Quantcast

Drilling HOLES in your fork does NOT make it LIGHTER!

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
DieselX said:
...know nothing will happen to it, it's full chromoly and those holes did nothing to it...
You will eat these words about a tenth of a second before you eat the pavement. Chromoly doesnt necessarily mean strong, especially when it's crappy cromoly and some moron drilled holes in it. If there seems to be a consensous that you are stupid for doing this, that's because you are.

DieselX

Monkey
May 26, 2004
New York City
TheInedibleHulk said:
You will eat these words about a tenth of a second before you eat the pavement. Chromoly doesnt necessarily mean strong, especially when it's crappy cromoly and some moron drilled holes in it. If there seems to be a consensous that you are stupid for doing this, that's because you are.
Just to make you happy, I'm getting a Planet X fork...

but then I'm gunna take a smaaall drill bit, and drill out "TheInedibleHulk" on each leg. WOWzers

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
firetoole said:
Dude if nothing else you could always say it was for wind resistance. I bet it wistles like a beast now
Yup, better get a patent on that design quick. The "Deer Whistle Rigid MTB Fork" is the George Foreman grill of the mass-marketing future. You got that patent yet? Hurry up before my *corded* drill and my endless supply of crappy steel forks make me a multi-millionaire!

PS No I don't have any crappy steel forks for anyone to buy. Please don't PM me for one.

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
Jekyll800 said:
drilling holes in alot of things wont save you weight ;)
actually it does. just not when you drill tiny little things every 1.5 inches. drill big holes as often as you can and you save some weight. just from getting clever with my rims i shaved nearly a pound from my bike in 03 when i thought it mattered.

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
Drilling holes in a mammoth rim is a far cry from drilling holes in your fork, but anyone that desperate to wind up in the hospital has my respect.

Jekyll800

Chimp
Jan 12, 2002
Connecticut
WhiteRavenKS said:
actually it does. just not when you drill tiny little things every 1.5 inches. drill big holes as often as you can and you save some weight. just from getting clever with my rims i shaved nearly a pound from my bike in 03 when i thought it mattered.

No see that was a sexual ref...nevermind

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
what amuses me is the tone of the initial post....like it's a public service announcement.

Indeed there were throngs of us...with cordless drill poised about to start drilling our forks as well, when all of a sudden....

"Hello? what's this? Drilling holes WON'T make my fork lighter? I'd best read this thread post haste!"

And I'm going to market my one legged cro-mo fork idea and call it "The Amputee".... that will be totally 'core.