Quantcast

Drilling a Manitou Swinger eyelet to use Fox bushings?

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Been thinking about doing this for a while. on my old SGS DH the mounting hardware was designed for a 5th (same as Fox) and the "bodged" OEM split shock pin that came with the Manitou equipped frames just doesn't work. never did! I did get a different reducer kit made by Pearse Cycles in the UK that worked for a while but it's now shagged too.

looks to me like there'll still be enough material in the shock if I have it drilled out slightly larger, anybody ever done this? or any reason it's a terrible idea?
Does anybody know what diameter a Fox eyelet is? (not the bushing size, the hole the bushing sits in).

Thanks.

Ps. Switching the swinger for a Fox/5th would be ideal but I don't want to resort to anything that's gonna cost a too much as I'm only wanting to sort it once and for all before selling the bike on.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Done it before. Actually had "toodles" on here do it for me. Had no dramas.

Being a lazy bastard I didn't read your post, just replied to it haha. :)

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Cool, thought as much.

do you by any chance remember the diameter it needed drilled to or should I PM toodles?

Ta in advance.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Fox's eyelet is 15mm diameter. Giant Maestro bikes have git Fox shocks installed W/O bushing. They call it co-pivot.
BUT, it works because co-pivot is on 4 bearings (2 in the frame and 2 in the bottom link) and doesn't move in relation to the shock.
Give me a while, so I could find a link to Glory with Evovler.

Here it is http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227559

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Cheers!

<EDIT> er.. hold on, just seen UDI's post in the bushing thread on this page an he's said it's 14mm.. Hmm.. just gonna have to measure then it I s'pose

Last edited:

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Yeah couldn't possibly be 14mm. I've done it too for my SGS years ago, it's fine. What you're even better off doing is replacing the shock though ;)

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Awezome. I was wondering about doing this since I was planning on using a revox with a roco as a back up. Now I don't have to buy 2 sets of reducers, yay!