Quantcast

Drilling HOLES in your fork does NOT make it LIGHTER!

DieselX

Monkey
May 26, 2004
New York City
I just sold my hardtail and buidling a Steelhead, BMX style. Rigid fork, 24's, profiles, you get the point.

I bought a Trek Bruiser fork from a local for 20 bucks, but that thing weighs a ton! I thought a rigid would lighten my bike, instead it weighs more than an average 100mm fork. 4lbs and 12.5oz to be exact. So I think, I'll drill some holes, lose some weight, it'll still be strong since its chromoly...

My plan was to to make 30 holes total. 7 on each side of the leg in the front, and 8 on the side, so it would be in between the other holes.

Get what I'm saying? Well doesnt matter because I didn't make the holes on the side anyway.

You know what I hate? When batteries die after 10 minutes! Fuking gay @ss drill...

I made 17 holes total. 7 on each side, 1 in the center, and 2 in the bottom of the legs. When I say holes, I mean all the way through the fork(basically 2 holes).

The edges were a little rough so I sanded em down. Yea looks crappy, eh?

The best part... you know how much weight I lost? Please guess before you look at the next picture...

Okay don't laugh. I know I wasted a ****load of time for nothing...

I LOST A FREAKIN OUNCE! 1 fukin ounce...

Moral of the story: don't try to modify your bike parts, just buying something else instead.

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
Dude.. Wtf. Drilling holes in things went out in the 80s. It was beacuse things BROKE. A generic alum 26" fork isnt that expensive.

ANdrew

DieselX

Monkey
May 26, 2004
New York City
I have a generic aluminum fork. I'm scared of that thing bending. It won't survive in a skate park...

By the way, I'm gunna get this fork powder coated. The bike will look pEEMp.

And if I don't like it, I'll just get a dirt jumper or somethin...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
the only thing I'd drill a hole in is my skull... mmmmm brainbloodvolume.

Anywho, nice whiffleball fork ya got.

DieselX

Monkey
May 26, 2004
New York City
You know guys, its not like I took a freak Fox Terra Logic and drilled holes in it. It's a beater rigid fork I'm experimenting on. And I know nothing will happen to it, it's full chromoly and those holes did nothing to it.

Atleast I get some ideas, and I do try **** out and instead of making fun of others.

Next project: helium filled downhill frames... just kidding

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
DieselX said:
Next project: helium filled downhill frames... just kidding
won't really do anything.

However, I like my idea of coating the insides of the tubes and filling 'em with water. Absorbs vibration, until you drink it up. Yup, you'd have a hose to drink from. Then you piss into the tubes and pedaling will filter the water like those Dune suits.

Holy crap, I need a life.

Feb 14, 2004
SoCal
DieselX said:
I just sold my hardtail and buidling a Steelhead, BMX style. Rigid fork, 24's, profiles, you get the point.

I bought a Trek Bruiser fork from a local for 20 bucks, but that thing weighs a ton! I thought a rigid would lighten my bike, instead it weighs more than an average 100mm fork. 4lbs and 12.5oz to be exact. So I think, I'll drill some holes, lose some weight, it'll still be strong since its chromoly...

My plan was to to make 30 holes total. 7 on each side of the leg in the front, and 8 on the side, so it would be in between the other holes.

Get what I'm saying? Well doesnt matter because I didn't make the holes on the side anyway.

You know what I hate? When batteries die after 10 minutes! Fuking gay @ss drill...

I made 17 holes total. 7 on each side, 1 in the center, and 2 in the bottom of the legs. When I say holes, I mean all the way through the fork(basically 2 holes).

The edges were a little rough so I sanded em down. Yea looks crappy, eh?

The best part... you know how much weight I lost? Please guess before you look at the next picture...

Okay don't laugh. I know I wasted a ****load of time for nothing...

I LOST A FREAKIN OUNCE! 1 fukin ounce...

Moral of the story: don't try to modify your bike parts, just buying something else instead.
Well look at how much material you took out.

Barely any, so what'd you expect?

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
holy crap, if you want to drop weight off something drill some real holes- with those tiny things im shocked you lost as much as an ounce :). back when i cared i drilled 1" holes between my spokes on my rims for the rear and 15/16" holes in the front.

DieselX

Monkey
May 26, 2004
New York City
Yea I wanted to make the holes bigger but I don't have a drill bit big enough. I will buy a bigger drill bit and see if I drop anymore ounces. heeh

DieselX

Monkey
May 26, 2004
New York City
I don't want the steertube snapping, but I did drill a couple of holes in it. They were tiny though. That steertube is really thick actually, and weighs probly as much as the legs...

I think I'm gunna dump this fork and get a Planet X that some dood is sellin

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
Dude if nothing else you could always say it was for wind resistance. I bet it wistles like a beast now

The best way to shave ounces, is to drill holes in your tires!!!!!! seriously it works
I know this guy who totally owned on race day because he drilled holes in his tires, you should try it.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
If only there was SOME WAY of predicting how much weight would have been saved before setting out on this doomed journey..... what a cruel, cruel universe we live in....

I suggest cutting one leg of the fork completely off. The fork would weigh almost half as much!!!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
golgiaparatus said:
So you drilled holes in your current fork instead? Makes good sense to me.
I think he used the drill on his frontal lobe.

DieselX

Monkey
May 26, 2004
New York City
golgiaparatus said:
So you drilled holes in your current fork instead? Makes good sense to me.
what the fuk are you talkin about? This is the same fork we're talkin about, it's not on the bike, and I'm probly not even gunna use it.

Err drill holes in his brain ha HA HAAA