and barely more when compared to mail order+shipping. Problem is this shop works bankers' hours, so it's gonna be hard to get it done.

MMike-not sure if Bart's got the bleed kit. I'll have to check.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I did go the LBS route. The price was pretty good, and barely more when compared to mail order+shipping. Problem is this shop works bankers' hours, so it's gonna be hard to get it done.

You didn't get a bleed kit with the brakes? What crap. See, with HAYES, they come with bleed kits. I've got like 4 of them....for Hayes....

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

That's too bad then. It is a bad deal if they don't have the kit, even for their own use.

Even if you installed them, I would still bleed them for free if I sold them to you.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
That's too bad then. It is a bad deal if they don't have the kit, even for their own use.

Even if you installed them, I would still bleed them for free if I sold them to you.
I've decided to take off early for lunch and bring it to the shop to ask the guy to set 'em up right. I'm pretty sure he will. I need my rear wheel straightened anyway and a few spokes replaced.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
So I just picked up my bike. The guy fumbles for the claim tag to find out how much he should charge. He finds it and there's no price. He asks what the other guy said it would cost. I said he didn't, but I was hoping it'd be free seeing how the brakes needed bleeding out of the box. He proceeded to tell me that I'd completely screwed up the installation. I admitted that it was my first crack, but that I figured that I could figure it out having told the guy what kind of wheel, hub and fork I had and that I was a "quick bolt on job".

He argued that they weren't responsible for "your labour". I said I understood that, but was hoping for a little service from my LBS since I'd bought them there rather than online. He repeated their lack of responsibility.

Then I propose that I'd buy a set of elbow pads if he called it even.

He tells me: "That sounds like blackmail to me."

"No, that's negotiation."

He refused and said that "blackmail is exactly what it is".

I smiled and paid the twenty bucks. Screw them, and I'll be buying online from now on.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
So I just picked up my bike. The guy fumbles for the claim tag to find out how much he should charge. He finds it and there's no price. He asks what the other guy said it would cost. I said he didn't, but I was hoping it'd be free seeing how the brakes needed bleeding out of the box. He proceeded to tell me that I'd completely screwed up the installation. I admitted that it was my first crack, but that I figured that I could figure it out having told the guy what kind of wheel, hub and fork I had and that I was a "quick bolt on job".

He argued that they weren't responsible for "your labour". I said I understood that, but was hoping for a little service from my LBS since I'd bought them there rather than online. He repeated their lack of responsibility.

Then I propose that I'd buy a set of elbow pads if he called it even.

He tells me: "That sounds like blackmail to me."

"No, that's negotiation."

He refused and said that "blackmail is exactly what it is".

I smiled and paid the twenty bucks. Screw them, and I'll be buying online from now on.
I would have to agree. If you, lets say, stripped a bolt during install, I would be inclined to charge you for tapping, because it is obviously your fault.

But if it took 15 minutes to bleed when I know I am in competition with mail order for your $$$, I would have done it for free.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Did you do anything other than just bolt them on ?

How exactly did you screw up the installation ?
I just bolted them on, but was missing a spacer to get the alignment right between the disc and the caliper. Only on the front, the rear just needed a bleed.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I just bolted them on, but was missing a spacer to get the alignment right between the disc and the caliper. Only on the front, the rear just needed a bleed.
Wow, you got some sh1ty service then.

If there are other shops in your area, give them a try before going the innerweb route. Developing a solid relationship with a LBS is beneficial for more than just service. A good shop can keep you informed about the local cycling community. It keeps you in the loop.

On the other hand, the shop guy probably knows your brother and took it out on you.:busted:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I had even just bought 2 raffle tickets from the other guy at the shop for his daughter's swim team. I hope I win the bike so I can throw it through the storefront window.