Quantcast

Dream job

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Anyone else find there dream job?

I have had my new/winter job for two months now. I have yet to stop for lunch and when the day is over I am not ready to quit. I work night but I have only had trouble getting up to go to work twice. It was not because I did not want to go in, I was just way over tired from not getting enough sleep the entire week.

Most jobs I have had, by the end of the first month I have settled in and the job is just a job. This is the first time I have still been excited about going to work for this long of a time.

Anyone else lucky enough to really find their dream job?

MTBstud12

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Tejas
Anyone else find there dream job?

I have had my new/winter job for two months now. I have yet to stop for lunch and when the day is over I am not ready to quit. I work night but I have only had trouble getting up to go to work twice. It was not because I did not want to go in, I was just way over tired from not getting enough sleep the entire week.

Most jobs I have had, by the end of the first month I have settled in and the job is just a job. This is the first time I have still been excited about going to work for this long of a time.

Anyone else lucky enough to really find their dream job?
Ive worked in a grocery store and a tire shop! you tell me!!

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
I get paid to camp and hike. I also live in a beautiful part of the country with some of the most interesting co-workers I've ever had.

9-5 can suck it. That and I can leave for the winter and spend it working/traveling in New Zealand without anyone at work getting mad at me.

I've been working different jobs and stuff for a while, this is the first one I see myself at for more than 10 months.

I wouldn't mind having Transcend's job though.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
:stupid: I have to have something to do.
Me too, and I don't much care what it is. I like working.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed about my new job. I wouldn't go so far to say it will be my dream job. My dream job is working for myself but that's for anther thread all together. But the research is interesting and important, it is a community focussed non-profit which is important to me, I will be working with some interesting people, I'll get to spend time with kids every day, I am 3 miles from my house, it pays better than I have ever been paid, and the contacts that I will make with this job will help me move up in public/community health when I am ready. So I guess you could say this is my dream first job. I'll get back to you in a month, when I've actually started. HA!

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I'm still trying to figure out what my dream job is. I had a friend that was a pro rock climber, and he said it was awesome until it became his job....instead of being out there to climb and have fun, you had to do it becuase it was your job. Point being, something fun can become not when you have to do it everyday. If I was rich, I would spend all of my time riding, hiking and traveling.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
if I didnt have/need a job, I sure as hell wouldnt be 'sitting home'
When you actually find your dream job, you'll realize it feels about as far from being a job as can be. I love what I do. It doesn't even feel like work despite living out of a suitcase for 9 months of the year and chasing paychecks from deadbeats.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I had my dream job. Or atleast I thought I did. My last day was yesterday in DC. I am home now. Not sure what I am going to do. I can't afford to sit around and I don't want to. Not to much demand for 40y/o freelance sound/light techs in Rochester NY right now though...

kev211

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
San Diago
Found mine. right now I intern at a super fun architecture firm. We have a blast! Well, they said they really liked my work, so when Im done with college they want me back as a full time, fully salaried employee! Sooooo, Im pretty much stoked on that :clapping::clapping::banana::cheers:

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
I get paid to camp and hike. I also live in a beautiful part of the country with some of the most interesting co-workers I've ever had.

9-5 can suck it. That and I can leave for the winter and spend it working/traveling in New Zealand without anyone at work getting mad at me.

I've been working different jobs and stuff for a while, this is the first one I see myself at for more than 10 months.
i am extremely jealous of your job, but hopefully i'll be able to do that once i get out of school. aside from just getting outside and racking up experience, any other tips for getting into that line of work? feel free to pm me so we don't clutter up the thread.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Work definitely fills a void of time I am not sure I could keep full for a long time. Yeah it would be great not having to work but I think after a year I would need something to help fill my time.

Besides can you call driving one of these work?

Stray_cat

Monkey
Nov 13, 2007
Providence
I absolutely hate the idea of a dream job. I was suckered into that ideology once. I beat my drum to Ann Rand, went to college, and got my dream job. I now design bikes, and Kayaks (simultaneously). I even just filled out the tax paper work with friend for our own company. But to be honest after it's all said and done, it doesn't matter. Yeah, it's nice to make money off an ideal, but that's all it is, a money making ideal (though sometimes not much). Surly we can dream more meaningful than just a job. Sorry…best not to get me started on this topic. Do want you wanna do, just don’t mistake it for something as tangible as dream. You can really screw yourself.

I think a dream job is when you wake up every morning excited to go to work, to the point where it doesnt feel like work. I know every job has its own built in BS but when you find a job that makes it worth it, then thats a dream job, regardless of the paycheck. I know there are a lot of downsides to being a real pro downhiller or freerider but thats a dream job of mine

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
I never saw myself driving a snowcat. It was just something to do for the winter. As Frontrange said a dream job is something you do not mind waking up in the morning to go do. It will always have some work aspect to it.

I hope it is a clear morning tomorrow. I am taking my camera in hopes of some killer sunrise pics.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I absolutely hate the idea of a dream job. I was suckered into that ideology once. I beat my drum to Ann Rand, went to college, and got my dream job. I now design bikes, and Kayaks (simultaneously). I even just filled out the tax paper work with friend for our own company. But to be honest after it's all said and done, it doesn't matter. Yeah, it's nice to make money off an ideal, but that's all it is, a money making ideal (though sometimes not much). Surly we can dream more meaningful than just a job. Sorry…best not to get me started on this topic. Do want you wanna do, just don’t mistake it for something as tangible as dream. You can really screw yourself.

Just because you got screwed into something you didn't enjoy doesn't mean the rest of the world will.

I enjoy what I do, I'd do it if i didn't get paid. I get up every morning, in some obscure part of the world, and I look forward to what I have to do.