Quantcast

Dream Jobs

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Ironically, I would like to be functional enough to actually be able to get a job.
Forced retirement with no formal daily structure due to my fucking head really really sucks.
I don't have the head issues, but this is my early retirement fear. No daily structure with no sense of accomplishment. I think I'd want a hobby/side hustle even if I were wealthy enough to retire at 55. Tour guide? Security guard? Groundskeeper? I dunno, something to keep me around people and busy.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I don't have the head issues, but this is my early retirement fear. No daily structure with no sense of accomplishment. I think I'd want a hobby/side hustle even if I were wealthy enough to retire at 55. Tour guide? Security guard? Groundskeeper? I dunno, something to keep me around people and busy.
My uncle did the game show circuit for like 3 years, then got a job in the Home Depot garden section because he got WAY into gardening in retirement.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Bike mechanic 20 hours per week in the summer and downhill ski coach 20 hours per week in the winter. Obviously both would have to come with generous compensation packages or I would already be doing them.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have taken a few years off of working over the past 15 years, it was awesome. Now that I am well above caught up on my retirement savings I realize I can't retire early because I need health insurance. So now considering ways to fuck off from working again. Health insurance for a full time student is actually reasonable but going back to school once was enough . Need to find a way to get an extended "leave of absence" from work.

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ya'll talking about fancy free time killers, not jobs. :monkeydance:
Exactly.

There's no "dream job" for me. If it's a job, it's not the dream.

The dream is doing whatever the fuck you want, whenever you want to do it. If that includes part time at a hardware store, that's cool, but that's not a dream job, it's just a diversion.

Currently doing some early retirement planning. I'm sure it'll involve some working, just to keep active. But if the necessity is removed, that's the dream.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I have taken a few years off of working over the past 15 years, it was awesome. Now that I am well above caught up on my retirement savings I realize I can't retire early because I need health insurance. So no considering ways to fuck off from working again. Health insurance for a full time student is actually reasonable but going back to school once was enough . Need to find a way to get an extended "leave of absence" from work.
Have you looked at what your actual taxable income will be in retirement? If some of that "income" is Roth or comes out of taxable brokerage accounts, the health insurance subsidies might be pretty decent. And you can weight your Roth withdrawals to earlier in your retirement years to cover the gap until medicare.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
A free house that’s hardly inhabitable and will take thousands and plenty of labor to get it workable. Then you get to live in a depressing ghost town, far from services. And while you fix up yours, everything else in the village continues to crumble. Sounds terrible to me. I looked at some of the pics on the site you sent and yeah, hell.

What would be more interesting personally is a house in a town/village that needs some tlc.

This general phenomenon is happening all over Europe. The success rate of these villages turning around has been very low to nil.
I forget where I watched a video on some of these towns. But you basically pay the small cost (often its an auction) for the residence and then must commit to something like 60k in renovations. It might have been more or less than 60k, but it wasn't an insignificant amount of dollars. And some of the spots were absolute dumps.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Have you looked at what your actual taxable income will be in retirement? If some of that "income" is Roth or comes out of taxable brokerage accounts, the health insurance subsidies might be pretty decent. And you can weight your Roth withdrawals to earlier in your retirement years to cover the gap until medicare.

I was just assuming at this point that personal health insurance would be unaffordable at that point.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Growing and processing delicious organic foods. Then selling direct to consumers for maximum profit.

I want to do a trail mix business where all ingredients are grown on one farm and processed there also. From dirt to packaging - all in house - with an emphasis on simple ingredients and flavor.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Growing and processing delicious organic foods. Then selling direct to consumers for maximum profit.

I want to do a trail mix business where all ingredients are grown on one farm and processed there also. From dirt to packaging - all in house - with an emphasis on simple ingredients and flavor.
Do you know how to grow peanut M&Ms?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Do you know how to grow peanut M&Ms?
Dammit ok there will be the purist line and also the chocolate line of mixes.

I have done some research into peanuts and I think it's possible to raise them commercially in the WA desert but the infrastructure needed to process the raw nuts is large and complex.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Dammit ok there will be the purist line and also the chocolate line of mixes.

I have done some research into peanuts and I think it's possible to raise them commercially in the WA desert but the infrastructure needed to process the raw nuts is large and complex.
Makes sense, takes me a few minutes to process two nuts.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I was just assuming at this point that personal health insurance would be unaffordable at that point.
It's possible. My assumption is that pricing won't get a lot worse.

And if it does, well, maybe I'll have to adjust my plan. But there are worse things than hanging onto a bare-minimum, low stress job that provides health coverage.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It's possible. My assumption is that pricing won't get a lot worse.

And if it does, well, maybe I'll have to adjust my plan. But there are worse things than hanging onto a bare-minimum, low stress job that provides health coverage.

I wish that were so simple. I get bored horribly easily. I actually like a good intellectual challenge. There just aren't too many jobs out there that are low stress and require minimal time. I'd probably need to be my own boss to make that happen, which usually requires more work than I am willing to put into it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Health care/ insurance needs to be separated 100% from employment.

I have my own probably not too fake conspiracy theory that a lot of motivation behind a private healthcare system is to maintain a large class of people that are indentured to corporate servitude.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I assumed a lot of things when I retired. Healthcare provided by the Union was one of them. It is subpar at best. The out of pocket expenses for unplanned events has taken a bite out of my nest eggs. The Pension plan being solvent was another variable I had not planned for also. I am lucky that I was able to have a plan outside of my Pension. Plan for yourself also. As cyclist we are pretty healthy. Most everyone else isn't. By the time you get my age all of your personal liabilities will start dropping like flies. Over Insure everything. I will use the Motorcycle as a example. I over spent on it. There will be a day when you can no longer safely ride it. If you buy a good one you can sell it at that time and make some money off it. A motorcycle and trailer combo is more attractive to a buyer then just the motorcycle. Do not (I repeat) do not buy a boat. Poor investments all around.... Camps that have a only one primary use also. There will come a day when you can't climb a tree stand or field dress a large animal. If you need to involve people in any activity you may have failed in your planning. As you age you will become acutely aware of how unreliable others are. Trust me on this one. Plan for yourself first, then include others as your budget permits....

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I forget where I watched a video on some of these towns. But you basically pay the small cost (often its an auction) for the residence and then must commit to something like 60k in renovations. It might have been more or less than 60k, but it wasn't an insignificant amount of dollars. And some of the spots were absolute dumps.
Here is a good one on Galicia: